AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got digital cable, which requires a box to tune the premium channels. So I connected the S-Video Out from the cable box to Input 2 on my Replay, while the RF input is still connected directly to the coax coming from the wall (the coax is split 3 ways: 1 to the TV directly, 1 to the Replay, and 1 to the cable box).

The problem I have is that the Replay will no longer change channels using its internal tuner (which would allow me to record using the internal tuner while watching a different channel on the cable box) -- whenever I change channels on the Replay, it uses the IR blaster to change channels on the cable box, even when I have selected the RF input! Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Gary

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
If you have *both* input sources configured, then the "internal tuner" channels have been remapped from 1000-1099. If you use those channels, it will not use the IR blaster, and will instead use the internal tuner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
If you have *both* input sources configured, then the "internal tuner" channels have been remapped from 1000-1099. If you use those channels, it will not use the IR blaster, and will instead use the internal tuner.

SFHUB - Just making sure that I understand...

If we have CATV/ANT defined as "cable w/o a box", and IN 2 defined as "cable WITH a box", the program guide displays the extra range 1000-1099. (I tried it, and mine DOES create the new range.)

If we now schedule recordings on channels 1000+, RTV will go to its own tuner on CATV/ANT and not change the cable box? If this works, that's a nearly perfect solution!

Too bad the RTV tech support people I've talked to aren't aware of this. One of them was flat-out rude, like I was an idiot for trying to use more than one RTV input. Well, if RTV is meant to use ONE input, why are there THREE sets of inputs?

BTW - Comcast cable in my area just changed their menu system. You can now make the digital cable boxes tune themselves on a schedule, kind of like DTV satellite boxes. That's another solution to our problem, but you'd have to program the CATV box (to tune the station) and the RTV box (to start a manual record on IN 2).

Thanks again for the help! Gonna go see if this works...

-Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, SFHUB, that tip was perfect!

I moved all my non-digital scheduled recordings to that new channel range, and RTV does indeed use the internal tuner instead of taking over the cable box.

I can now watch the cable box while RTV records a different non-digital channel, and I can *easily* record digital channels by allowing RTV to take control of the cable box.

Very cool. Thanks again!

-Brad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried it too and it does indeed remap all the analog channels to the 1000-1099 range and they use the internal tuner, which works great. :)

The only problem now is that the analog audio coming from the cable box does not go out the coaxial digital cable from the Replay to the receiver. So it looks like I'll have to switch to analog audio out from the Replay but that's no big deal.

Thanks again,

- Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.