AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Diyers !

I would like to introduice my speakers, Utopia Kaz, born on december 2011, from a combination of real acoustic processes, devoid of any esoteric audiophile, and a hybrid aesthetic
between Utopia and the monitoring line of Focal, with a luxury touch of leather and exotic wood.
One year of work was needed to achieve on a budget and contained dimensions. The choice of the Polyglass speakers range Focal emeritus, with a frequency response close to the straight line, was the basis essential to their achievement. The separation of cabinets is the key of the particular aesthetic, both muscular and elegant with the subtlety of a column, but also for its acoustic qualities, separating and isolating each speaker vibrations of others. The crates reinforced with solid wood glued with polyurethane seal gives an exemplary neutrality for the work of each speaker. Their orientation towards the listener is also involved in the final quality: precisely adjusted, it improves the impulse response and the accuracy of the sound stage. The choice of a different volume for each case and the filter in 3-way and half is not trivial: it is to obtain a natural and neutral restitution of all frequency ranges to restore the original message without sound coloration, without distortion or overexposure often encountered in the Hi-Fi world.
Given the small size of the boomer's cabinet (25L), the need of an electronic boost or the addition of a subwoofer to cover the first octave will be necessary.

Pictures now !

Overview:

3-1/2-way with a 21cm, a 18cm, a tweeter and 13cm from the bottom up:

Separated cabinets and oriented towards the listening point (removable):

Leather and solid exotic wood (Sapelli) Focal speakers:

Automotive lacquer range, base with optional spikes:

Gold-plated terminals and can bi-amp (separated filtering Low/medium-high)

View of the tilt wedge, 3 wedges of different thicknesses were necessary to adjust the tilt toward the listening point:

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
smart thinking and great cabinetry but
the obvious AH-HA! moment is
the "Not one angle fits all" limitation of a single tall cab or even the more flexible possibilities of a line array
so . . .
each speaker in its separate optimal cab
an exterior mounted XO for simplicity

do you plan to test and post charts of how this all enhances a more concise and inclusive vertical and horizontal dispersion wrt to the sound stage, not only at the MLP but across a row of seating
how about some polar charts showing the off axis response wrt to sound stage uniformity

you could be on to something . . .

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
^ wouldn't selling kits be dismissed to the classified? . . .:confused:

but charts would be :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I forgot to post some measurements, of course I will.
No I am not selling kits, it's just my personal cabinets. I share it with you just for fun.
It is too much work (350 hours) and we can't buy those Focal speakers anymore.

I'm making a new pair of cabinets at this moment based on a different concept, cabinets made specially for one of my customers, and maybe others if they are interested.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Measures close to loudspeakers when mounted in the cab and all on (filtered), crossover tuning:
(gains are not precisely accurate given the microphone positioning difficulties)

Simulation filtering:

Measure 1m windowed at 200Hz (avoid room reflections, similar anechoic response):

The right Speaker at the 3 different listening positions (1/6oct, no EQ):

1 - 13 of 13 Posts