AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVS, I am looking to understand some of the engineering design concepts behind UST lenticular screens, and I was hoping for a good discussion here or someone who could point me to an English speaking UST screen engineer.
I have some experience in automotive headlamp design and ray tracing for optimum output, and I believe that the same physics apply for lenticular to fresnel designed screens. I looked through a few screen threads here, but couldnt find anything that met my in-depth questions.

i have been looking at various UST screens from various manufacturers, but other than SI, I am not sure who does in house materials development and who is just an assembler/distributor.

Any help would be great! :)
Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All, I sent this as a message to Elite Screens, but I am not sure if the person monitoring the posts would have the knowledge to discuss, so I thought I would try it here.

I have some technical questions about your UST screens. I would be useful info to get a dimensioned cross section of the various types of lentil especially that you use, but since that info is most likely proprietary, maybe you could just answer some questions.

1). For CLR 1 and CLR 3 you provide horizontal disbursement charts. Can I assume that these are for lamp based projectors as the nominal design throw ratio and that this would narrow as the projector got closer to the screen and smooth as the projector moved farther away?

2). For the same two screens, if you use a laser projector projector that inherently is less diffuse than a bulb source, especially one that has no phosphor color wheel, how does that affect the dispersal pattern?

3) Can you share the vertical dispersion chart similar to the horizontal one that you publish for all three screens? How does it change when using a laser projector?

4) For a 3 laser projector with a throw ratio under 0.2, can I assume that lowering the screen with respect to the viewing eye level, I would get a better response from the screen due to the throw being outside of the minimum recommended range? I could calculate the angle of incidence and reflection based on a nominal at the midpoint throw ratio and lower my screen to match the 0.189 throw ratio, however, I suspect that there is some special treatment that is used to play with the refracted light as well that wouldn’t make the interaction that simple.

5) Is the loss in image quality that you get between CLR 1 and CLR 3 worth the added brightness and 5” increased size for a room with moderate side loaded ambient light? This assumes the added 5” gets me to the SMPTE 30 degree horizontal viewing angle. My room has moderate (39-199 lux) ambient light from the sides and seating position is 16’ from screen.

6) is the sparkle that you get with a 3-laser projector on CLR 2 and CLR 3 materials due to the surface coating, or can it be tamed by changing projector positioning and screen positioning wrt the viewing position?

7) I am sure with CLR 2 you are doing something to the materials to allow for the increased throw ratios, but I am guessing that at larger sizes, it is hard to control. However, it has the closest throw ratio to the USTs I am looking at buying. Are there plans to make anything larger?

8) An optimum lenticular design would require the lenticular reflection angles to vary from the bottom to the top of the screen to avoid hotspotting but I am guessing that also increases manufacturing costs. Also the sharper the “point” of the lentils is specced, the better the photometric result, but the more susceptible it becomes to damage by handling. Adding coatings for protection would cause reflections off of the first surface that would cause light scatter onto the ceiling. Is this an issue with your CLR 2 or CLR 3 screens?

9) Last question: In layman’s terms, what placement adjustments would you suggest for a 3-laser no optical wheel projector with a throw of 0.189 (SAMSUNG LSP9T) with the CLR 3 125” screen WRT screen height or other room conditions?

I appreciate your help. I am not certain if you do the engineering in house or just purchase and assemble the material. If so, I would love to talk to your engineering source if you would be willing to share the contact info in order to get my questions answered. I am an engineer with automotive lamp design and mechanical background dealing with material selection, so I am interested in understanding these things to optimize any screen /projector combo that I get.

Thanks much, Mike

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't think the screen suppliers actually make the material. They buy it which is probably why people claim that CLR screens across various suppliers perform the same. Also, I doubt that the manufacturer would answer your questions due to proprietary design information.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the screen suppliers actually make the material. They buy it which is probably why people claim that CLR screens across various suppliers perform the same. Also, I doubt that the manufacturer would answer your questions due to proprietary design information.
I was hoping there might be an engineer in this group who might know more. Lots of smart people in this group!

·
Registered
483 Posts
mcollin6, Bill97Z is correct on all accounts. I'm not an engineer but I do have inside knowledge of the innerworkings of screen companies, Bill is correct.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you get any response from anyone? I would like to learn from this post but didn't see any answer yet.
Unfortunately, I did not.

I have noticed that manufacturers have changed their specs on screens. For instance, Elite Screens now says that their material is usable from 0.1-0.6 throw ratios..... No change in the material that I can tell, just updating their specs.

There is a different material called T-prism from Samsev that loois interesting. Rollable and sizes above 120”. It has less ALR capability, but has a gain of 0.85. They have a decent description of the material characteristics on their page.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unfortunately, I did not.

I have noticed that manufacturers have changed their specs on screens. For instance, Elite Screens now says that their material is usable from 0.1-0.6 throw ratios..... No change in the material that I can tell, just updating their specs.

There is a different material called T-prism from Samsev that loois interesting. Rollable and sizes above 120”. It has less ALR capability, but has a gain of 0.85. They have a decent description of the material characteristics on their page.

Good to know that. The gain is higher than any of the existing ones I know. From what I understand, T-prism is essentially most UST ALR screen fabric, which absorb/reject the light from the top light source from the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts