AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
@ProjectionHead Would really love your subjective thoughts on this projector as compared to the Samsungs, Optoma and LG USTs. I am in Canada and have an opportunity to pick one of these up on sale so need to make a decision in the next couple of days. Would really appreciate any input you have at all, particularly compared to the other USTs from large brands.

Thanks,
BJ

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
494 Posts
@ProjectionHead Would really love your subjective thoughts on this projector as compared to the Samsungs, Optoma and LG USTs. I am in Canada and have an opportunity to pick one of these up on sale so need to make a decision in the next couple of days. Would really appreciate any input you have at all, particularly compared to the other USTs from large brands.

Thanks,
BJ
I haven’t had a whole lot of time to play with it yet beyond what you saw in the video; plan on getting more in depth with all of these over the rest of December as the holiday shopping rush starts to slow.

I can say that EVERYONE on the team who came in to watch that “store mode” demo video was super impressed.

Granted, that content was designed for that exact effect. We haven’t run anything else through it yet, but this combo produced a super bright,vibrant image in a very well lit room.

if you are cool with the limitation of only being able to do 100”, my first impression is that this is a “buy”.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@ProjectionHead Hi Brian, are you able to give any comments on the packaged Hisense screen please? Is it able to resolve 4K? How does it compare to the Grandview Dynamique? Just your subjective early thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Vendor
494 Posts
@ProjectionHead Hi Brian, are you able to give any comments on the packaged Hisense screen please? Is it able to resolve 4K? How does it compare to the Grandview Dynamique? Just your subjective early thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.
I haven't opened up the screen that came bundled with this projector, but have the screen from the previous 100L10E and Hisense says they are the same. It appears to be similar to the Dynamique in the sense that it has the "sharper" ridges compared to the more economical options and I was able to discern a square pixel grid from the 100l5f. I do intend on opening and setting up the bundled screen soon to confirm it truly is the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@ProjectionHead Hi Brian, sorry to keep peppering you with questions, hope it’s ok! I think I’ve discovered that the Hisense packaged screen is a white labeled Elite Starbright CLR screen. Do you have any insight into how the Elite compares to the Grandview? I notice you stock both brands so imagine you’ve compared the two. Thanks again.

·
Vendor
494 Posts
@ProjectionHead Hi Brian, sorry to keep peppering you with questions, hope it’s ok! I think I’ve discovered that the Hisense packaged screen is a white labeled Elite Starbright CLR screen. Do you have any insight into how the Elite compares to the Grandview? I notice you stock both brands so imagine you’ve compared the two. Thanks again.
I do not believe it is their CLR material based on direct visual comparisons. Where did you get that info? Perhaps their new screen is (hence the lower price point), but the one we currently have up from their dual laser 100L10E is certainly superior to the CLR.

Elite's Darkstar UST and Grandview Dynamique are pretty darn equitable; both have sharper image than the CLR/CLR2/CLR3.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do not believe it is their CLR material based on direct visual comparisons. Where did you get that info? Perhaps their new screen is (hence the lower price point), but the one we currently have up from their dual laser 100L10E is certainly superior to the CLR.

Elite's Darkstar UST and Grandview Dynamique are pretty darn equitable; both have sharper image than the CLR/CLR2/CLR3.
Just a theory based on an image showing "what's included in the box".

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
I haven't opened up the screen that came bundled with this projector, but have the screen from the previous 100L10E and Hisense says they are the same. It appears to be similar to the Dynamique in the sense that it has the "sharper" ridges compared to the more economical options and I was able to discern a square pixel grid from the 100l5f. I do intend on opening and setting up the bundled screen soon to confirm it truly is the same.
***I thought I saw this on sale, recently, for a grand less. It would be great to hear your opinion on how the 100L5F compares to the VAVA 4K and the Optoma P1, P2 and CinemaX as these are all in the same price range. Obviously, a fixed focus for a 100" screen will deter many prospect buyers who want a larger size (interesting translated article from German to English about opening up the unit!) And - lots of folks won't like the bundled screen with the unit but at the lower price - - it's quite a compelling offer.

·
Vendor
494 Posts
Just a theory based on an image showing "what's included in the box".

I will forward that to Hisense and see what they say. Nice sleuthing

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will forward that to Hisense and see what they say. Nice sleuthing
It looks like the 100L10E also came with the Starbright CLR based on their installation guide. Maybe there are slight variations to the Elite Screens version?

That being said, I did purchase the 100L5F and it looks incredible with the included screen. My family and I have been extremely happy with it, but this is also our first projector and our first 4K device of any kind in our house so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
It looks like the 100L10E also came with the Starbright CLR based on their installation guide. Maybe there are slight variations to the Elite Screens version?

That being said, I did purchase the 100L5F and it looks incredible with the included screen. My family and I have been extremely happy with it, but this is also our first projector and our first 4K device of any kind in our house so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.
***Glad you're enjoying the new PJ! A couple quick questions - - how far back from the end of the unit to the wall where the screen is? And, how high up is the bottom of the picture (vertical offset) from the PJ itself?

Was the screen easy to put together? Any alignment issues? This PJ is high on my list and I value your opinion. Thx - Rico.

·
Registered
11 Posts
***Glad you're enjoying the new PJ! A couple quick questions - - how far back from the end of the unit to the wall where the screen is? And, how high up is the bottom of the picture (vertical offset) from the PJ itself?

Was the screen easy to put together? Any alignment issues? This PJ is high on my list and I value your opinion. Thx - Rico.
From the back of the projector to the front of the screen, I measured ~9.5”. The front of the screen is ~1.5” from the wall.

From the top of the projector to bottom of the screen, I measured ~8.75”.

Having never built a screen, my wife and I found the build pretty straightforward, especially with the help of their online tutorial. Alignment wasn’t too bad, but I do have a little light bleed around the screen, so I may need to do a little more tweaking. The screen itself includes some nifty adjustment rods to raise or lower each side of the screen to make more precise adjustments.

I purchased this particular projector based on ProjectionHead’s recommendation on Reddit (thanks!). We previously tried out the Vava, but the Hisense is better in almost every aspect except sound and screen size variability. We did add a powered subwoofer to the analog L/R outputs which added some depth to our music and movie experience, but I’m sure a proper HT setup is preferable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello everyone, I noticed in this YouTube video review of this projector that there was a significant amount of reflection from the side wall that was relatively close to the projector screen. Is that reflection typical of ALR/CLR screens and UST projectors? I'm contemplating the Hisense with the deal going on at BuyDig, but side wall reflections might be a deal breaker. Given the dimensions of my living room, the side wall would be 2 feet away on the right side of the projector screen, so it would be good to know if I would similar reflections.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts