AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to grab some good screen shots from various HD-DVD or Blu-ray movies off my HTPC. Unfortunately, while PowerDVD Ultra may have a Screenshot function it is apparently disabled in every HDM movie that I have tried. I even tried the normal Shift+Printscreen or Alt+Printscreen for Vista so I could drop it into Paint or something simple.. but apparently PowerDVD even disables that function during playback.

Can anyone recommend a simple little util that I can use to do screen grabs?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have installed and tried FRAPS as suggested in a sticky post at the top of the forum. Unfortunately, while it lists as being Vista friendly.. I cannot get it to actually grab any screenshots. I've got the hotkeys setup right, still no go with PowerDVD Ultra. Does it matter that FRAPS is running as Admin and PowerDVD Ultra is NOT?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really wish I could get this working somehow. Anyone have any tips on this front? I just cannot get FRAPS to work in Vista, and cannot find a better way to do screengrabs.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The way PDVD creates the image in HDDVD/Bluray mode mean no screenshot util will work. If you decrypt and play through standard directshow it'll work fine though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/12907184

The way PDVD creates the image in HDDVD/Bluray mode mean no screenshot util will work. If you decrypt and play through standard directshow it'll work fine though.

Yeah I am starting to figure that out the hard way. I downloaded and tried a util called WinSnap which boasts being able to grab a screenshot from "anything". Unfortunately it will not even screengrab from PowerDVD. It just grabs a black window screenshot, nothing else.

So.. does this mean that the only way I can get HDM Screenshots is to rip it to hard drive.. and decode it?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
No screenshot utility will work for anything that uses overlay (and powerDVD, Arcsoft both use overlay). The ONLY way to take screenshots from overlays is if the application itself provides it. PowerDVD has it disabled, but the Arcsoft player has a snapshot icon that take screenshots of the overlay. (I have a few posted in the Arcsoft thread).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/12907846

No screenshot utility will work for anything that uses overlay (and powerDVD, Arcsoft both use overlay). The ONLY way to take screenshots from overlays is if the application itself provides it. PowerDVD has it disabled, but the Arcsoft player has a snapshot icon that take screenshots of the overlay. (I have a few posted in the Arcsoft thread).

Yet another reason to switch to the ArcSoft player. Heh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts