AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone relate their experiences using a serial cable to control their digital cable box from their Replay Series 5000? I have Comcast cable, and they gave me a Scientific Atlanta 2200 set-top box, which sadly lacks a serial port. I've considered using the IR-Blaster, but it seems to be such a... kludge.

I'm hoping I can pester Comcast into giving me a different set-top box that has a serial cable, but before I do so, I want to hear about how well (or poorly) it works. Also, does anyone know if SA even makes a set-top box with a serial port?

Thanks in advance!

[redacted]

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Don't bother yourself, the RTV will not control ANY cable boxes via the serial port.

Why you ask. Every model has their own protocol and most are like people, they want to control other things but don't want to be controlled themselves :)

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [redacted]
Seriously?! :confused: The manual suggests that it will work, at least with some models.
Seriously, It's the IR-Blaster or nothing. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, that sucks. Well, I only got Digital Cable because when I moved to my new place it was on promotion for less than the cost of my old analog service. Maybe now that the promotion is over I'll go back. I was only really using it for HBO anyway.

Thanks for the advice, tho.

[redacted]

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [redacted]
Man, that sucks.
Yep, having the ability to turn on serial output for a cable service would solve a lot of issues. I can understand not having ALL of the boxes setup, but not being able to select those that are, and adding to those is short sighted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.