AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good Idea? I am conducting an experiment right now by recording Alias on my new Mits D-VHS using DSTream. It seems to be working. What should I expect? Can this be done reliably? Does anyone record all of their stuff on S-VHS tape?

--Rick

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Just use a good brand. I use Fuji 120's and not had an issue. Wont use Maxell anymore. I have just decided for all the money and time, I am trying to use dvhs now. Pretty dumb but what the heck.

dave

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
According to Widescreen Review magazine (issue #59, 04/2002, page 48) DVHS tapes *are* SVHS tapes with extra holes for convienience of cassette discrimination by DVHS recorders.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
ricka-

I think it depends on the machine. I have had 100% success with the Fuji SVHS consumer grade tape on both Mits and Panasonic, however I get sporadic failures with Maxell SVHS tape on the Panasonic but 100% with the Mits. When I have a tape that fails on the Panasonic for record, ie lots of dropouts, I can usually use it in the Mits and it works fine, then also plays fine in the Panasonic. The only way to know for sure is to test your own system. There seems to be way to much inconsistency with different DVHS recorders to state a standard that is reliable but if I had to bet, Fuji seems to be a safe way to start as more people seem to have success with it than any other brand. The only time I use DVHS tape is for the 210 minute lengths when required and this is rare.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Drill the holes and test each one, they may work for a while and then start dropping out. I certainly saved alot of money using EHG's and other non svhs tapes for digital recordings.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RickT
Drill the holes and test each one, they may work for a while and then start dropping out. I certainly saved alot of money using EHG's and other non svhs tapes for digital recordings.
I thought all DVHS recorders would allow you to record on SVHS tapes without drilling. At least my JVC 30K does that.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RickT,

I tested using a Maxell S-VHS tape and I didn't have to drill a hole. The Mits VCR just worked. I did have to push the D-VHS button before it would allow me to record. The Panasonic D-VHS tapes are automatically recognized.

others,

I found the Panny 300 (150Min HS) minute tapes for $7.34 on Yahoo shops. 120 minute SVHS tapes are around $5.

Does 120minutes of S-VHS equal 120 minutes of HS mode D-VHS?

If so, then the price difference isn't all that great and I think I'll stick with the D-VHS tapes. If the 120 minute tapes are only 60 HS minutes (like 8mm tapes) then that's a different manner.

Thanks,

--Rick

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricka

Does 120minutes of S-VHS equal 120 minutes of HS mode D-VHS?
Yes. 120 minute JVC SVHS tapes are $3.72 @Tapewarehouse and that's what I'm using with great success.

Leszek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.