AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know if this would be the best place to post this, but it's a start.

I'm looking to setup a surround sound system for the utv.

Here is what i would like to do.

1) keep the system inexpensive (*requirment)

2) have a fm reviever (*requirment from wife)

3) have a cd player (if possible)

4) take advantage of the dolby digital out on the utv(*a must)

Most the movies i watch are recorded from the utv, so it's not that important to have the dvd player unit, but the wife would like to listen to radio. Just looking to see if anyone could give some pointers that might save some money :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Makew sure whatever you get has enough inputs to accomidate you devices. Some don't offer digital audio connections for every video input, so make sure you have enough. You could probably get away with 3 video inputs (UTV, VCR - assuming you have one, and a possible future DVD player - best to plan ahead to avoid replacing the receiver too soon), though a fourth would give you growing room for, say, a game console or a video camera to be connected (front inputs would be best for those). Make sure at least 2 video inputs have S-Video connectors on them at least 2 digital audio inputs (UTV and that possible DVD). Make sure you are getting the right type of digital audio connector for your equipment. UTV uses a Toslink cable, while more and more DVD players are going toward Coaxial Digital Audio connectors. All A/V receivers will have a CD player audio-only input and most will receive both AM and FM signals - just make sure you connect the little wire antennas that come with the unit or you won't get a signal.

One tip: get a unit with a rotary volume knob on the front panel instead of pushbuttons - it's easier to find in the dark if the remote isn't handy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i agree with network, and gordon. i would add that even though many have built in dvd players if something should go wrong with amp or the tuner or the dvd player you are stuck with a unit that one or more componants is down. buy seperate componants. and as network said think towards upgrades. too many now would be better than not enough later. also a 6 channel input for future multi-channel decoder is a nice thing to have if you plan on using it with dvd audio or hdtv.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased an RCA sound system last summer when I bought my first UTV. It has a 600 watt amplifier/switcher with lots of video inputs, speakers and a separate DVD. It works great! The best part is that the UTV remote controls all of the units, except for some of the sound specific controls on the amplifier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice... i'm leaning towards the Panasonic SC-HT75. it's closer to what the wife will let me buy price wise :) one more question, how bad will it affect that particular system if you added 2 speakers to it? I was thinking of adding to speakers out on the lani? Would running those parallel with the main speakers work fine? or will it then be under powered? Thanks again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BoboCoder
Thanks for the advice... i'm leaning towards the Panasonic SC-HT75. it's closer to what the wife will let me buy price wise :) one more question, how bad will it affect that particular system if you added 2 speakers to it? I was thinking of adding to speakers out on the lani? Would running those parallel with the main speakers work fine? or will it then be under powered? Thanks again.
This isn't the forum to discuss it but there is more to adding 2 more speakers than just connecting them in parallel (which will work but could very well damage your receiver. Connecting in parallel changes the impendance load on the receiver). If it's just one more set, most receivers do have A/B speakers so you'll should be fine - otherwise you should look to invest in a speaker switch.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you do run those lanai speakers in parallel, you can connect them thru a impedance matching volume control which will keep you from damaging your amp and will also give you a way to control the volume from the lanai, assuming you put the control out there. www.smarthome.com has them, but I am sure there are some on ebay too. I think they are about $40 new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.