AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only two Leo Bodnar measurements I've seen are 33ms and 44ms. Hisense have stated that it is under 50ms but haven't given further clarification than that (that I've seen). 50% of my use case is for gaming and subjectively it is great. I can parry in Demon's Souls just as consistently as I could on the rather old Sony X850E LCD that I was using. Even using a mouse with a PC feels fine.

Here are some games:
View attachment 3076196 View attachment 3076197 View attachment 3076198 View attachment 3076199
Those look fantastic! Thank you for that, much appreciated. Well that does it for me, i just placed an order with delivery sometime next week. So looking forward to it.

Only thing is i don't wanna downsize on my screen from 120" So i think if everything checks out, and it's a keeper i'm gonna open it and manually re-adjust focus.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Last set of photos, but I just wanted to show how bad the picture can look too, so that people are informed of the downsides.

Middle of the day, direct light from window to the right of the screen, bias light off:
PXL_20210108_190210344.jpg

Middle of the day, direct light from window to the right of the screen, bias light on:
PXL_20210108_190232930.jpg

Middle of the day, blind closed on window but quite a bit of ambient light from adjacent room and surrounding the blind, bias light off:
PXL_20210108_190312534.jpg

Middle of the day, blind closed on window but quite a bit of ambient light from adjacent room and surrounding the blind, bias light on:
PXL_20210108_190321719.jpg

Night time, no ambient light, bias light on:
PXL_20210105_023724231.jpg

(All the other photos I've posted in this thread are at night time with the lights off, ideal conditions.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those look fantastic! Thank you for that, much appreciated. Well that does it for me, i just placed an order with delivery sometime next week. So looking forward to it.

Only thing is i don't wanna downsize on my screen from 120" So i think if everything checks out, and it's a keeper i'm gonna open it and manually re-adjust focus.
@ProjectionHead mentioned here that there will be an official, fixed 120" version releasing in a couple of months. Might be worth waiting for that?

·
Registered
67 Posts
@ProjectionHead mentioned here that there will be an official, fixed 120" version releasing in a couple of months. Might be worth waiting for that?
Good looking out! Those are not bad at all during daytime. Looks like 100L5's brightness is pretty darn good. But, my cave is in the basement, and it's pitch black with no windows. So i'm pretty much all set.

Also have a 77" LGC9 in bedrom, and 85" Sammy 8k in living room. But I love my UST with all the faults way more than any of them. Like they're so small now lol, i can't even bring myself to watch anything on them anymore. To be honest Lsp9 is my first projector, and i am just blown away by the sheer size of the screen. Picture size over quality gets it done for me. And I already ordered LF5, as i'm not patient hehe. But i'm pretty confident by opening the unit, and adjusting the focus will work so i'm not that worried at all. As long as my unit doesn't have CA and RBE it's a keeper by default i'd say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is just a cheap amazon strip light for $30 because I wasn't convinced I would like it. I do somewhat regret it because even though it allows me to set exact colours (e.g. 133 units of green, 240 units of red, 4 units of blue, etc) the quality of the LEDs are poor enough that I really struggle to get what I feel is a neutral, 6500K white. I would have liked to have purchased something from MediaLight Canada | 6500K Bias Lighting with the MediaLight Bias Light but they didn't have anything long enough to make it all the way around the screen. My current plan is to fine tune the light strip when I get my XRite calibrator and if I can't get anything I'm happy with upgrade to a better light strip.

It looks fantastic, but don't forget the colour gamut on this projector is just above REC709. The Sammy gets most of the way to BT2020. The colours here still look really vibrant and great, but they're not even remotely in the same league.

I am using the Grandview Dynamique 100". Another limitation of this projector is that it can only do 100" with pin sharp focus. If you move it out to 120" you have no ability to adjust the focus (unless you rip it apart like this guy).
The backlights look great but do they hurt the contrast or picture at all?

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
494 Posts
Last set of photos, but I just wanted to show how bad the picture can look too, so that people are informed of the downsides.

Middle of the day, direct light from window to the right of the screen, bias light off:
View attachment 3076207

Middle of the day, direct light from window to the right of the screen, bias light on:
View attachment 3076208

Middle of the day, blind closed on window but quite a bit of ambient light from adjacent room and surrounding the blind, bias light off:
View attachment 3076209

Middle of the day, blind closed on window but quite a bit of ambient light from adjacent room and surrounding the blind, bias light on:
View attachment 3076210

Night time, no ambient light, bias light on:
View attachment 3076251

(All the other photos I've posted in this thread are at night time with the lights off, ideal conditions.)
For "bad" pics, those still look pretty darn good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The backlights look great but do they hurt the contrast or picture at all?
It definitely increases perceived contrast. The idea is that when the image on screen is dim, the backlight is still providing light to your eyes causing them to dilate which makes the blacks appear blacker. When the image is bright, it’s brighter than the bias lights so has no effect on your pupils. That’s the theory, subjectively it works better than I’d anticipated, and you can even see the impact on the photos above. One way you can hurt your picture is by having the wrong colour temp on the bias light. If your bias light is too cool, it will make the image appear overly warm and vice versa, so you need to make sure you get a bias light that you can adjust.

For "bad" pics, those still look pretty darn good.
Oh I totally agree, for a projector. A lot of people (like myself!) might be coming to this from a TV and it’s hard to find photos like this that let you see and assess the compromise you’ll be making for yourself. Like I said earlier, I couldn’t be happier with the picture!

·
Registered
11 Posts
@bjanssen Thanks for sharing your experience with the product. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment and have also been extremely satisfied with mine as well. Really looking forward to your calibration settings as my unit is just on the Theater preset.

Random Logitech Harmony question, though... Are you able to mimic the Menu button from the Hisense remote? When I am using an HDMI input and press Menu on the Harmony remote, I would expect the Picture/Screen/Sound menu to appear on the right, but instead I’m taken to the AndroidTV main menu. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Random Logitech Harmony question, though... Are you able to mimic the Menu button from the Hisense remote? When I am using an HDMI input and press Menu on the Harmony remote, I would expect the Picture/Screen/Sound menu to appear on the right, but instead I’m taken to the AndroidTV main menu. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I haven’t really tried, but you probably have the menu button set to Hisense Home instead of Hisense Menu. You can customize the individual buttons on the remote to change that and experiment with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven’t really tried, but you probably have the menu button set to Hisense Home instead of Hisense Menu. You can customize the individual buttons on the remote to change that and experiment with it.
I’ve tried setting the command to ‘Menu’, ‘Home’, and ‘SmartMenu’, but none seem to work. It’s probably just some quirk with the software since all of the other buttons work flawlessly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just finished setting up my 100LF5. Screen is the right height and level. Tv stand where projector sits is level. That said, I’m having issues getting the projection perfectly lined up with the screen, it’s very close, just not perfect. The auto Geo setting does nothing and manual doesn’t help much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just finished setting up my 100LF5. Screen is the right height and level. Tv stand where projector sits is level. That said, I’m having issues getting the projection perfectly lined up with the screen, it’s very close, just not perfect. The auto Geo setting does nothing and manual doesn’t help much.
Please post photos of your setup. Looking forward to getting mine Thursday.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you use it for games it really is the obvious choice. No other UST has input lag this low.
Remember the A300 and rooted Fengmi also have been reviewed with Leo bodnar at 32.7ms. Just keeping it real. 💯😉 It's encouraging to see more DLP UST's below 50ms though.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts