AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im not very good with wireless, I never liked wireless connections, always liked wired connection better.

Anyway I purchased a nevo SL remote, which can play songs off my pc from the remote.

It uses wifi, and it can only use 128 bit wep encryption.

Im just curious what risks should I be looking at here. The only thing connecting to it through wep is my remote. Since all my computers dont run wireless in the house, is this as big of issue as im making it out to be, any input would be great.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdahlberg /forum/post/17019514

I wouldn't worry about it.

Seconded. You are more than fine...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Is the remote connecting to a wireless router, or to a wifi dongle on a particular system?

If it's going through a router then your entire home network is theoretically hackable. WEP hacking isn't exactly easy, but someone who knows what they're doing can get your key in less than half an hour. It's not likely anybody would bother doing this, but it's not impossible either.

If the remote is connecting to a wifi dongle on one PC, then you're fine as long as you don't bridge the wifi and wired network connections (there's no reason you should).

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/17020005

Is the remote connecting to a wireless router, or to a wifi dongle on a particular system?

If it's going through a router then your entire home network is theoretically hackable. WEP hacking isn't exactly easy, but someone who knows what they're doing can get your key in less than half an hour. It's not likely anybody would bother doing this, but it's not impossible either.

If the remote is connecting to a wifi dongle on one PC, then you're fine as long as you don't bridge the wifi and wired network connections (there's no reason you should).

I've cracked WEP keys in less than 10min(think it was less than 3min). It's trivial, but considering it does take effort, the likelihood of someone bothering to try and get into your network is slim. If they were targeting you specifically then that's a different story.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/17020607

isn't every current wireless encryption hackable atm?

AFAIK, the attacks on WPA and WPA2 are dictionary attacks, so the use of a lengthy random preshared key with mixed capitals and numbers and special characters would render a dictionary attack pretty useless. The attacks on WEP are attacks on the security protocol itself which is why it's so fast compared to using a dictionary of common words and trying them all. If you use your pet or wife's name as the WPA/WPA2 preshared key, then yeah your network could potentially be hacked. But again, it boils down to why would someone bother to hack into your network.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts