Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm trying to decide what DLP to buy for my HTPC. I recently learned of the 1080p Samsung models (5667W and 5668W). However, I downloaded both full manuals and looked through them and they both support PC resolutions through the analog VGA cable, but both manuals also mention that the two HDMI connectors on the back of the set are "Not compatible with PC".

I'm guessing this means that Samsung disabled the running of PC resolutions such as 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480. Is this true? If it is then those bastards at Samsung might have lost a customer. My whole plan was to use one of these excellent DLPs with my HTPC over a DVI cable but then the stupid entertainment industry had to go and screw it all up with their copy right crap. :mad:

As far as I can tell, I'm pretty much screwed unless I buy an older Samsung like the ones circa 2004 which have a DVI port and can display PC resolutions over the DVI plug.

Thanks for your help... avsforum rocks!

-Greg

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Yeah this whole HDCP for Windows Vista certainly doesn't help the TV buying process. As far as HTPC goes, using VGA as the only means of achieving native 1080p will ensure you a 150 lb. paperweight in the near future.

If you absolutely MUST buy now, you would be safer to buy a 720p DLP that has native PC 1280x720 via DVI.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The HDMI "not compatible with PC" statement mena that HDMI will not accept all of the resolutions that are normally available for PCs. It will only accept 480p,720p and 1080i and maybe 480i. As long as you use one of those from your PC it work fine since the TV has not idea of where the siganl is coming from. I have had no problem from PC to my HLP sammy using DVI and my manual says the same thing. I would mluch prefer a 1080p unit to a 720p unit since the downscaling of the 1080i to 720p is not that good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
The HDMI "not compatible with PC" statement mena that HDMI will not accept all of the resolutions that are normally available for PCs. It will only accept 480p,720p and 1080i and maybe 480i. As long as you use one of those from your PC it work fine since the TV has not idea of where the siganl is coming from. I have had no problem from PC to my HLP sammy using DVI and my manual says the same thing. I would mluch prefer a 1080p unit to a 720p unit since the downscaling of the 1080i to 720p is not that good.

This is all well and good for use with a windoze HTPC but my Linux box command line is in text mode and the best I can do with that, is use the VESA framebuffer but I don't think it supports any of the 16x9 resolutions. Am I wrong? I want to be able to use this DLP as a complete computer monitor as well as a TV.

Thanks for the help,

-Greg

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have experienced a few problems when using DVI from PC to HDMI on my Sammy 5674W. Windows seems to periodically "forget" that I have a 720p device at the other end and after rebooting it often drops the res to 640x480. When I go DVI to DVI I don't have this problem.

But you're running linux so all these stupid windows problems don't apply. What's wrong with using the VGA input? I have found it to be even more tolerant of non-TV resolutions than the DVI.

Eric

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeyGG
This is all well and good for use with a windoze HTPC but my Linux box command line is in text mode and the best I can do with that, is use the VESA framebuffer but I don't think it supports any of the 16x9 resolutions. Am I wrong? I want to be able to use this DLP as a complete computer monitor as well as a TV.

Thanks for the help,

-Greg
Most newer Nvidia cards will scale text modes to match the display connected to a DVI output. It uses the EDID data sent by the display to determine the native rez and outputs at that resolution. It still looks like 640x480 (or whatever) but is scaled by the card before output. When my computer is in the bios screen, my TV thinks the input is 720p.

Not sure about ATI or VESA modes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrothyDog
I have experienced a few problems when using DVI from PC to HDMI on my Sammy 5674W. Windows seems to periodically "forget" that I have a 720p device at the other end and after rebooting it often drops the res to 640x480. When I go DVI to DVI I don't have this problem.

But you're running linux so all these stupid windows problems don't apply. What's wrong with using the VGA input? I have found it to be even more tolerant of non-TV resolutions than the DVI.

Eric
I don't want to use the VGA input because I have my machine set up to source digital everything. I'm using a pcHDTV-3000 card as the HD tuner so it'll decode all the OTA stuff and I have MythTV picking it up and turning it into a DVR. I really want to use the straight digital connections here.

-Greg

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
That's sad. I don't have HDMI, and would like to avoid it if possible. I use DVI from my HTPC to my Samsung DLP monitor (720p), and it is beautiful.

DVI makes more sense to me, because monitors should only process images and audio components should handle the sound. Does anyone actually use the speakers in their televisions anymore?

Combining the audio and video signals in HDMI is a step in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK
That's sad. I don't have HDMI, and would like to avoid it if possible. I use DVI from my HTPC to my Samsung DLP monitor (720p), and it is beautiful.

DVI makes more sense to me, because monitors should only process images and audio components should handle the sound. Does anyone actually use the speakers in their televisions anymore?

Combining the audio and video signals in HDMI is a step in the wrong direction.
I agree, it is sad. And I am upset with it because when I started building my HTPC at the beginning of the year, I purchased a DVI-DVI cable... I can't even use it now because Samsung stopped producing DLPs with DVI output!

-Greg

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
While only 720p I'm happy with my Samsung HLP5663W. It's got all the needed inputs VGA, DVI, HDMI. I use DVI, never tried VGA. HDMI didn't work very well at all when I used a monster DVI to HDMI cable. DVI works great though. I still have tweaking to do but I'm very happy with my system so far. I'm in the process of swapping cases and doing a clean install as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER
While only 720p I'm happy with my Samsung HLP5663W. It's got all the needed inputs VGA, DVI, HDMI. I use DVI, never tried VGA. HDMI didn't work very well at all when I used a monster DVI to HDMI cable. DVI works great though. I still have tweaking to do but I'm very happy with my system so far. I'm in the process of swapping cases and doing a clean install as well.
Do you have any overscan on your 5663W? I bought a 5667W and the overscan on the HDMI port is horrible... it's like 1" on all sides. Which is fine for watching TV and movies but when I try to use my DVR or play a computer game, it's plainly obvious. I ended up using the VGA port.

As you may have noticed the VGA input has a PC mode that allows you to adjust it to fit perfectly... the HDMI is what-you-see-is-what-you-get. This was a severe disappointment.

-Greg

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If you want 1:1 pixel mapping, then you WILL get overscan unless your video card can compensate and tweak the resolution to a bit smaller than 1280x720.

Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice 1:1 pixel mapping and a digital connection just to reduce the overscan.

Ozy

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer
The video portion of HDMI is pin-for-pin identical to DVI-D. It's just a cable. I think there's a lot of FUD in this thread.
Steve,

I would not call it FUD as it is more like consumer confusion.

It is true that the data lines for video are the same for DVI and HDMI, BUT there are other data lines that make the DVI interface different from HDMI.

DVI is a computer interface that most comply with the VESA Plug & Display Standards and as such most fully support EDID and DDC lines between the source and display.

HDMI is a consumer CE interface and does not have to comply with Plug & Play standards. The displays I’ve seen (tested) do not support the DDC line and causes the computer to default to the lowest (safe) resolution when booted. The only work around is to install a monitor profile that indicates at least one of the standard HDTV resolutions.

Because the consumer HDMI interface is designed for CE products it generally supports only normal resolutions that can be output from other CE products such as 490i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. A CE product does not “check†to see if the output resolution is supported like a computer does.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
SpikeyGG: One thing I would look out for as well is that I've read that the 1080P tv's dont support 1080P inputs, weird eh?

I would check out the RPTV threads to find out more about that issue.

you said you have a DVI to DVI cable, simple solution for that, get a DVI to HDMI adapter for the end of the cable, can be had for as little as $10.

Cliff Wattson is right about the two cables and its really a hit or miss when it comes to the HDMI cable not going back to a default rez on bootup, I've had great luck with my Sony GW IV tv and Nvidia cards no reverting back to default rez over HDMI inputs.

As far as the warnings in the TV manuals, all TV manufactures put those in there becuase they do not want to have to support end users connecting their PCs to the TV's, that however does not by any means say it wont work, it will, just look at the majority of the users here and you know it will work.

Also in terms of linux for the video all you have to do is go into X-Windows and add a custom wide screen rez, with the corect timings and refresh rates and it should work, linux is actually easier to setup a custom video rez then windows is.

If anything buy the tv, if it doesnt work out for you then return the TV and get something that will work for you.

- Josh

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
They don't support 1080p over DVI or HDMI. I had thought they supported 1080p over VGA, but the place to get the real low-down is in the rear projection forum.

Ozy

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
PC over VGA to my HL-R5668 looks good to me. I really doubt that HDMI would look any better. I don' have lipsink problems either. I am using a super cheap Belken Monitor cable.

My only problem so far is that the color level (tint?) is a little too high, but my ATI 9600 doesn't seem to have any adjustment for that.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
YOu really need to get a good VGA card (good circutry like an ATI 700-800 or GF6600 or better). The VGA I have seen on the 1080p 61" sammy is INCREDIBLE> Photoshop with SMALL FONTS is readable 8 feet back.

Analog is analog - but good analog is still great

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Come on guys...I need to retain some illusions about how superior DVI is to the analog connection...I just can't afford to upgrade to 1080p at this time. :)

Ozy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.