AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
567 Posts
I've definitely noticed this. This projector does not introduce banding if you are watching high quality content like a 4k bluray. However, for lower quality content that already has banding in it (low bitrate bluray rips, some lower quality streaming content, etc) this projector has very little post processing for removing existing banding. My previous Sony TV did a much better job of cleaning up poor content than this projector does. This is not a big enough issue that it worries me personally at all. High quality source material looks amazing.

PS. Not "vertical banding" as in dirty screen effect, it does not suffer from that at all.
We noticed it on the 100l5f using out 4K Samsung Demo video that we used when we shot our "UST Shootout" (to be published soon). It wasn't terrible, but was visible under scrutiny. I believe it is visible in the video we shot but really only on 1-2 specific scenes.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
***Check out B&H Photo for their current bundle package. Any confirmation on the screen being shipped currently? 100” fully assembled? That‘s really convenient. You can spend your time figuring out how to center the picture and mount the screen. I think Hisense will be a big player in the UST market for years to come.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
We noticed it on the 100l5f using out 4K Samsung Demo video that we used when we shot our "UST Shootout" (to be published soon). It wasn't terrible, but was visible under scrutiny. I believe it is visible in the video we shot but really only on 1-2 specific scenes.
***Which leads me to believe that it’s more content related than a general flaw in the projector. Besides - Samsung has been known to secretly encode flaws in their demo material for competitors. :> )

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
***For a 2.39:1 aspect ratio - - does the Panoramic (Cinema) setting do anything or widen the picture, per se? My guess is that with a 16:9 screen, you just get letter bars. I don’t know if there’s anyway to improve cinematic, wide screen content.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
****Sorry if I forgot this but what is the distance from the projector to the wall for a 100” image? The marketing literature says only 11.4” from the wall but I’m not sure if that’s from the front or rear of the projector. Also - what type of screen is currently being shipped? I assume you have to assemble it? Thx.

P.S. - distance is probably from the front of the projector, duh, based on the spec depth of the PJ.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
***Regarding screens - - lenticular or fresnel, I think this is a great article by ProjectorScreen:

·
Registered
934 Posts
***Regarding screens - - lenticular or fresnel, I think this is a great article by ProjectorScreen:

Thanks. That was a good read. Pretty much rules out the fresnel screen option for me. I have to think the B&H kit is a fresnel screen, since it is preassembled.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Thanks. That was a good read. Pretty much rules out the fresnel screen option for me. I have to think the B&H kit is a fresnel screen, since it is preassembled.
***The Fresnel screen will be brighter - - especially with lights on and more accurate blacks without hotspotting. But you have to be dead-on to the screen or within a 45 degree angle, if I read correctly, to get the best picture. If your off-axis or have lots of folks watching at extreme angles, then the lenticular screen works better.

Guess what - - that's the same issue I have with my Sony 75" 900F LCD TV. Off angle, even a little bit, washes out the color. Not too extreme because I have a small man cave. BUT!!! This projector system is for me, myself and I. And, occasionally, my partner when she wants to watch a movie or TV show with me. So - - no big change for "Moi." I'll always have the numero uno seat in the house. B&H is supposed to get back with me on a confirmation on the type of screen that is shipped with this projector. Lastly - - I think it's great that the Fresnel screen comes assembled. One less (two hour plus?) hassle and you can get going with your projector ASAP.

·
Registered
934 Posts
***The Fresnel screen will be brighter - - especially with lights on and more accurate blacks without hotspotting. But you have to be dead-on to the screen or within a 45 degree angle, if I read correctly, to get the best picture. If your off-axis or have lots of folks watching at extreme angles, then the lenticular screen works better.

Guess what - - that's the same issue I have with my Sony 75" 900F LCD TV. Off angle, even a little bit, washes out the color. Not too extreme because I have a small man cave. BUT!!! This projector system is for me, myself and I. And, occasionally, my partner when she wants to watch a movie or TV show with me. So - - no big change for "Moi." I'll always have the numero uno seat in the house. B&H is supposed to get back with me on a confirmation on the type of screen that is shipped with this projector. Lastly - - I think it's great that the Fresnel screen comes assembled. One less (two hour plus?) hassle and you can get going with your projector ASAP.

I'm not too concerned about the viewing axis, either. My man cave is small as well. But my ceiling is low and I can't have light splilling onto it (fresnel). I do agree, I'd prefer a preassembled screen vs DIY, but I think my setup will fare better with a lenticular screen.

I've narrowed my search down to this pj or the Epson LS300.

Let us know what B&H says about the screen type.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
I'm not too concerned about the viewing axis, either. My man cave is small as well. But my ceiling is low and I can't have light splilling onto it (fresnel). I do agree, I'd prefer a preassembled screen vs DIY, but I think my setup will fare better with a lenticular screen.

I've narrowed my search down to this pj or the Epson LS300.

Let us know what B&H says about the screen type.
***Will do. But I'd like to learn more about the so called "light spill" on the ceiling. Maybe some pictures? Also - - the light spilling from the projector? This is the first I've heard of it and I'll see if I can find any videos of fresnel screens that show this effect. I wonder how bright the light is? No one wants Tinker Bell in their home theater. I doubt it would be noticeable during the daytime with light pouring in. And, at night with some lights on - - which I always have. With my BenQ W1080ST projector - - I always had to watch in total darkness. I really don't like that environment. Hence, when 4K came, the 75" Sony 900F ended all my projector viewing. This will get me back to that big theater screen experience

The standard ceiling height is 8 feet. My man cave is a little over 7 feet. From what I've seen - - the fresnel screen provides darker blacks and more vivid colors. Plus - - it's better for daytime viewing. I have no dog in this fight - - and when I'm looking to buy a UST later this year, having a fully assembled screen is a plus. I dread having to put one together. I'd hire someone to do it just as I pay for snow shoveling when we get big dumps in Colorado like we had this week. I guess I'm getting older and can't stand the aggravation. (Captain McCluskey - The Godfather I)

The Epson LS300 looks nice. It doesn't come with a screen so that would be cheaper if you decided to buy a lenticular screen separate from the projector. It gets good reviews on Amazon but with the caveat of projector noise. But that observation can be subjective and you never know unless you have it in your setup or the sound level can be quantified by Projector Central or some other reviewing organization. Enjoy your journey!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
***Will do. But I'd like to learn more about the so called "light spill" on the ceiling. Maybe some pictures? Also - - the light spilling from the projector? This is the first I've heard of it and I'll see if I can find any videos of fresnel screens that show this effect. I wonder how bright the light is? No one wants Tinker Bell in their home theater. I doubt it would be noticeable during the daytime with light pouring in. And, at night with some lights on - - which I always have. With my BenQ W1080ST projector - - I always had to watch in total darkness. I really don't like that environment. Hence, when 4K came, the 75" Sony 900F ended all my projector viewing. This will get me back to that big theater screen experience

The standard ceiling height is 8 feet. My man cave is a little over 7 feet. From what I've seen - - the fresnel screen provides darker blacks and more vivid colors. Plus - - it's better for daytime viewing. I have no dog in this fight - - and when I'm looking to buy a UST later this year, having a fully assembled screen is a plus. I dread having to put one together. I'd hire someone to do it just as I pay for snow shoveling when we get big dumps in Colorado like we had this week. I guess I'm getting older and can't stand the aggravation. (Captain McCluskey - The Godfather I)

The Epson LS300 looks nice. It doesn't come with a screen so that would be cheaper if you decided to buy a lenticular screen separate from the projector. It gets good reviews on Amazon but with the caveat of projector noise. But that observation can be subjective and you never know unless you have it in your setup or the sound level can be quantified by Projector Central or some other reviewing organization. Enjoy your journey!
There are some pics earlier in this thread which shows the light spill on the ceiling from the fresnel screen (posted by @ProjectionHead).

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
There are some pics earlier in this thread which shows the light spill on the ceiling from the fresnel screen (posted by @ProjectionHead).
***Much thanks. Great work by ProjectionHead, as usual. YIKES - - let's hope they fixed that light bleed on the ceiling with the newer fresnel screens. Always trade-offs. It would be great to get an update on the latest screens being shipped with the 100L5F. And - - the triple laser Hisense offering, although I've read about "sparkles" with the Samsung triple lasers. That would be a huge downer to have the same issue with a Hisense Triple Laser.

Lastly - - I use a bias light strip currently with my Sony 75" 900F LCD TV. It works great but I only use it on the top and at the lowest light setting. I'm not sure how well I'd like it all the way around the screen. That seems pretty bright to me. Thanks, as always, for your informative posts.

P.S. - Funny that it's mentioned about the ceiling reflections but I noticed with my LCD TV, I get an even shine across the top of my white ceiling. (Low man cave ceiling) I never really noticed it before. The light bleed with the projector, though, seems like more of a holograph/hologram with more intense light focused in one general area.

Reactions: m0j0

·
Registered
934 Posts

I hear you on the dark room environment. I'm also looking to get away from that and be able to have some lights on (within reason).

The Epson LS300 is only 1080p with UHD input. I'm not sure I want to purchase a 1080p unit in 2021. Then there's the Amazon reviews suggesting that the fan noise is too loud, but I always take user reviews with a grain of salt. -A lot of the people buying USTs have never owned a pj before. Some fan noise is expected. Like you said, until there's a pro review with actual measurements, it's hard to say.

I don't know that it would be cheaper to buy a UST screen separately. Depending on how you look at it, that could be a positive for the Hisense (when on sale). If it ever hits $2399 again, that's seems like an awesome deal. There are UST screens that are north of $1K USD.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
***Interesting article on Hisense and their new 100L59 laser projector which is supposed to be available in August of 2021. Hisense says its sales have increased 325% and that there is less "blue light" with their laser projection systems. I always thought UST technology makes projectors more affordable and easier to setup than traditional projectors. That, coupled with laser technology (sealed system) and you have a winning combination. Not that there aren't issues to overcome with UST technology - - need for better blacks, lens shifting, motorized lens and screen optimization (light bleed, halos) - - but I think UST's are here to stay and I'm looking forward to Hisense's new laser release in August.

Reactions: m0j0
181 - 200 of 240 Posts