AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, Sony SS-MF550H speaker:

Non-working Mid Driver and Tweeter are completely busted, cannot be repaired, cannot be replaced with exact part.

Rather than throwing the whole thing away, I thought maybe I could find the cheapest Mid Driver and Tweeter I could and put them in there.

Specs for above pictured speaker:

• 3¼ " HOP Diaphragm Material Reinforced with Kevlar® Fiber - Mid Driver

• 1" Nano-Fine® Balanced Dome Tweeter

• 150W Maximum Input Power

One quick look on FleBay, I find this:
"Pulled from a working unit. Tweeter and Mid Range Drive Speakers only. Subwoofer or cabinet are not included."

Brand: Linear Phase

Form Factor: Floor-Standing Tower

Model: 8810

RMS Power: 125 Watts

They want $21.31 shipped.

What do I need to do to make sure this would work, is this the best option for investing twenty bucks to not throw the speaker away?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Unless you use exact replacement drivers, you will need to be good at crossover design.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry what does that mean? I was just going to connect a different set, I was thinking all I needed to do is just make sure certain specs are within range?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627  /t/1526454/using-unmatched-mid-driv...-with-still-working-bass-driver#post_24584215

I'm sorry what does that mean? I was just going to connect a different set, I was thinking all I needed to do is just make sure certain specs are within range?
It's considerably more complicated than that. Just looking at the pic you posted I can see that there is no actual crossover in that speaker, just series wired NPE capacitors. That doesn't mean anything to you, but it tells me that the speaker is, to be blunt, a cheap POS that's probably not worth fixing, not even for $20.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There are 4 or 5 characteristics that must be the same as the originals or they will work very badly.

It is almost impossible to get replacements that will have the right characteristics, so forget it.

Buy some better speakers.

Want some good speakers cheap?

The Dayton B652 speakers sell for $40 per pair and are amazingly good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts