AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting the construction of my home theater and I'm planning on 10-2'x4'x2" acoustical panels around the room. I was thinking of backlighting these instead of doing a typical sconce. Has anyone done this. I can't find pictures.

Since I haven't started the studs yet I was thinking of adding outlets behind each panel all tied to a lutron RF dimmer and wall switch. I could space the panel out about 2-3" from the wall and use about 8' of rope lighting to wrap each panel mounted 6" in from the outside. I may add some frosted flexible plastic to help dispearse the light better as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npc2396 /forum/post/19645598

I'm just starting the construction of my home theater and I'm planning on 10-2'x4'x2" acoustical panels around the room. I was thinking of backlighting these instead of doing a typical sconce. Has anyone done this. I can't find pictures.

Since I haven't started the studs yet I was thinking of adding outlets behind each panel all tied to a lutron RF dimmer and wall switch. I could space the panel out about 2-3" from the wall and use about 8' of rope lighting to wrap each panel mounted 6" in from the outside. I may add some frosted flexible plastic to help dispearse the light better as well.

Sounds like an awesome idea to me! You might want to play with the distances from the wall to the panel and how far in the rope light is from the edge - varying those will give different wall wash effects.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have to keep the gap down to 2" and mount the rope lighting closer to the center to avoid being able to see it from the seating positions. Unless I just run it behind a frosted piece for a much more finished look.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There's an HT store about 15 miles from where I live that has this type of lighting. I liked it so well that I want to try it out also. I'll try and get pictures the next time I'm there.

Here's a copy of what I wrote about it in my own thread called "CatBrat HT Build".

"One more thing that I really liked about the HT room in the store I went to was the wall lights. They said that they used to use sconces like I was wanting, but they replaced them with something better. They built their own sound dampeners on the wall that were about 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall. They were framed like a picture. They stood out about 2 inches from the wall. They had some smaller framing on the wall side, where you couldn't see it that was about 5 inches smaller all around. then 2 rows of LCD rope light was wound around that inner area. This was attached to a dimmer switch."

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at 1000bulbs for the rope lights. I want 120 volt dimmeable so most likely I'll use good old cheap icandescents. It's also much cheaper than using sconces. I can do these for about $10 each including the end caps, powercords and mounting hardwear.

I really like the idea of building a seperate frame around the rope lights to help hide them. I was hoping ten of these would be bright enough to light the room when needed but with the frame that probably wouldn't happen.

I was thinking the superbright 5/8" incandescent model would work very well. Just have to decide on the clear vs. pearl vs. blue colored ropes.

I'll have 4 - 2'x4'x6" corner bass traps that I may light up as well..

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
Just another FYI the clear plastic rope light channels that are sold in 3-4 ft lengths really help hold the rope in a nice straight line with the bulbs pointed in the proper direction. This results in a nice even light pattern. In my experince with under bar top lighting this was pretty important with LED ropes maybe not as much with the incandescent.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have been planning to do this for about 6 months now. I am using RGB LED strips behind white fabric frames. I will continue to document in my build thread.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npc2396

I like your idea, very creative thinking.

I have both overhead lights (2 zones) and sconces, rarely use the sconces because they look like Rudolph on a cold winter night when you turn them on.

(I'm exaggerating here, the sconces are on a dimmer, still rarely used except when cleaning @ "full power")

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to have 3 or so recessed lights for general lighting but I'm thinking I may be able to skip those and not have to deal with back boxes etc.

My room is 7'2" tall by 20' wide by 17' deep and I'll have 3 of these lighted panels on each side wall and the back wall for a total of 9. I'll have a black screen wall on the front with 4 corner bass traps that will be back lit as well. I'm thinking of using pearl white for the panels and blue for the corner base traps.

Do you think I'll have enough light to forgo using recessed lights all together. I can bring in a lamp to clean but I'm thinking that 9 of these lights would be pretty bright on full power to allow for getting in and out of the theater. It's a pure dedicated theater so movies only. I'll have a play room next door with a 65" DLP for gaming and etc.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
RGB LED lights were mentioned earlier. I met with some guys that make and sell LED light a week or so ago and saw some of those RGB lights. These lights that they had could be controlled by a remote control. They will change colors to almost any color you want, plus you can dim them and brighten the lights too. To do that with rope lights... you would need about 20 different ropes (OK, I didn't figure out the exact number.... but I'm just sayin'). I would definitely look into the RGB LED lights that will do all of that. They will cost a little more, but they will do so much more for you. I was in awe at what they could do.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a info in my thread. Video and link for a source for 30M length for $90 with controller, remote and power supply.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Big, those RGBs have separate LEDs so you will not get the same effect as true RGBs. Those will show the individual colors of the LEDs unless you can diffuse them very well with indirect lighting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In my situation with 13 seperately lit panels the cost could really add up. Do you happen to know if an extension kit is available so I could use one remote and one controller and then run extensions to each location in series? I could use a combination of Y connectors and extensions. Anyone know the capacity of the controller?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have seen some of these at Home Depot and Lowes in the Christmas light section. You might want to watch for end of season sales, although finding 13 of them might involve a lot of running around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.