Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -

Can anyone with a Sammy DLP set fill me in on how you got the best image quality? I have heard that ATI has built in support for 1280x720 resolutions, so do you need Powerstrip? If so, how do you figure out the timings and all those variables? Finally, do you have to boot up the machine and manually select the reolution every time, or does Powerstrip start with windows and make it easy (do you have to pay $30 to register for this)? Is there any way to adjust overscan, or are you stuck with the OOTB performance? Using PC mode, or other? Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first RPTV, first HTPC, etc...

Thanks so much for any advice!

RDaneel

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm using a

800 Mhz, ATI AIW 7500. Generic DVD player, No Powerstrip (although I have it on another machine).

DVD movies look awesome. No tricks. Just set the resolution and go.

I may trade the 800 out for another one of my machines, but right now it seems to handle everything fine.

As far as "best" image is concerned, I don't know if I have that or not. If someone knows how to tweak it better on the PC side, I'd be glad to hear. I do have slight over-scan, but haven't taken the time to fix it.

I'm the guy who's thinking about returning the set... :(

B.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm kinda asking the same thing over in the htpc forum for my sammy 507w. I'm current running 1280x720 w/o powerstrip. There is a bit of overscan in the tv(wide) mode and that's what I'm trying to fix. The output is crisp and clear, and I've enjoyed using a 50" monitor.

E4B

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil4blue
I'm kinda asking the same thing over in the htpc forum for my sammy 507w. I'm current running 1280x720 w/o powerstrip. There is a bit of overscan in the tv(wide) mode and that's what I'm trying to fix. The output is crisp and clear, and I've enjoyed using a 50" monitor.

E4B
E4B,

My understanding is that there is NO WAY to fix the overscan issue with these televisions. It is not your video source causing this, it is the tv itself.

Refer to post #2 for a picture of the overscan from my DVD player on the HLN617W and post #15 for Frank's thoughts on overscan and geometry here

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have in fact come real close to reducing the overscan to nothing (Using powerstrip and some custom timing tweaks), but eventually the resolution becomes a non-native res and the transcoder kicks in, which automatically change my aspect to pc(wide). I got frustrated with it, and stopped using powerstrip after that. I just bugs me that I can't get it just right. Have you ever used the custom monitor driver utility from Powerstrip. I've heard some success stories, but none with our beloved samsung models. I may play a little tonight.

E4B

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil4blue
Thanks for the info. I have in fact come real close to reducing the overscan to nothing (Using powerstrip and some custom timing tweaks), but eventually the resolution becomes a non-native res and the transcoder kicks in, which automatically change my aspect to pc(wide). I got frustrated with it, and stopped using powerstrip after that. I just bugs me that I can't get it just right. Have you ever used the custom monitor driver utility from Powerstrip. I've heard some success stories, but none with our beloved samsung models. I may play a little tonight.

E4B
Nope, thus far the only PC I have hooked up to this beast is my old Sony VAIO laptop with it's HORRIBLE integrated video card. I was unable to get a decent resolution for DVD playback so had to use a letterboxed 800x600 frame. Ewwww. Couple that with less than stellar video quality from the DVD drive via the VGA output and you get.... well... nothing that you would want to watch for an extended period of time.

I'm intrigued that you were able to do anything with overscan based on other comments I have read about it being inherent in the tv.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well, actually, I'm not really changing the overscan, but sending the desktop at a res of, let's say 1260x700, and maintaining the actual res at 1280x720. You lose the 1:1 pixel ratio, but not by that much, and from 10 feet away, it still looks pretty clean. Play with the front and back porches in the advances timings mode of powerstrip. My problem is I can on go so far, before my tv goes crazy. I was hoping someone found the secret sauce to this spicy problem. Great, now I'm hungry. Off to lunch, later.

E4B

·
Registered
353 Posts
The overscan is in the optical engine- but if you are using the VGA input, you can create a custom windows resolution that is smaller than 1280x720. Really what you do is put black into the overscan area. I don't know if anyone has succeeded in changing the DVI output resolution in the same way.

E4B- what did you get to? I managed to get to 1256x712 before I started hitting the bucket problems. I haven't played with it for a bit- waiting until I finish my VGA splitter.

Markd

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ummm...I don't remember what res I got to, I just got my HTPC back up and running after making a few modifications like new case and quieter fans and power supply, alos one of those nice nforce2 mb :). I'm also busy converting all my cd's to mp3 for full jukebox functionality, not to mention getting rid of all thos cd cases in an already cluttered livingroom. I'm gonna give it a whirl tonight, I'll see what I can get to. Maybe I'll have some news tomorrow.

Oh yeah, has anyone noticed if any of the smart tweaks do anything for the PC input. Just wondering.

E4B

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRaven007
So if I read this thread correctly, there is no Power Strip custom resolution that will completely remove over scan?
The last post before yours was May 07. There has been a lot of work in other threads since then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
with the Samsung can you do side by side hdtv cable with dvi input and

vga/pc .... thanks for the info.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you pull off the back of the set, side the digital board out of the way, unscrew the light engine, and back it out about a 1/2", presto the over-scan is gone. Oh and while your in there you can fine tune the focus on the DLP chip which is spring loaded on an axes. my pixel where a little fuzzy in the left corner, not any more, so sharp all the way around they could cut ya.

Jim

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh but 1 more thing, when you screw it all back together, the engine has to go back in the 1/2" and the over-scan is back, but i'm still razor sharp.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
jimbo38,

So, can you re-assemble the TV after you back out the

light engine 1/2" or do you need to use it like this

with the covers off??

Any other ways to get rid off the overscan???

Thanks!

Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.