AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
each corner

View attachment 3077565 View attachment 3077566 View attachment 3077567 View attachment 3077568 View attachment 3077569
Feels like the more I mess with the legs, the worse I make it. Projector is 11” 3/8 from the wall per instructions.
Haven't received mine yet but looking forward to it. I would say you need to somewhat disregard the instructions and just move the projector forward or back until the picture is exactly the right width. Then move the screen up or down with the rods until the picture is exactly the right height and fills the screen. Geometric corrections are not meant to handle this situation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Feels like the more I mess with the legs, the worse I make it. Projector is 11” 3/8 from the wall per instructions.
God I remember this pain. Just awful trying to get it perfect!

If you are doing manual geometric correction, you need to push the projector in so that the image is very slightly larger than your screen first. Geometric correction can only make the screen smaller.

If you are trying to avoid it like I was, this video saved my sanity. Follow the screen alignment instructions to the letter, do not move to the next step until the step you are on is exactly right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
God I remember this pain. Just awful trying to get it perfect!

If you are doing manual geometric correction, you need to push the projector in so that the image is very slightly larger than your screen first. Geometric correction can only make the screen smaller.

If you are trying to avoid it like I was, this video saved my sanity. Follow the screen alignment instructions to the letter, do not move to the next step until the step you are on is exactly right.

Yeah I noticed the geo settings could only make it smaller, only issue is, when I pull it out to make it slightly bigger than the screen, it ends up messing up the top or bottom.

Also, thanks for the link. I’ll try it when I get home.

·
Registered
601 Posts
This was on sale recently too. I wasn't sure how good hisense is, but now I wish I would've picked it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also didn’t realize how far back I’d have to pull my tv stand from the wall for this projector. What have you guys done with the 11-12” gap to make it look nice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
What kind of tv stand are you using? Will be projecting onto a wall that will be height restricted with the presence of a split duct A/C unit. I’m not sure if I’ll have to floor mount (too low?) or use a low riser stand.

each corner

View attachment 3077565 View attachment 3077566 View attachment 3077567 View attachment 3077568 View attachment 3077569

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hisense 100L5F or Bomaker Polaris? I read that the OEMs for both projectors is Hisense. I have the 100L5F which I’m extremely happy with, but saw that Amazon has the Polaris for $1880 after coupons. The idea of a triple laser UST under $2K sounds intriguing, but Bomaker is still an unproven UST brand much like Vava was.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hisense 100L5F or Bomaker Polaris? I read that the OEMs for both projectors is Hisense. I have the 100L5F which I’m extremely happy with, but saw that Amazon has the Polaris for $1880 after coupons. The idea of a triple laser UST under $2K sounds intriguing, but Bomaker is still an unproven UST brand much like Vava was.
Something came today!!

I'd say no way! Unless Polaris is better than Samsung Lsp9, then sure, but i highly doubt it is.

I have Lsp9 and just got a L5F and to me Hisense looks much nicer and way brighter. I don't think Sammy is really 2800 lumens either. Or at least the unit i have. Because L5F is like supernova compared to it! So far the colors are not as punchy, and vibrant which is what i expected, but still looks pretty good. The brightness coming out of this thing is unreal! Lumens are much higher and the images just look more realistic, and not as cartoony. The black levels are better on Sammy, where L5F has much better and more responsive UI. I only played with it for about hr and half so far, but darn i'm really liking it a lot! Worth mentioning i have no RBE or laser speckle of any kind. Image is super sharp!

I'm gonna do a lot more testing tonight, and tomorrow, but i can say with confidence that Samsung is not worth all that money. I got L5F for a 3rd of a Sammy's price, and this thing is built like a tank. Also aesthetically it looks so much nicer in dark vs that ugly and very reflective white. But that's just my personal opinion.

I'll have more soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
The black levels are better on Sammy
I’m super curious how big of a difference there is in black levels if you turn down the backlight setting so that it’s a similar brightness to the Samsung. I use the Hisense with backlight set to 10 at night to keep the black levels deep.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’m super curious how big of a difference there is in black levels if you turn down the backlight setting so that it’s a similar brightness to the Samsung. I use the Hisense with backlight set to 10 at night to keep the black levels deep.
I will test it out tonight, and report back!

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I had the chance to take and compare pic's from both units, and it pretty much-confirmed everything I said earlier.

This is my 2nd projector, or I should say 3rd since I also owned LSP7 before LSP9 for less than a week. I also owned every Samsung high-end model full array tv since 2013, so you could say I'm loyal to the Samsung brand and stick with their phones, washers, refrigerators, etc. Never owned anything from the Hisense brand. This is the first time, and what a wonderful experience it is.

I always wanted a PJ, but never wanted to mess with long-throw pj's, long cables, and mounting stuff to the ceiling, so UST projector's made much more sense to me. And I really wanted a bigger screen size as I game a lot. So I said to myself let's try it out!!

Visually this thing is just amazing! Right of the bet, I was amazed at how bright it got! LSP9 is rated at 2800 vs L5F's 2700 lumens. I mean this thing is just so bright that makes even my 8k Samsung QLED look dim in comparison. I think it's mostly because of the screen size, and shouldn't be possible on paper, as 1 Nit is the approximate equivalent of 3.426 ANSI Lumen. But the short throw projector isn't just limited to short time burst and 10% of the screen size, as all screen space gets bright equally and at the same time, creating such a blinding picture I have to turn down the brightness to 7-8 out of maximum 20 on L5F. To me, it sure looks like LSP9 doesn't get to that promised land, where L5F probably is closer to 3500 IF Sammy is indeed rated @ 2800 Lumens. One thing that is sure it's that my unit doesn't get that bright.

There is no sharpness issue, even on my 120" screen. I thought I was gonna have to open up the unit and mess with the focus, but this thing could probably go up to 125-130" before the image would get too soft. Also worth mentioning there is absolutely no RBE or laser speckle. I haven't noticed any dark cornering or losing sharpness. Color is way better on LSP9, but let's be honest for the amount of money it costs it better be. Colors are more vivid and rich compared to the L5F, but not that much more where you would say that unit is worth 3x the price amount. I'm gonna attach a few pics here, please excuse the light leakage on the wall, and centering issues as these are just quick and dirty comparison screens.

LSP9
20210111_164841.jpg

L5F
20210113_161131.jpg

Both units are in default Dynamic/Vivid settings mode. And you can tell that Samsung has higher contrast and better color. But L5F gets much brighter, but at the same time is blowing out a lot of the fine details, which could be fixed by turning down the brightness. But then it wouldn't be fair to LSP9. Also, what in the world are all these manufactures thinking by releasing their units in white color? Look at the amount of reflection LSP9 reflects back onto the wall, and the screen itself where L5F's darker color doesn't. I'm gonna attach a few more for you all...all pics were taken with Note 20 Ultra, as I was too lazy and tired to look for the DSLR.

LSP9
20210111_164922.jpg

L5F
20210113_161249.jpg

LSP9
20210111_165020.jpg

L5F
20210113_161502.jpg

LSP9
20210111_165325.jpg

L5F
20210113_162033.jpg

Also worth saying is that LSP9 handles gradient levels better vs L5F.

The sound is pretty darn good and much better than LSP9's. It sounds much crisper and richer, which even had me surprised. It for sure sounds much, much better than any tv set I ever owned. I'm using a 7.1 surround sound, so I won't be using it for that, but very nice that Hisense made this thing packing a good punch.

The startup of both machines takes about the same time I'd say 14-16 seconds. Sammy is a little bit louder at an operating noise level, but not by much. Both are pretty quiet, to be honest. Unless Sammy's color space is set to normal then the thing gets woken up pretty good, and the fan's noise kicks it up a few notches. Gaming wise Hisense is much more responsive compared to Samsung, and to me, that means a lot.

The user interface on Hisense is also much nicer, and more simplified. Android gets the work done fast enough, and although it is slow once the unit first turns on, it is much more responsive than the Tizen on Sammy. I do feel though that both units could've used more Ram, which could prevent them from an occasional stutter. Samsung is definitely the worst out of the two, as sometimes I would get stuck in the menus waiting for the thing to become responsive again!

Screen alignment is definitely easier on the LSP9, vs L5F. maybe because on Sammy's unit you only have two legs, where on Hisense there are 4 to adjust.

All in all, I'm pretty positive Samsung is going back, as the vast price increase does not warrant so much more extra money. If it were maybe a grand more I'd keep it. But almost 3x more, no way! Worth saying is when I lowered the brightness down to 9-10 the black levels got pretty darn good on L5F and comparable to LSP9, while still pretty bright. I have also dialed in the colors and white balance up a tiny bit, where they both look almost identical. Once I did that it's a no-brainer for me to keep the less expensive unit. I'm gonna tinker with it a little bit more for the next few days. But, this is just an Insane offering from Hisense, and the fact that they bundle a screen with their unit is just pure insanity. Really surprised there aren't more owners in here, as they really made a very affordable and good quality product.

Goodbye Sammy, and hello Hisense! Wow, never thought I would say that!!

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Got my screen put up last night. Took about 5 1/2 hours from the time I opened the box until the time I had a perfectly level screen on wall. This is not my first projector and I've put together multiple fixed projector screens, and this one was much more involved than any of the previous screens I have installed. However, I do love the ability to finish the leveling with the rods. That is a great capability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also didn’t realize how far back I’d have to pull my tv stand from the wall for this projector. What have you guys done with the 11-12” gap to make it look nice?
you'll need to get 20 inches deep tv stand than gap between the wall and the stand will left at 4 inches. Does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I am struggling to get the image completely contained within the screen. Worked the feet and moving the projector for what was probably 2 or 3 hours. Close, but just a bit off at the top. Will work on it more later tonight. Did flip on some content real quick though. Initial impression is both good and bad. The good was cartoon type content on Netflix (Tru and the wishing kingdom). Super bright and colorful, even in daytime, just wow! However, threw on The Witcher on Netflix and it was super washed out and somewhat unwatchable in the daytime. Going to have to invest in some blackout curtains I think (I have a window 2 feet to the left of the screen and another 4 foot further back on the same side).

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Got it just about dialed in now. This thing is really super bright! Much brighter than the Samsung LED that it replaced. I am very, very impressed with what I’ve seen so far. Works great in the evening with full kitchen overhead lights on. Kids played some Nintendo switch games on it and the detail and colors were phenomenal. I have a really good Sony 4K projector in my HT so I would say I am not easily impressed by just having a large image, it has to be sharp, bright and colorful, and this projector really checks all the boxes. Can’t wait to watch some sports on it this weekend!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got it just about dialed in now. This thing is really super bright! Much brighter than the Samsung LED that it replaced. I am very, very impressed with what I’ve seen so far. Works great in the evening with full kitchen overhead lights on. Kids played some Nintendo switch games on it and the detail and colors were phenomenal. I have a really good Sony 4K projector in my HT so I would say I am not easily impressed by just having a large image, it has to be sharp, bright and colorful, and this projector really checks all the boxes. Can’t wait to watch some sports on it this weekend!
Glad you got it all dialed in. It's no fun adjusting that for hrs. I got dizzy doing mine hehe. But once finished it's so worth it. I'm thinking about ordering another one for my living room as well. Not sure what to do with my 82 8k Sammy? Probably gonna sell it since i can't go back on a smaller size televison anymore. It feels so weird going down from 120" to 82 and even worse to my 65" Oled in bedroom. But yeah, L5F is super bright and i'm enjoying every minute of it. By far the best purchase i ever made. Also gaming on it is so fluid and fast, feels, and just as good as 8k Samsung in game mode.

Wanted to say thanks to "bjanssen" again for posting those pix and review. Without those i would've never made the jump. My hat's off to you sir!

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Here's the first few pictures of the L5F in my living room during the daytime watching a kids show on Netflix. Haven't tweaked or calibrated colors at all yet, so this is pretty much just the standard out of the box picture with the backlight and brightness/contrast slightly adjusted by eye. And yes, I did add a backlight and it helps turn those grey bars in widescreen movies black at night, so definitely a must have.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
does the screen have to be mounted on a wall? I'm in a somewhat unique situation where my current TV (and other equipment) is set up a foot in front of a giant (10'x6'-odd) set of windows with plantation shutters, so optimally, i'd need to put the screen up on some kind of stand/tripod. My rectangular viewing room has no usable wall at all, as one side opens to kitchen, other side has a fireplace, back opens to laundry/bathroom/garage corridor, and the aforementioned window on the front wall.

Can't perma-block the shutters, since once in a while, we do like to open the windows to let in some fresh air

(alternatively, i was looking at those fancy extend-from-the-floor rollup screens but that's almost another $2k)

(thanks in advance)

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
does the screen have to be mounted on a wall? I'm in a somewhat unique situation where my current TV (and other equipment) is set up a foot in front of a giant (10'x6'-odd) set of windows with plantation shutters, so optimally, i'd need to put the screen up on some kind of stand/tripod. My rectangular viewing room has no usable wall at all, as one side opens to kitchen, other side has a fireplace, back opens to laundry/bathroom/garage corridor, and the aforementioned window on the front wall.

Can't perma-block the shutters, since once in a while, we do like to open the windows to let in some fresh air

(alternatively, i was looking at those fancy extend-from-the-floor rollup screens but that's almost another $2k)

(thanks in advance)
You could potentially use some hooks that drop down from the ceiling but it would take some figuring out. It sounds like you might be better off just sticking with as wide of a tv as you can that fits the space.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts