AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some friends that have a Mit vs50111 TV. This set is a 4.3 screen but it is "HD 1080 ready" (if you have a feed like a settop box feeding HD).

They currently have CableVision Digital. However, from what I have seen, eventhough they have an HD capable TV, they (via CableVision) are not going to get HD content unless they go OTA or Satellite (and get a HD STBox). But that is another story.

Their immediate problem is the sound. They hate the sound coming out of the Mit speakers (and I agree).. The do not want big speakers as they have a room (that has a high roof and lot of echo). They have the Mit in a wall unit and do not want big speakers (L, R C and S). I told them about possibly using small satellite type) and R and Center speakers to help their sound problem.

I originally thought of the Bose Sat's but after going to www.avsforum.com, I saw some comments about The Gallo Sat type speakers.

Their budget is small ($400 or so) so the speakers can not be top of the line obviously. I was wonder what you all thought about putting the small sat speakers in the upper portion of the wall unit (hidden with little flowers and nick nacks) so that they can get better sound and not have big speakers in the room.

Also, what do you all think about eliminating some of the echo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Take a look at the RBH MM4 speakers ( http://www.rbhsound.com/mm4.shtml ). They are the size of the Bose but have much better sound. They come in both white and black, can be wall mounted, stand mounted or book shelf mounted. They also fit your budget criteria. There is a center channel, C-4 and a sub, the MS-8 so if they were inclined you could give them a surround system, including powered sub for under 1k.

If you are going to install book shelf speakers in a cabinet put some kind of damping material, such as insulation and or carpeting inside as well. I am not as happy about putting the knick- knacks around the speaker but you do what is necessary to install better speakers.

Alan

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does that $400 include any kind of a receiver or are they buying one seperately? If they only have a budget of $400, a HTIAB is probably the only way to go, as speakers, a reciever, and wire are going to go far above that unless you buy all used entry level equipment.

You might look into the Acoustic Research HC6 speaker set if you can find it, it's been known to go for $2-300 online, and outperforms most setups under $1000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.