AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the synergy line from Klipsch with a Yamaha Rx-v730. Ever since I moved into my new place my center channel just doesn't sound right. It's not as much as it is muffled as that it's just not clear. At my old location it sounded so clear, but not here. This place is smaller. It sounds as if there's bass and possibly not enough treble coming out of the center channel. I tried using a different optical cable, a different speaker cable and nothing. I evne went to BB and picked up another C-2 and used it to see if the center had been damaged during the move, but it sounded the same. The receiver is a simple receiver which has no crossover setting although all the speakers are set to small. My sub is a JBL POwerbass PB 12 which has a high level in and out for the front mains. The mains sound fine. Can I run the center through it and set the crossover point on it, to see if that may clear it up? Since it's for the mains I don't want to damage the center. Hope this isn't a novice question, or a stupid question, but this is just driving me nuts right now. I want to upgrade my receiver but right now is not the best time for that. Eventually I want to step up to a better receiver.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Have you calibrated your system since your move? BTW your receiver does have a x-over setting at 90hz (make sure the subs LFE switch is set to by-pass). Connecting your center channel to your sub would not work as it is just front L & R's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeha the system is calibrated. I bought the Avia disk shortly after moving in here, and still nothing. It is frustrating. How much can the room effect it because this room is considerably smaller than at my previous home. I am stuck here til the end of the year.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssoto0055 /forum/post/15597076

Yeha the system is calibrated. I bought the Avia disk shortly after moving in here, and still nothing. It is frustrating. How much can the room effect it

Speaker placement, room acoustics, and listener placement can have a much bigger effect than the speakers you bought and all your electronics.

A receiver with Audyssey would be the simplest work around which is SAF friendly.

Making sure you're a healthy distance from the rear wall (> 4'), the screen channels are the greater of 4' and half the distance to you off the front wall, etc. are all fine ideas as well as no coffee tables and a room that's not to reflective (with nice things like furniture, drapes, area rugs, and book shelves with books doing a lot for you if yoou're not in a treated room). If nothing else it will give you an idea of how your speakers can sound.

The problems you're trying to work around are the speaker and listener placement causing an unnatural boost at some frequencies, and the reverberant field being too much stronger than the direct sound so you loose clarity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts