AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
@ProjectionHead, how does this hisense compare to the samsung lsp7t and the Optoma P2? I think I had settled on the Samsung until I saw the hisense on sale and now I’m reconsidering.

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
494 Posts
Hello everyone, I noticed in this YouTube video review of this projector that there was a significant amount of reflection from the side wall that was relatively close to the projector screen. Is that reflection typical of ALR/CLR screens and UST projectors? I'm contemplating the Hisense with the deal going on at BuyDig, but side wall reflections might be a deal breaker. Given the dimensions of my living room, the side wall would be 2 feet away on the right side of the projector screen, so it would be good to know if I would similar reflections.

This may not be the same screen that comes with it in the USA currently. The current screen is a "soft" screen which only comes disassembled. The screen in the video is fully assembled and based on how one of the people in the video was "wiping down" the surface, I have a feeling this is their "soon to be released" rigid screen.

Pretty soon the 100L5F will ONLY be sold with the new rigid screen (no more soft screen option). The rigid screen is a higher gain for an overall brighter image, but the preview photos I saw showed a lot of reflection on the walls and ceiling. I was told that this has been addressed and that I am expecting one of these new rigid screens sent to me in about 5-10 days for evaluation from Hisense. I will be publishing some video/review on that once received as well.

Also, we will see the 120L5F coming out in a couple of months. It is the same unit but with a fixed focus to 120" instead of the 100". There may be additional upgrades (brightness, etc) as well but that is not yet published.

Halfway through the year we should be seeing Hisense's triple laser unit. I have read some preliminary specs and can say that the MSRP is going to make a lot of people looking for that kind of tech smile. It will be available without a screen as well since it is going to be variable focus (90" - 120").

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may not be the same screen that comes with it in the USA currently. The current screen is a "soft" screen which only comes disassembled. The screen in the video is fully assembled and based on how one of the people in the video was "wiping down" the surface, I have a feeling this is their "soon to be released" rigid screen.

Pretty soon the 100L5F will ONLY be sold with the new rigid screen (no more soft screen option). The rigid screen is a higher gain for an overall brighter image, but the preview photos I saw showed a lot of reflection on the walls and ceiling. I was told that this has been addressed and that I am expecting one of these new rigid screens sent to me in about 5-10 days for evaluation from Hisense. I will be publishing some video/review on that once received as well.

Also, we will see the 120L5F coming out in a couple of months. It is the same unit but with a fixed focus to 120" instead of the 100". There may be additional upgrades (brightness, etc) as well but that is not yet published.

Halfway through the year we should be seeing Hisense's triple laser unit. I have read some preliminary specs and can say that the MSRP is going to make a lot of people looking for that kind of tech smile. It will be available without a screen as well since it is going to be variable focus (90" - 120").
Thanks for all the useful info. Any chance a future update can/could support 3D, same as the vava?

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I purchased this projector and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. I am by no means an expert, just a display enthusiast who's been lucky enough to have owned a wide variety of display technologies over the decades. This is not my first projector, but it is my first UST projector. There was very little detailed information around this particular projector which made the research process quite difficult, so here is my totally subjective review and the types of things I wanted to know before buying this projector. If anyone has any additional questions, I'd be happy to try and answer to the best of my ability.

SCREEN:
I am based in Canada so my two choices were the original Hisense screen or the Grandview Dynamique for similar prices. I went with the Grandview Dynamique based mainly on information from @ProjectionHead (thank you!) who sells this screen in the US. The two things I was worried about with regard to the screen:
  • ambient light/black level performance; and
  • ability to discern 4k resolution.
As far as 4k resolution is concerned, the Grandview is perfect, just like @ProjectionHead said it would be. I can make out single pixel 4k lines both vertically and horizontally.
Black level performance is where I am glad I bought the Grandview. Not because I have any idea how well the Hisense performs, but just because I know the Grandview is on par with most of the high performing UST ALR screens out there, and the black level performance is..... just ok. If I had bought the Hisense screen I would have been questioning whether the Grandview had better performance. More on black levels later.
All told, I am very happy with the Grandview and the difference between using the projector on the wall vs with the screen is incredible. It really does look just like a TV under the right circumstances.

SETUP:
This was by far the biggest surprise. It is shockingly difficult to get the screen mounted and everything fitted perfectly. Once it is done it looks amazing but wow does the process suck. I even had to redrill holes to move the screen after misplacing it the first time, and I'm the type of person who measures 100 times before drilling that first hole. The Grandview has about 0.5cm of up and down adjustment that you can do (primarily just to get the screen level) where as I understand the Hisense screen has a lot more up and down play, likely making installation significantly easier.
Even when you have the screen in the right spot, you then need to get the image aligned. This was also more challenging than I expected, until I found this video that made everything so much easier. I cannot recommend this video enough (for any UST screen):

LIGHT BLEED:
There is a disappointing amount of light bleed from the projector, a common issue with the TI 4X pixel shifter chip. It is a dark grey band about 3-4cm thick around the whole projected image. When you line the projector up with the screen manually and don't use geometric correction this strip of light bleeds past the screen and you only see about 1-2cm of it on the wall but it is still there and annoys me. I really wish Grandview had made the black screen frame 1cm wider to compensate for this (understandably that would be detrimental to those using projectors that don't have this 'feature'). Today I will be receiving a 7m bias light to hopefully remove this issue (and potentially improve perceived black levels). Outside of that particular projector issue, reflections are great from the Grandview. I have it on white walls with a white ceiling, and I don't see large amounts of light reflecting anywhere.

RESOLUTION AND FOCUS:
I was concerned about this aspect pre-purchase as I had never seen a pixel shifter in action, and also various reports from the other UST forums here with issues surrounding chromatic aberration or focus softness in corners, etc. Looking at the pictures in those other forums I honestly can't believe how good the Hisense is by comparison, I wonder if it is because of the fixed 100" screen size? There is no CA whatsoever, and the resolution is pin sharp, right across the screen. For those new to projectors, don't expect this to look like an LCD. If you can imagine pixel peeping an LCD, it's kind of like looking through an ultra fine fly screen mesh, where each pixel is perfectly square and perfectly separated from the adjacent pixels. Pixel peeping this projector, the edge of each pixel almost blurs into the pixel next to it, there is no separating line between them and they are not perfect little squares. This (to my eye) creates a far more natural look, particularly with faces and is also helpful when gaming, as it ever so slightly minimizes aliasing issues. It also makes watching older 1080p content nicer. To be very clear though, I can see every single 4k pixel, I have tested this with single pixel horizontal and vertical lines using the Spears & Munsil UHD disk as well as with computer text/cursors where I know where to look for pixels. Resolution was definitely a pleasant surprise.

GAME MODE:
This was my primary area of concern as roughly 50% of my use of the projector is with the Playstation. Part of the reason I chose this projector over some of the competing UST projectors is input lag. Hisense 'claimed' that this model had under 50ms input lag, but when it comes to input lag, I only trust Leo Bodnar measurements. This review (HISENSE 100L5F LASER TV REVIEW- PERFORMANCE 2 - Projector Reviews) measured it at 33ms with a Leo Bodnar, which honestly I questioned as that seems too low for the chip being used. This review (
) then measured it at 44ms with a Leo Bodnar. So maybe it really was that fast? To my utter amazement (as I was prepared to accept worse), gaming has been amazing. Subjectively (so take this next part with a grain of salt) it is equivalent to the Sony X850E (33ms) that I have been using for comparison. I have tested by switching the PS5 between that TV and this projector back and forth and fabricating jumping tests, and camera tests and they 'feel' exactly the same. I have plugged in a computer and used a mouse (which for me is always the biggest giveaway of input lag) and they 'feel' the same. Outside of lag, it only supports 60Hz and does not have any of the HDMI 2.1 features. Despite that, gaming is incredible on this projector and I am so relieved!

GEOMETRIC CORRECTION:
The projector comes with geometric correction which allows you to tweak any corners or edges to get them fitted perfectly. Some observations:
  • When you enable Game Mode, the geometric correction still works, and you still get the reduction in lag (not sure how they did this, other UST projectors tend to disable this in game mode).
  • When you use geometric correction, you can only make the image smaller, which means you get more light bleed on the wall past the screen.
  • When you use geometric correction, even just one pip, you lose the ability to make out each 4k pixel. Single pixel lines get a banded moire-like effect. Looking at typical content I could not tell the difference, but just knowing that there was a miniscule loss of resolution across the entire image meant that I would never be satisfied using this feature. I spent the extra time to get the projector perfectly lined up manually. Thankfully this projector has all 4 feet being adjustable.
In conclusion, I would just avoid it.

MOTION:
It handles 24p natively and motion looks smooth. Unlike some other UST projectors in this price bracket, MEMC is available for 4k HDR and appears to be exactly what you would find in the Hisense H9G. I use the 'Clear' option (cue half the readers of this forum dismissing everything I say haha), which removes 24p judder but doesn't totally smooth the image. The MEMC implementation is ok, but not amazing. It's basically what you see on the H9G so check reviews of that model for a comparison. It's certainly competent, but there are motion artifacts present (just like any MEMC implementation). It's slightly worse than I would've hoped, but not so bad that I would turn it off. I would describe it as 80-90% of what you would get from a Samsung/Sony TV.

CALIBRATION:
Almost the entire calibration menu operates like the Hisense H9G which is a good thing. You can tweak just about everything from 20 point white balance to full gamma control. The TV arrives in honestly an awful state. The colours are so out of whack, the yellows are way too saturated, the red look orangish, it's just bad. Thankfully, with a lot of work tweaking you can get it looking pretty great. How great? I don't know, but I have ordered an XRite Display Pro Plus so should be able to measure and fine tune it properly when I receive that. I at least know that with nothing more than the Spears & Munsil UHD disk, I have been able to get a really great looking, natural image. Colours are vibrant and both SDR and HDR look fantastic. There is no laser speckle. I personally see no rainbow effect (if it exists with this projector). At 4k60 it only appears to support 4:2:2 and does not support 4:4:4 beyond 1080p.

DYNAMIC TONE MAPPING:
Using the Spears & Munsil UHD disk at varying nit levels, the DTM curve works beautifully up to 1000nit content, and then beyond that you start losing highlight detail.

BRIGHTNESS/BLACK LEVEL/CONTRAST:
I'm not sure if all the reviews I had read about the effectiveness of UST screens had resulted in me overinflating how much of a difference they could make to black levels, but I will say I am slightly disappointed with black level performance. The blacks are grey and it kind of reminds me of an edge-lit LCD from 8 years ago, that level of grey. On the other end of the spectrum, the brightness is incredible, it is so bright as to be dazzling, especially in shots that pan past the sun or whatever else has been set to be super bright in the scene you are watching. This projector is clearly less bright than the 1000nit LCD I came from, but it actually feels brighter/more impactful in those 'meant to be bright' scenes. I suspect maybe because of the sheer size of the screen and the resulting size of the bright object? Whatever the reason, it's great. Contrast is a mixed bag. On scenes that are mostly bright (70%), with some deep shadowing (30%), the contrast is really, really good. The blacks look deep and impactful, just like watching a TV. Reverse that, 30% (or less) bright and 70% shadow and you really feel the weakness of the black levels. It's plainly obvious you are looking at a projector. That said, I recently adjusted the backlight down to 10 (from 20) and the difference it made was significant. Blacks (everywhere, but particularly in dark scenes) are deeper and the loss of brightness in the bright whites is really not that much considering how bright this projector is to begin with. I actually still use the backlight at 10 even with ambient light in the room, to give you an indication of how bright this thing actually is. As far as black levels and black crush, the projector is excellent. Even though the blacks are a dark grey, I still get all the shadow detail and can see a single step above black (just).

AMBIENT LIGHT:
Ambient light handling is obviously significantly improved with the screen. I have the projector in a room that only has a single window and whilst it does get some sunlight in the afternoon, you would not describe the room as overly bright or anything. The projector is bright enough that it easily overcomes the ambient light I do get to display a perfectly watchable image, but it definitely loses the wow factor you get from watching in a dark room. The difference is meaningful enough that during the day I will watch shows that I deem less worthy and then save certain content for night time when I really want to experience it at its best. This is not a choice that I felt I needed to make with a TV.

SOUND:
I have a surround sound system and I've never even tried the speaker to see if it works. It has ARC on HDMI1 (no eARC) but for whatever reason it was not playing nicely with my Sony STR-DN1080 so I just ended up routing everything through the receiver in the end.

LOGITECH HARMONY SUPPORT:
It's not listed, but everything works seamlessly when you select Hisense H9G. The remote that comes with it is excellent as well.

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Fully functioning 4k HDR Android TV, the same one you get on the Hisense H9G. Android is my favourite OS for TVs and it performs exactly as you'd hope, that said I still use my Nvidia Shield and Google TV instead.

CONCLUSION:
I could not be happier with this purchase, a purchase that was giving me much angst going into it as I did not have a good sense of the magnitude of the compromises I would be making. Other than black level, it has performed as well or better on just about every front than I was expecting, so it would not be an exaggeration to say that I really am ecstatic with its performance. Reading through the threads of the other UST projectors in this tier (Optoma P2, Samsung LSP7T) or lower (Xiaomi, Vava, Wemax, etc) or even higher (Samsung LSP9T, LG HU85L), I am so thankful I am not faced with all the various annoying issues they seem to be having. This projector is sharp, bright, easy to use, and just works.

I will be receiving an XRite Display Pro Plus in a few weeks. Once I have used it to calibrate the picture I will gladly share my calibration settings (with the usual disclaimers of 'just for my tv', light situation, etc).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Better prices than the Samsung LSP9T?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Better prices than the Samsung LSP9T?
This is much cheaper, not even in the same ballpark. The Samsung LSP9T is a far more premium device though, with 3 lasers and full BT2020 colour gamut. That said, it comes with its fair share of issues too - laser speckle, rainbow effect (if you're prone to it), potentially a magenta hue to the image (?), and worse input lag than this projector.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is much cheaper, not even in the same ballpark. The Samsung LSP9T is a far more premium device though, with 3 lasers and full BT2020 colour gamut. That said, it comes with its fair share of issues too - laser speckle, rainbow effect (if you're prone to it), potentially a magenta hue to the image (?), and worse input lag than this projector. But you can learn all that in the Samsung LSP9T forum post...
I was referring to the quoted text: the next Hisense trilaser projector... :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
See attached a really zoomed in photo of the Netflix 4k test pattern to show individual 4k pixels (the little strokes on the ruler thing) even on the far edge of the screen. Not the best photo quality but it's hard to take these photos with a phone camera. (That weird cross hatching you see on the zoomed in picture is not there IRL, just something the phone is doing.)

PXL_20210105_024638720.jpg PXL_20210105_024653401.jpg PXL_20210105_024713616.jpg PXL_20210105_024745774.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
It seems to me an excellent image.
It really is. The addition of the bias light that I mentioned in my review has made a huge difference as well. The light bleed issue is barely noticeable now and it had even more of an impact on the perceived depth of the blacks than I could have hoped for. Blacks are deep and it makes the colours pop even more than before. Here are some images that are pretty representative of what I see with my eyes (despite being taken with a smartphone).

PXL_20210105_024217898.jpg PXL_20210105_024119923.jpg PXL_20210105_023901881.jpg PXL_20210105_023825096.jpg PXL_20210105_023724231.jpg PXL_20210105_023259199.jpg PXL_20210105_023056103.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
It really is. The addition of the bias light that I mentioned in my review has made a huge difference as well. The light bleed issue is barely noticeable now and it had even more of an impact on the perceived depth of the blacks than I could have hoped for. Blacks are deep and it makes the colours pop even more than before. Here are some images that are pretty representative of what I see with my eyes (despite being taken with a smartphone).

View attachment 3076121 View attachment 3076122 View attachment 3076123 View attachment 3076124 View attachment 3076125 View attachment 3076126 View attachment 3076127
What back light kit did you use?

·
Registered
67 Posts

View attachment 3076121 View attachment 3076122 View attachment 3076123 View attachment 3076124 View attachment 3076125 View attachment 3076126 View attachment 3076127
Wow! Those look as good as my Sammy Lsp9 if not better, very impressive for less than half of a price. Pic's are razor sharp too! You're using Grandview Dynamique 120" correct?

·
Registered
65 Posts
What back light kit did you use?
This is just a cheap amazon strip light for $30 because I wasn't convinced I would like it. I do somewhat regret it because even though it allows me to set exact colours (e.g. 133 units of green, 240 units of red, 4 units of blue, etc) the quality of the LEDs are poor enough that I really struggle to get what I feel is a neutral, 6500K white. I would have liked to have purchased something from MediaLight Canada | 6500K Bias Lighting with the MediaLight Bias Light but they didn't have anything long enough to make it all the way around the screen. My current plan is to fine tune the light strip when I get my XRite calibrator and if I can't get anything I'm happy with upgrade to a better light strip.

Wow! Those look as good as my Sammy Lsp9 if not better, very impressive for less than half of a price. Pic's are razor sharp too! You're using Grandview Dynamique 120" correct?
It looks fantastic, but don't forget the colour gamut on this projector is just above REC709. The Sammy gets most of the way to BT2020. The colours here still look really vibrant and great, but they're not even remotely in the same league.

I am using the Grandview Dynamique 100". Another limitation of this projector is that it can only do 100" with pin sharp focus. If you move it out to 120" you have no ability to adjust the focus (unless you rip it apart like this guy).

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is just a cheap amazon strip light for $30 because I wasn't convinced I would like it. I do somewhat regret it because even though it allows me to set exact colours (e.g. 133 units of green, 240 units of red, 4 units of blue, etc) the quality of the LEDs are poor enough that I really struggle to get what I feel is a neutral, 6500K white. I would have liked to have purchased something from MediaLight Canada | 6500K Bias Lighting with the MediaLight Bias Light but they didn't have anything long enough to make it all the way around the screen. My current plan is to fine tune the light strip when I get my XRite calibrator and if I can't get anything I'm happy with upgrade to a better light strip.

It looks fantastic, but don't forget the colour gamut on this projector is just above REC709. The Sammy gets most of the way to BT2020. The colours here still look really vibrant and great, but they're not even remotely in the same league.

I am using the Grandview Dynamique 100". Another limitation of this projector is that it can only do 100" with pin sharp focus. If you move it out to 120" you have no ability to adjust the focus (unless you rip it apart like this guy).
Yeah i think im gonna order Hisense right now! I can get it for 3rd of what i paid for Lsp9. Also don't really care much for HDR either, as i play all of my games in SDR anyway. Was never really big into it anyway. And on top of everything i'm getting some bad CA and RBE with my unit too! I have over 2 months left to return it so i'll be doing comparisons for sure, but i'd be lying if i wasn't impressed with Hisense right now! All the review videos on YT look great. Seems like a fantastic deal really. Suprised more people don't own it to be honest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah i think im gonna order Hisense right now! I can get it for 3rd of what i paid for Lsp9. Also don't really care much for HDR either, as i play all of my games in SDR anyway. Was never really big into it anyway. And on top of everything i'm getting some bad CA and RBE with my unit too! I have over 2 months left to return it so i'll be doing comparisons for sure, but i'd be lying if i wasn't impressed with Hisense right now! All the review videos on YT look great. Seems like a fantastic deal really. Suprised more people don't own it to be honest.
If you use it for games it really is the obvious choice. No other UST has input lag this low.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you use it for games it really is the obvious choice. No other UST has input lag this low.
Exactly! I think i saw one review where they said it was in the low 40ms's is that true? If so that is excellent. Have you played any games on it btw?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Exactly! I think i saw one review where they said it was in the low 40ms's is that true? If so that is excellent. Have you played any games on it btw?
The only two Leo Bodnar measurements I've seen are 33ms and 44ms. Hisense have stated that it is under 50ms but haven't given further clarification than that (that I've seen). 50% of my use case is for gaming and subjectively it is great. I can parry in Demon's Souls just as consistently as I could on the rather old Sony X850E LCD that I was using. Even using a mouse with a PC feels fine.

Here are some games:
PXL_20210105_023259199.jpg PXL_20210105_023056103.jpg PXL_20210105_022856789.jpg PXL_20210105_023504857.jpg

21 - 40 of 87 Posts