AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would be okay to use my Denons Zone2/Bi-amp speaker output for my sub? instead of having the speaker cables go to the sub then to the speakers, just put the speakers on fullband and run some cable to the sub, and just have it assist in 60hz and lower? Right now I have my mains biamped, but I wanted to try this out but wasn't sure if it would work out well.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Does your AVR not have a line-level sub output, and your sub a line input? If so, why aren't you using them?

There are advantages to using the Sub Out and letting the AVR manage the bass.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22241078

Does your AVR not have a line-level sub output, and your sub a line input? If so, why aren't you using them?

There are advantages to using the Sub Out and letting the AVR manage the bass.

Sorry for the looooooooooong delay....

Unfortunately when I bought the receiver I didn't really know much of what I was doing. I was more worried about getting a quality receiver then one with the most functions. That and I focused on channels and wattage of them. I ended up with a Denon ARV-1611, which I love, but sadly it only has a LFE preout and thats it. And since I listen to more music then I watch movies, I use the speaker line input on the sub. Pretty big fail huh? I listen to mostly music, but didn't get a reciever with a RCA preout.....

http://www.dba-pr.com/Images/Denon/2010%20Line%20Show/Receivers/AVR-1611/AVR1611BK_E3_bk_000.jpg

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
So you set the speakers to "small," and the receiver's bass management will send all bass below the crossover frequency to the sub through the line output.

·
Registered
28,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22305429

Sorry for the looooooooooong delay....

Unfortunately when I bought the receiver I didn't really know much of what I was doing. I was more worried about getting a quality receiver then one with the most functions. That and I focused on channels and wattage of them. I ended up with a Denon ARV-1611, which I love, but sadly it only has a LFE preout and thats it. And since I listen to more music then I watch movies, I use the speaker line input on the sub. Pretty big fail huh? I listen to mostly music, but didn't get a reciever with a RCA preout.....
http://www.dba-pr.com/Images/Denon/2010%20Line%20Show/Receivers/AVR-1611/AVR1611BK_E3_bk_000.jpg

How is that a fail? The 1611 is perfect for your needs.

Connect your subwoofer to the LFE output on the 1611. run Audyssey and then set your speakers to small. The receiver will handle all the bass management.

I have a Denon AVR-591 which is the 5.1 version of your 1611. Music works perfect for me with a subwoofer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22308156

How is that a fail? The 1611 is perfect for your needs.

Connect your subwoofer to the LFE output on the 1611. run Audyssey and then set your speakers to small. The receiver will handle all the bass management.

I have a Denon AVR-591 which is the 5.1 version of your 1611. Music works perfect for me with a subwoofer.

You sure? I had the sub set up with the LFE and had to turn it up almost all the way to get the slightest bass out of it. Maybe I set it up wrong, but I've read LFE isn't good to use for music.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22240893

I was wondering if it would be okay to use my Denons Zone2/Bi-amp speaker output for my sub?
You would do that if your sub is not powered.
Quote:
Right now I have my mains biamped,
Unless you're bypassing the internal crossovers on the mains doing so is pretty much a waste of wire.
Quote:
I've read LFE isn't good to use for music.
Hogwash. I've seen that said too, but not by anyone who had a clue as to what they were talking about.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22929442

You sure? I had the sub set up with the LFE and had to turn it up almost all the way to get the slightest bass out of it. Maybe I set it up wrong, but I've read LFE isn't good to use for music.

Are you sure all your speakers are set to "small?" This is the setting that tells the AVR to send all bass below the crossover frequency to the sub, and not just the content of the LFE (.1) channel when present.

Audyssey will sometimes set speakers to "large" and you have to go back and manually override it.

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts

Quote:
... I had the sub set up with the LFE and had to turn it up almost all the way to get the slightest bass out of it. Maybe I set it up wrong ...
1. Do a sub crawl and find the best location in which to place your sub.

2. Turn the gain on your sub to "12:00".

3. Run the first cycle of Audyssey and check the sub level in your AVR's speaker-set up menu.

4. If the sub level is too low (relative to the speakers), lower the gain on the sub; if the sub level is too high (relative to the speakers), raise the gain on the sub.

5. Repeat #3 and #4 as required until the sub level is close to the level of the speakers.

6. Run the full set of Audyssey cycles.

7. Go into the speaker set-up menu and set all speakers to "small".

8. If necessary, adjust the crossover settings.

9. Tweak levels if required / as desired.

10. Enjoy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22929937

You would do that if your sub is not powered.

Unless you're bypassing the internal crossovers on the mains doing so is pretty much a waste of wire.

Hogwash. I've seen that said too, but not by anyone who had a clue as to what they were talking about.

"Unless you're bypassing the internal crossovers on the mains doing so is pretty much a waste of wire. " Since I dont understand this at all, ill assume I am not, but can you explain this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22929977

Are you sure all your speakers are set to "small?" This is the setting that tells the AVR to send all bass below the crossover frequency to the sub, and not just the content of the LFE (.1) channel when present.

Audyssey will sometimes set speakers to "large" and you have to go back and manually override it.

That may be where I went wrong, I ran audyssey but left the speakers large, since they are, and set the LFE crossover to 80hz. I'll have to retry this once I get my center channel. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst  /t/1421378/using-zone2-bi-amp-for-sub#post_22933571

"Unless you're bypassing the internal crossovers on the mains doing so is pretty much a waste of wire. " Since I dont understand this at all, ill assume I am not, but can you explain this?
Passive crossovers introduce distortion and alter response. The main reason for bi-amping is to eliminate the passive crossover and that distortion and response alteration. If you haven't bypassed/removed the passive crossover you're not getting the main benefit of bi-amping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts