AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Are there any sound bars that have the option of putting out audio while your TV is off?
I'm not sure what your'e asking. Virtually all of them will play other devices such a CD players with the TV turned off. Some will play music streamed from bluetooth devices. Samsung makes one that is Wifi enabled and will play Pandora etc and also has a USB media player. I believe iLive makes one that has a built in radio.

·
UHD Addict
38,977 Posts
I know my Sony soundbars work just like my stand alone receivers. Devices are connected by HDMI and I will get audio whether the TV is on or off.

·
UHD Addict
38,977 Posts
yeah that's pretty much what I'm wondering. so like a receiver there are HDMI in inputs on the sound bar and then an out to the TV?
Yes. That is how my two Sony Soundbars do it.

·
UHD Addict
38,977 Posts
Depends on the soundbar. Some soundbars do not have HDMI inputs.
Amazingly many don't. I was surprised because Sony has had HDMI inputs on their sound bars for over five years now. And for a long time, many costing three or four times as much still didn't have HDMI. But I think now there are more and more of them being released with HDMI.
But then many still can't decode the Advanced Audio Codecs like most of the SOny Ones do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an LG NB3740. It has very convenient Android app to use with smartphone.
With this soundbar I can play music from an USB-drive or from NAS (using DLNA) without even turning the TV on.I can also sream music from the smartphone via BT.

Also I can stream internet radio stations with pre-installed vTuner app but first I have to turn the TV on to chose the station (unfortunately this can not be done via smartphone). But then I can also switch the TV off.
LG NB3740 is one of the most feature rich soundbars in its price range AFAIK. Better in this sence are only LG Music Flow system soundbars but they start at twice as expensive at least.
And I like the sound of the 3740 as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts