AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like I read the volts could be used as in walls. I was thinking of trying this out in my new theater room by mounting the supplied baffles to the ceiling with no enclosure. My ceilings are already High at 10.5 for the front row and 9 feet for the back but this would maintain that height. It would also have all the advantages of a baffle wall with increased imaging and sound stage, and they would be practically invisible. Of course the bottom end would suffer but bumping the crossover up to 100-120hz should take care of that.

Has anyone else tried this or thought about it?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The Volt-10's work the best like this reaching down to 80hz easy. @beastaudio has some of the Beta-10CX's mounted in his drop celling, I do believe they worked well there and audyseey even set them at 60hz.

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
Fantastic, thanks guys. That being the case I see no reason for anyone to install them in a box when using these for Atmos.
My side wall surrounds I built a box into the wall, but that was mainly because i only had 4 inches to work with and needed some extra depth. Those boxes ended up at around 1 cuft, and once I toss a port in there (if I do), they should also be good down to 60hz or so. I still cross around 100hz, but I like to have that added extension regardless :)

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
beast, do you have a pic of how you have the speakers installing in the ceiling?

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
beast, do you have a pic of how you have the speakers installing in the ceiling?
I do, but not on me at the moment. They are not fully completed yet but simply enough, with 2x2 drop ceiling tiles in place, I simply cut out a 3/4" ply panel to the same dimensions, and popped the woofer in there and replaced the standard ceiling panel with it. When I get the new acoustic ceiling panels (pro-build faced insulation panels) I will route a hole in there and face the 3/4" ply with it to make it match the rest of the ceiling grid and bring the driver to flush. Right now I did not recess the woofer at all....

There is enough weight already with all the additional pink fluffy i put up in between the drop ceiling and the floor joists that it is heavy enough to not rattle the ceiling grid, is sufficiently damped, and likely wouldn't matter much anyways with a 100hz or even 80hz cross.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
any updates wrt How has this worked out?
front baffle, no box , tight ceiling for dispersion sounds like what i'd like to do to replace my SLX TF and TR

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should be done with the house in 6-8 weeks...at least I sure hope so. I'm trying like **** to have the theater done at the same time, then I'll add an update to how well the IB ceiling setup works.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sure have.. it's all addressed on the diysound group coaxial thread. It has to be crossed no lower than 80hz to avoid overexcussion, a little higher if you need more than 100-150 watts. I'll need 60 watts at most even at reference levels.

As for bass response the high crossover should make it mostly a non issue, however room correction will help any remaining issues. I also have 4 Si18s (one in each corner) so I can bump the crossover up to 100hz if I need to on the IBs and not have to worry about localization on the subs.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I'd update with a copy and paste from my build thread. They work excellent IB/inwall and boxed.

Spent a few hours slapping the Atmos in. 4 volt 10lx ceiling speakers!

Here's the attic above the theater. It's a little taller than it looks, about 5 feet at the peak..at least I don't have to crawl.

While I was up there I cut the holes. I made a template out of cardboard to make life simple.

Here's one of 4 ceiling baffles I made. Each one has 4 screws that will screw into either 1x4 stripping already up there or blocks that I will put up there. This ones pre-drilled and ready to hang.

Boom...there it is!

Right before I installed the drivers I tossed up a few wire nuts and a crossover so they'd be where I needed them when it's time to wire it up.

And here it is all wired up. Yes I clean off the sheetrock dust, I should have taken the pic after I did.

And just a little insurance, I placed a square of r13 over each to handle any resonance .

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
Just thought I'd update with a copy and paste from my build thread. They work excellent IB/inwall and boxed.

Spent a few hours slapping the Atmos in. 4 volt 10lx ceiling speakers!

Here's the attic above the theater. It's a little taller than it looks, about 5 feet at the peak..at least I don't have to crawl.

While I was up there I cut the holes. I made a template out of cardboard to make life simple.

Here's one of 4 ceiling baffles I made. Each one has 4 screws that will screw into either 1x4 stripping already up there or blocks that I will put up there. This ones pre-drilled and ready to hang.

Boom...there it is!

Right before I installed the drivers I tossed up a few wire nuts and a crossover so they'd be where I needed them when it's time to wire it up.

And here it is all wired up. Yes I clean off the sheetrock dust, I should have taken the pic after I did.

And just a little insurance, I placed a square of r13 over each to handle any resonance .

Looking nice :) @tvuong, this is kind of what I was trying to describe to you last night about how you could mount in between ceiling joists through sheetrock. Perfect example!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts