AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of us have decided the 5k is a piece of crap.

If you've had problems with the tuner please share your problem with the group.

I wish the poll could be check boxes, but this is radio buttons, so the choices are a bit vague...

·
Registered
31 Posts
So far looking at the results it appears that 15% have issues with the tuner. Could it be that the folks that do not have problems either do not have the latest software or that there configuration is different ( for example using the ir blaster with a satellite/cabe box which means the RTV tuner is not used extensively). I am just saying that it may be configuration dependant and if we all have the same setup we would all have the same problem.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have added some options for "had problems, but fixed with software upgrade"

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And like the other 5k problem poll, it would be nice to be able to vote more than once if you have more than one 5k box.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 5k has problem getting TV signal using the buildin TV turner. I think the 5k TV turner is a piece of junk!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I voted 'no problem', but I confess that if I had some hiss in the audio, I don't notice it as the RTV runs thru the TV's speakers, and not thru a home theater system. I don't care much about the audio quality in the RTV room.

·
Registered
744 Posts
2 5040s, both use the tuner to catch OTA locals. Since there are only7 local channels to catch (not counting religious and espanol), it doesn't get that much use. I do use it for most of my football content and it has worked great for me with no complaints thus far.

My problem is that I find the shows recorded from antenna often look better to my eyes than some of the shows I record from the "basic cable" satellite channels (USA, TBS) which suffer from some pretty bad compression artifacting.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
And like the other 5k problem poll, it would be nice to be able to vote more than once if you have more than one 5k box.
I think you're referring to me in that poll.

Anyway, I think it's obvious that the tuner in the 5xxx series is definitely a POS...IMO. Maybe others have different experiences; and I'd like to hear from them and maybe include a description (part#, build date, etc.) or better yet a screen-shot of the actual tuner too see if there has been any significant changes between machines.

Mine, as I've stated in previous posts, is FAR from perfect. My main complaint is the audio hiss issue; secondly is the need for a VERY strong and clean signal to reproduce any 'good' quality recordings...noise/and/or a weak signal wreaks havoc on this tuner (again, my experience....YMMV I assume).

I'm still actively researching other possibilities; maybe even mods to the current tuner to refine its' performance.

If ANYONE is using the internal tuner on a 5xxx series (no external boxes; cable; satellite, etc.), please let us know the details, and post a screen shot of the tuner if possible.

*I voted in your poll; FWIW

·
Registered
398 Posts
You forgot to include an option for generally horrible picture quality.

Try doing an A-B comparison between the 5000 series tuner and any other tuner (TV, VCR, STB, etc). Does the contrast look washed out? Does the sharpness look soft and out of focus? You can't just blame the MPEG compression. My Showstopper's tuner looks terrific, while I find the 5000's tuner so unwatchable I don't even use it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
- Replay 5k refurb

- Pre-amp'd antenna in the attic.

- Signal from amp is sent through splitter, one side goes to Replay, the other goes to another splitter so signal goes to two more rooms.

In this setup the picture is great! Just as quality as in any of the other rooms. I can record at medium on build 110 and have better than VHS quality.

When I first got the Replay the signal from one leg of the first splitter was put into an additional three-way splitter to feed a VCR, stereo, and the TV. I disconnected the VCR and put the Replay in its place. The signal was terrible. I had to record on high to make it watchable.

I've had a similar experience with PVR cards with built-in tuners. I figure these companies must use a cheap tuner to hit a price point.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Oh yeah,

Hooked up the in-laws Replay in place of their VCR. Quality is just as good as they were receiving, though the Replay itself added 'noise' to all other tuners in the house (thinking of putting an RF choke on it).

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Jeff,

I don't know if you caught this post that I added in the 'audio hiss' thread, but I have been able to fix the hiss problem for the most part. Here's a copy of the post:

Your question - chain, any chance you can select you audio decoding? Can you select stereo only? I'm curious if it's a problem with the prologic encoding when mpeg encoded.

I'll download the clips later on.

And my reply with and updated edit -

Jeff,

Yes, I can and have changed the audio decoding; DTS, DD 5.1, Pro-Logic, surround, stereo, etc.

The 'hiss' is only amplified using any setting when run through the receiver; I even tried using different DSP settings to try and quiet the sound; no luck. I just gave up trying to use my receiver, and only use the the TV's internal speakers which doesn't amplify the signal to the point that I notice the hiss. The short term fix is going to be using an analog cable box until I find a suitable replacement for the internal Replay tuner.

***edit*** I haven't tried using my receiver for a while since giving up on trying to solve the hiss issue. In the mean time, I've tweaked my video amp a bit, and also my cable (Comcast) channel line up changed.

Well just for grins, I figured I try it out once more after reading some other posts on this and related issues. FYI, I use the toslink (optical) audio connection. I am pleased (and somewhat confused) to say the hiss has been greatly reduced...even GONE on some channels! I can actually use my receiver for a majority of recordings (and enjoy surround sound) with only minor or no hiss whatsoever. There are still a few channels where the problem is bad enough to be annoying.

I'm thinking this is the same issue as the the video problems; a weak signal GREATLY affects the quality of the video using the internal tuner. Apparently the same applies to the audio. I can't explain why I couldn't get any satisfactory results in the past. I'm using the same video amp and tweaked the hell out of it before, so maybe the channel line up change had something to do with it???

I'm OK with the video quality; not perfect, but it's better now with the new channel line-up. I'm thinking Comcast my have tweaked things on their end, improving both my video and audio quality. This tuner is REALLY affected by weak/noisy signals...and I still think it's a POS.

I WILL find a replacement internal tuner if it kills me! And when I do, I'll be sure to post it. (OK, maybe that's wishful thinking, but I'm determined to find a high quality replacement tuner.)

Anyway, I'm happy. It's not perfect, but a BIG improvement. Now I can honestly say I have NO major problems with this unit...keeping my fingers crossed.;)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobcrane
When I first got the Replay the signal from one leg of the first splitter was put into an additional three-way splitter to feed a VCR, stereo, and the TV. I disconnected the VCR and put the Replay in its place. The signal was terrible. I had to record on high to make it watchable.

[/b]
No doubt the signal after the 3 way split was poor....

Line In-> 2 way splitter (-3.5 dB drop, 1/2 signal level) -> 3 way splitter (-7 dB MORE, some 3 way splitters give on -3.5dB and 2 -7dB legs, most give 3 -7 dB legs) So a -11dB or 1/6th the incoming signal strength.

The replay tuner is bad enough with a -3.5 dB loss nevermind a -11dB. Glad to hear you got the amp and changed the wiring to get the replay the strongest signal.

Creech, yah I saw your post. I think the problem is a combination of, signal strength, the replayTV tuner, and what ever your provider is doing to the signals. Fustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm using analog cable that is amplified as soon as it comes into the house. The signal is split to the RTV and the TV. The TV signal is then split with a 3-way splitter to go to other rooms. All of my pictures were "sub-par" so I re-wired the house with RG6 Quad Shield with high quality Digicon connectors and high quality splitters. That made a noticeable improvement. I don't have any of the symptoms described in the poll.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kbohlmann
I'm using analog cable that is amplified as soon as it comes into the house. The signal is split to the RTV and the TV. The TV signal is then split with a 3-way splitter to go to other rooms. All of my pictures were "sub-par" so I re-wired the house with RG6 Quad Shield with high quality Digicon connectors and high quality splitters. That made a noticeable improvement. I don't have any of the symptoms described in the poll.
Wow, 4x shielding... most people shouldn't have a need for quad shielding. But good to know it works better. Most people don't think about the cable that's in the house. That cable could be 30 years old... The quality of the cables can make a HUGE difference.

How about telling all what you used for the cable? For my AV interconnects I make out of belden 1695A coax, dual shielding with 98% coverage. That's way too expensive to use as the "cable". For my RG-6 just I just use the dual shielded Carol RG-6 (not RG-59) you can get at home depot. At 500' for $45 it's a deal. =)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
No doubt the signal after the 3 way split was poor....

Line In-> 2 way splitter (-3.5 dB drop, 1/2 signal level) -> 3 way splitter (-7 dB MORE, some 3 way splitters give on -3.5dB and 2 -7dB legs, most give 3 -7 dB legs) So a -11dB or 1/6th the incoming signal strength.

The replay tuner is bad enough with a -3.5 dB loss nevermind a -11dB. Glad to hear you got the amp and changed the wiring to get the replay the strongest signal.
Yep, I knew what it was the second I saw it. Just goes to show you the difference in quality when my TV and VCR didn't blink at the loss.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an audio problem with my 5k. It is less of a hiss and more of a high-pitched background noise. It is only audible when there is no strong sound in the program. It happens on all channels, however, some are louder than others are so I don’t have to turn the amp up as high, and you don’t hear it in the quiet parts. This problem did not occur when I first received my Replay. It started in the middle of a show out of the blue one night and has always done it since. I can’t say if it was affected by a software release as it downloaded the new version as soon as it was set up. I had used it for 2 weeks before the sound problem occurred.

Here is my setup: Video = Coax -> RTV ->TV (Via S-Video). Audio = Coax -> RTV -> Sony Receiver (Via RCA) -> Speakers.

All coax wiring is RG6 dual shielded. I have tried several things to resolve the issue: Connected the coax from the cable feed directly to the incoming cable line to bypass the splitter – No Change. Put on an in line signal amp. – No Change.

The problem only occurs on the signal from the RTV tuner. If I hook up my VCR to a Line In and use it to tune channels the audio problem is corrected. I had a Showstopper in the 5k’s position previously and it had not audio defect.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rod, it seems the replay folks are playing with the tuner software. It kinda makes sense that anything they do could effect video, audio or both.

The best bet is to get you source signal as good as you can. See the sticky Troubleshooting thread for info I posted on this topic.

The 5k tuner is super sensitive and most likely causing ReplayTV more than what they saved by going with this cheaper part.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.