Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I have had my TN50X81 for almost 2 years now and have been very pleased with it. I watch 90% 4:3 TV through my ReplayTV and the picture is great. I do have some big concerns with DVD display given the lack of "squeeze" on the picture (lots of jaggies, etc.), but I have seen some good tweaks to try. I do have a progressive scan DVD, but it seems no different than a regular one unless I port it out 480p... then it is distorted... anyway, you know all that and that really isn't my question (I tend to ramble...)

What I have tried in the past is to use the TV as my center speaker using the switch on the back. This works great audio wise, but when there is something loud coming through, I see quite a bit of noise in the video. It is not my tower speakers (which sit right next to the TV) since this does not happen when not using the TV as the center. I thought I had pretty good speaker cables, but maybe not (I'm using just a regular single component cable). It almost seems as if something is going on inside the set to cause this distortion. I'd really like to use this feature, but not as the expense of horrible video. Any suggestions out there? Should this type of post be in the audio board?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I would not recommend using the TV as a centre channel speaker anyway. The audio quality from the built-in speakers just isn't that good. You'd be better off setting your receiver for no center channel (or 'phantom' mode on a Pro-Logic only receiver).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

That is what I do now, but it honestly sounds a lot better (DVDs anyway) with the center channel. I'm not going to run out and plop down a few $100 on a new center channel speaker, but if I can get the set to work, that would be great. Any ideas on what is actually causing the problem?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.