AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RCA 490 and now I can only record about 10hrs of shows down from 35. The rep from ultimate tv told me to unplug unit which I have done and the system keeps erasing everything i try to record over 10 hours.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Long ago (before 3.5 and now 3.7) there was a drive space bug... If you are running a current OS this shouldn't be a problem.

Check by going to Home...Settings...System Test...More Info. you shoud have 3.5 or 3.7 client software... If not with UTV in standby press 5309 (short Jenny code) which will force a modem download of the "current" UTV OS.

If your OS is fine... double check your programs aren't "running" long or you have checked your settings... If you set up recordings to record only 2 shows before deleting then you'll never get more...

Check your History log for clues to why the UTV is deleting stuff.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found history log. It says my drive is 90% full, yet only have 10 hours of shows. I am at a complete loss. Any other thoughts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This has happened to me before and the culprit was a show that recorded and for some reason was taking up way more than it should. I only found it by deleting each show then checking the history to see when it jumped up. When I deleted a 1 hour recording it gave me back over 60%. I have only seen it once so this may or may not be your problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Recording and the space that recording takes could change for many reasons. The more action the show has the more space it will take, the more colour it has the mopre space it will take, if it has AC3 audio it will take more space. I beleive you will find that the comercials will also have an effect on the space a show takes, there are 15-20 minutes of comercials to a 1 hour show, and all the above goes to comercials also.

Also you might want to put the utv on channel 1020 then turn it off, this will alow the UTV's operating system to perform cleanup duties, its like your computer, with stuff getting recorded and erased allt he time the operating system can loose space on the hard drive, its like defragging your hard drive on your computer.

There is a thread on this somewhere here that I posted some info as I deleted shows.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you don't mind losing whats on your drive do a clear directory's code.. you will need to set everything back up again also.. you can search for the codes in this forum.. or ask utv/rca they should be able to help also.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I'd agree with Nomax... check you're recordings and delete all that you don't need. One of them might have "extended" it's recording...

On another thread we are talking about the "didn't record because of no power" error. Sometimes the UTV will continue recording a program long after it should have stopped. (Causing other programs to not record) The final recording (you might have to stop it yourself) might take up several times what it should, YET the "official" length of the program is still only it's scheduled time... (1 hr. program is actually 4 hours long)

Good Luck,

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been deleteing shows as I watch them and recording new ones. I currently now has 8 hours of space left. I have fast forworded through every show (don't want to delete it yet until i watch them though) and each appears to be the correct amount of time and my history shows that 70% of the space is full. Only two weeks ago my system would normally hold about 40 plus shows which was about 30 plus hours.

You go away for 1 weeks vacation and look what happens. I was going to do a full reset, but will I lose what is on the system. How do I do that?

Thanks again,

Lloyd

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lgroveman
I was going to do a full reset, but will I lose what is on the system. How do I do that?

Thanks again,

Lloyd
Yes you will lose everything you've recorded & will replace all your settings to default values.

Code 23552355.

Before you do that though I would continue to watch then delete recordings in My Shows & I suspect your recording time will return. If not, then run the code.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Another option is that the hard drive has a lot of bad blocks. A 120GB drives are $70 now after rebate, worth looking at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So does using the 5039 code to reset possibly get you 3.7? I did it a little while ago just to see... It said I needed an update, and immediately began downloading....

Will I lose what was recorded on the drive? (If I do, no biggie... there were several movies I had taped taking up space that I couldn't bring myself to delete... even though I currently don't really want to watch them)... That must be the danger of "too much space"... I know they don't effect my recordings.. and I do want to watch them someday... but not so much.. (one is Enemy at the Gate... sounds good, but you gotta be in the right mood for it)...

·
Registered
70 Posts
as of yet MartyBoy I still haven't heard of anyone getting 3.7 by modem from MS's servers...and yes if you do try to DL using modem you will lose everything on your drive and start clean with a newly DL'd OS...enemy at the gates is great, jude and ed do well together...but I understand, saving movies is addicting, even if you don't feel like watching them right away lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Using the Jenny code will not delete your recordings nor will it change any of your scheduled recordings, it just downloads the new operating system. So feel free to try it, worst case is you just reload 3.5 and waste 104 minutes of phone time!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

You can even cancel the download early if you decide you don't need it or don't want to tie up the line. Some settings may have been set to default but important functions still work... (You may even need to go though the UTV setup screens)

If you can watch or dump your UTV shows and do a 23552355 it may be the best way to "restore" your UTV.

Yet, deleting your shows and checking for a big % change may be a quick fix...

Good Luck,

·
Registered
53 Posts
after doing an upgrade on a HD, any way to verify how much space (hours wise) is left on the drive? or do you have to estimate by looking at the % of empty space? thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

You'll need to estimate using the % of space used vs hours recorded.

As a rough guide I usually take the 25hrs (approx from 40GB vs 35hrs advertised) and multiply by 3... 75 hours of recording time vs up to 105hrs advertised... (That isn't likely what anyone is getting but approx.)

The type of recordings I end up with typically show about 1% used per hour. Which should mean I get around 100 hours of use but it never seems to work out that nice. OS and Buffers must be taking up some room.

Good Luck,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.