AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have connected a VGA to Component Transcoder (Crescendo) between my HTPC and my receiver so I can use the receiver as a component video switch.

The VT440 will take VGA or component signal via a vga cable.

The problem I am having is it seems the project identifies the component signal coming out of the transcoder as vga when it is on auto signal identification and as such the picture comes out green.

If I set the input to component the project says no signal

I thinks the problem I have is that the resolution and frequency I am feeding the transcoder is causing the problem (800x600 75hz)

I live in Pal land and the projector has a native resolution of 800x600.

Could anyone suggest a passible fix for my problem?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rob,

I have just been reading the manual to your projector and the cause it not quite clear. My gut feeling is that the projector recognizes certain timings and resolutions as coming from a computer and therefor refuses to go to component mode, the transcoder by itself has no problem handling the timing you are feeding it. I cannot determine which transcoder you have, but if you are using the TCP2200 you could try setting the jumper in VAR mode, your projector may not do tri-level sync very well.

You could try using PowerStrip and feed the projector a PAL (maybe even PAL progressive) signal and see what it does.

Kim Beumer

Crescendo Systems

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kim,

I will give it a try on the weekend and let you know how I get on

(Oh I have one of your excellent TCP2200's)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rob,

I just thought of something. Your projector obviously accepts sync on green, so when the VAR setting doesn't work and you don't want to send it a non native resolution (native usually looks better), I have something else for you.

I can send you a converter that only puts the sync on green but keeps the signal as RGB. In that case the receiver only has three cables to handle and it doesn't know the difference anyway and you can keep the projector in auto or RGB mode. This should solve all of your problems. Consider this a freebee, on the house.

Kim Beumer

Crescendo Systems

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kim,

I'm not sure what to say........what an offer!

I would truly appreciate your generosity if you can supply me with the converter.

I am totally blown away with your offer.

I don't want to put you out of pocket though, I am happy to Paypal you with funds to finance to converter and the postage down under.

What is the best way to contact you?

As for the results of some more testing I have done, I did get a non green picture at a very low resolution but only at 60Hz, not good for PAL DVD. Apart from that the projector only showed a picture when it was set to VGA or Auto and it only came in many shades of green.

I still can't believe I found someone so generous and helpful!

Thanks again

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bob,

Just send me a PM with your shipping address, I somehow cannot find you in my database. It looks like your projector only has a number of predefined resolutions and timings as listed in the last pages of the manual. By low resolution you probably mean the 640x480 60Hz which is kinda like a progressive NTSC resolution, I also didn't see anything like a progressive PAL capability.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kim,

I have received your parcel today and to my surprise it is a whole new modified TCP2200 - when you said converter I thought you meant an adaptor of some type.

Your generosity is unbelievable.

I will be able to give it a try this weekend (I have a sick 4 year old and a mother with "Stuck all day with a sick 4 year old syndrome" at the moment so after work testing is a little dangerous).

I’m sure a solution to my problem will help quite a few others on the forum who would like to switch their HTPC output through their Receiver.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have the VT45 and was always under the impression there was a built in transcoder in the projector.

I'll bet it would work if you used two component breakout cables and skip the Crescendo.
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...les/SCVM3R.asp

I have switched my component DVD player and HTPC using a KVM switch, so the projector doesn't have a problem with a RGB or component signal going through the same cable. In my case it was a VGA cable out of the switch and into the projector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ian,

I agree the VT440 will accept either Component or VGA (auto switching between the two).

But I’m not sure using a breakout cable from the VGA out of the HTPC will give either VGA or Component.

I'm under the impression that in VGA the sync signal is sent in another wire separate to the red, green, blue signals and in component the sync signal is mixed in with one or more of the red, green, blue wires?

I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will correct me where I have strayed from the way it really works.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ian,

I agree with you that when you would directly connect the VGA signal from the computer to the projector it would work. Unfortunately, VGA is a RGBHV signal that requires 5 cables (three for the video and two for the sync) and correct me if I am wrong Rob, the original idea was to use a receiver as a switcher (receivers usually only do component, a 3 cable format). Therefore you need to convert RGBHV into RGsB, that is RGB with sync on green. Some video cards with the correct driver support may be capable to output that natively, others are not.

The cable you pointed to may or may not work, the description is lacking but I doubt that it actually puts the HV sync on the green signal. If it doesn't do that than the output from your source should already be in sync on green format in order for that cable to help.

In the end it is both lucky and unlucky that the projector reacts as it does. It seems to only recognize component encoder signals in certain resolutions, but on the other hand it appears that it handles both RGBHV and RGsB signals.

Kim Beumer

Crescendo Systems

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your correct Kim

I want to use my receiver to switch between my HTPC and other components such as a satellite set top box and a HDTV set top box to my projector.

The idea is to make my set-up as wife friendly as I can

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ian,

When the first cable you mentioned is built up exactly like shown in your last link than that cable will indeed not work. The sync signals are on pin 13 and 14 and they are not connected. This means that the source format should already be RGsB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kim,

You are a legend.

I have connected up the modified Crescendo Systems TCP2200 - sync on green transcoder and it worked perfectly.

I am now passing the native resolution of my projector 800x600 @ 75hz (PAL) with sync on green and my projector sees it as RGB.

The beauty of this is I can now use my receiver to switch between all my video sources and so winning me many points in the wife acceptance area.

I could not have done this without the unbelievably generous help of Kim Beumer (beun) at Cresendo Systems.

Thank you Kim

( http://www.crescendo-systems.com/transcoder.html )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh Kim,

I forgot to say tri-level sync gave me a blue picture so I currently have it on fixed width bi-level sync.

It will also work with variable bi-level sync

Would there be a prefered one between the fixed and variable in this application?

Thanks again

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rob,

The variable width sync is probably a bit wider than the fixed width sync, so that will give you a bit more margin on the projector operation. It is also obvious that the NEC doesn't know what to do with tri-level sync.

Kim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.