AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to avoid unsightly wires running along my apartment and putting the wires in the wall really isn't an option.

Are there devices that can be connectable to ordinary speakers, say Polk Audio speakers, to communicate with the receiver? If so any recommendations? (Also I understand that they probably can't be true wireless since they need a power source and may need to be connected to a power outlet, but thats still better than connecting it to the receiver)

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
please consider this....by the time you wire up the speakers to a power source, you probably could have run 16 gauge wire along or under the baseboard to use actual "wired" surrounds.

An option I used for a friend's apartment was to run the wires under the toe moulding to a point near where the rear speakers would be. I installed a 1/4" phone plug recepticle (female) at the end of each set of wires. The rear surrounds were fairly small and we mounted them on metal stands with the connection wires terminated with a typical 1/4" phone plug (male). When not in use, the speakers stand in a corner, out of the way and mostly out of sight. When needed, they are placed in the proper locations and pluged into the wiring running back to the receiver with the extra attached wiring on the surround speakers. It has worked great so far.

Almost any "wireless" speaker system is going to be a poor compromise at best, and a noisy, weak performing system if it works at all. There is so much RF generated by our modern "stuff", interference is almost an assured situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts