AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody using the VGA (PC) input on your ED Panny connected to the RGB output on Sammy TS-160 STB? I would like to use it to feed my Panny with HDTV signal and use the video input on Panny for SDTV signal (using composite video output on TS-160) and use the component input for my DVD. A decent VGA/VGA cable is $100 or more, and I would like to be sure that this is going to work before I buy one. I am assuming that the PQ on VGA is very similar to PQ on component. The label on the Panny says "PC" and the manual clearly shows connecting only a computer.

Any help or comment will be greatly appreciated.

Andrzej

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use the 15 pin RGB/PC connection from my Zenith 520 to my 42" panny ED. It works great. You will not be able to adjust color or tint for this connection, but I've not seen that to be a problem.

Chucko

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm surprised that your picture is better on composite & S-video that component. If you haven't adjusted the settings on your Panny yet, you may want to do that. You will want to adjust the settings for each of the inputs. That's easy enough for composite, S-video & component. Just use a calibration DVD, using each of these connections. The first thing is to set the brightness on all of them, including the RGB/PC, down to something like -16 (if you do a search, you'll find a lot of information on this).

As to your original question, I find the PQ with the 15 pin RGB/PC connection to be as good as, if not better than component.

Chucko

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that it is actually not surprising that SDTV signal looks better on composite (or S-video) input than on component. I believe that's the case because the Panny's electronics is better than the STB's converter. There is no conversion by STB when SDTV signal (480i) goes through the composite output/input. And yes, I calibrated my Panny using the Avia DVD. Composite/S-video simply look much more natural and true. For now I am using component for HDTV channels and composite for SDTV. My plan is to use the VGA for HDTV, component for DVD and composite or S-video for SDTV.

Andrzej

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrzej
Is anybody using the VGA (PC) input on your ED Panny connected to the RGB output on Sammy TS-160 STB? I would like to use it to feed my Panny with HDTV signal and use the video input on Panny for SDTV signal (using composite video output on TS-160) and use the component input for my DVD. A decent VGA/VGA cable is $100 or more, and I would like to be sure that this is going to work before I buy one. I am assuming that the PQ on VGA is very similar to PQ on component. The label on the Panny says "PC" and the manual clearly shows connecting only a computer.

Any help or comment will be greatly appreciated.

Andrzej
I'm using it and it works great, HDNet looks just amazing and please dont fall into the trap of spending $100 for good VGA, as long as the cable can take a ferrite core or has one built in you should be good. Trust me i'll spend $50 bucks on radio shack fusion AV before i spend $100+ on something else and yes, i have done comparisons w/monster and silver serpent, it's just as good. Enjoy your viewing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,

I'm using a VGA cable from my RCA DTC100 to my SD Panny. Now, I'm not using the ferrite core that came with the Panny. How is it the Panny going to be affected if I'm not using it??

Thanks.

= J =

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by biggstuu
I'm using it and it works great, HDNet looks just amazing and please dont fall into the trap of spending $100 for good VGA, as long as the cable can take a ferrite core or has one built in you should be good. Trust me i'll spend $50 bucks on radio shack fusion AV before i spend $100+ on something else and yes, i have done comparisons w/monster and silver serpent, it's just as good. Enjoy your viewing.
Thanks for the advice biggstuu. What are these ferrite cores for?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
They filter RF/EMI "noise".

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am wondering if a regular computer monitor VGA cable (with ferrite cores at both ends) can be used to connect ED Panny to Sammy STB box? These cables are much less expensive that dedicated cables - ~ $10.

Andrzej

·
Registered
491 Posts
Andrzej - if your Panny (mine does) and the back of your Sammy STB both have 15pin Female VGA connectors, you can use any standard monitor cable...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I currently have a standard vga cord 6' male - male $17 from bestbuy

between my 5uz and zenith stb with ferrite core that came with my

panny.

Works great. Just watch my first episode of Smallville in HD widescreen,

I'm in love!!!

Rey

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ElRey, are you using the VGA/PC input on your Panny also for SD channels? I watch all SD satellite and OTA channels and VCR (through my AV system) using the composite input because the PQ is significantly better than on component. I think that the same will be true for VGA/PC. Am I right?

Andrzej

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm use the PC input for my OTA HDTV receiver (Zenith HDV420)

15pin -> 15pin (in RGB mode). Other than the OTA we only watch

DVD's on the Panny currently via component. So, yes, we use the

PC input for both SD and HD OTA veiwing. I believe the Zenith up-converts

everything to the output resolution you set it to. I have it set to 1080i.

I've tried lower resolutions out of the STB and perfer 1080i or 720p.

OTA SD looks good, not HDTV good, but way better than I expected.

Hope the Sammy does as good a job for you.

Rey

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
elRey,

I think that Panny's upconversion of SD signal (from 480i to 480p) is better than STB's upconversion (to whatever). At least it looks significantly better on my ED Panny. I also think that there is no real gain in PQ by upconverting relatively poor 480i source to 720p or 1080i. It will only magnify the weaknesses of poor 480i source. Try composite input on your Panny for SD source and you will see what I am saying (your Panny will upconvert 480i to 480p - as far as I understand it). The resolution setting on your STB does not make any difference for the composite output. For HD material I also use 1080i setting on my STB as this is very common resolution for HDTV (except for FOX) and the STB does not need to do any up- or downconversion. I believe that Panny's electronics is superior to any STB, so let your Panny do the work. Mine does it beautifully.

Andrzej

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only SD material we watch comes in OTA thru my STB (Zenith) which

is connected via 15-pin vga RGB. When my STB is set to 1080i or 720p output, I can't change the aspect ratio on either the STB or my panny.

This tells me that a 1080i or 720p signal is being sent to the panny

from the STB. This is happening during SD material also. The only time

I can change aspect ratio is when STB output is set to 480p.

480i causes signal to be sent thru S-video/composite only.

So, my choices are:

1080i via PC input w/o ability to change aspect

720p via PC input w/o ability to change aspect

480p via PC input WITH ability to change aspect w/ either STB or panny

480i via S-video/composite WITH ability to change aspect w/ either STB or panny

note: 1080i and 720p don't allow aspect change. No zooming or just mode. So, I'm stuck w/ bars on the sides of SD material. I dont mind that tho.

I've tried all , but didn't pay close attention to compare. I will tonight and report.

another note: Having the STB up-convert the signal means that it's being scaled up while still digital. W/ the panny scaling up, the signal goes thru a D-A conversion first, then gets scaled, then back to digital (or D-A, A-D, scaled, viewed) vs (scaled, D-A, A-D, veiwed). I believe. Just a thought.

This is fun :p

Rey

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrzej
elRey,

I think that Panny's upconversion of SD signal (from 480i to 480p) is better than STB's upconversion (to whatever). At least it looks significantly better on my ED Panny. I also think that there is no real gain in PQ by upconverting relatively poor 480i source to 720p or 1080i. It will only magnify the weaknesses of poor 480i source. Try composite input on your Panny for SD source and you will see what I am saying (your Panny will upconvert 480i to 480p - as far as I understand it). The resolution setting on your STB does not make any difference for the composite output. For HD material I also use 1080i setting on my STB as this is very common resolution for HDTV (except for FOX) and the STB does not need to do any up- or downconversion. I believe that Panny's electronics is superior to any STB, so let your Panny do the work. Mine does it beautifully.

Andrzej
My Zenith 520 is connected by the 15 pin RGB/PC connector and set to feed 1080i to the Panny. Although it may differ by STB, 1080i produces the best PQ for me, and I've tried them all. Composite & S-video feeds to my Panny from the STB are definitlely inferior to the RGB/PC connection for SD and HD material, no matter what the output signal is set to.

I would have thought that feeding a 480p signal to the Panny would have been the best, but that's simply not the case. BTW, I have calibrated all of the inputs.

Chucko

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.