Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I have owned a DWD490RE for about a year and a half. Last week I came home from work and tryed to go into "My Shows" and it poped up with the page header:

"You're trying my shows" "With this free prewiew, you'll be able to watch the first 10 minutes of any show you record. If you sign up for Ultimate TV, you'll be able to watch the full recording and use all of the Ultimate TV features."

I called Direct Tv and they tryed a couple of tests and couldn't fix the problem. They directed me to the Tompson toll free number. The people i talked to there couldn't help me either. They said that I have 3.5 and that is the newest beta and that all of my system seems to be working fine. The man I spoke to directed me to this site saying that it holds a lot of information which may be helpful. I looked through everything. I tried leaving the system unplugged over night, and I have tried the re-boot codes 12357 & 32768. Nothing has seemed to help the problem.

Has anyone else had this same problem and/or does anyone have any ideas I can try before I give up and buy a new receiver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all of your help!!:D

·
Registered
524 Posts
What do you get when you do a self test.. Does it acknowledge the access card?

Try removing the access card for a few minutes and reinserting it.

Did you have ditectv hit your system to enable utv?

Do you have a p3 or p4 card?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes... if i do a system test it says everything is great. It says that it has a valid access card. I can watch tv just fine and am getting all the correct channels. When I called Directv they did a couple of things, having me change channels while they did testing from their end. They had me unplug the system, and I thought that they tried to resend the signal to my receiver. In the end, they told me that they couldn't fix it and to call Thompsons.

I have removed the access card and re-inserted it a couple of times.

I have the P3 card currently. DTV told me that they recently sent me out a P4 card, but I haven't received it yet. Do you think that changing the card will help?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The UTV functions are provided by a standard tier on the access card. DTV should be able to re-zap the tier back on the card from there. If not, you would need to activate it manually, but that's a whole other forum.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Put simply what Wumarkus said is what you need to do.

"Manually" setup your UTV!

I suspect Wumarkus ment it in a way that didn't involve DTV, but my method does...

If what you, DTV and RCA are saying is true (Your UTV's hardware is fine) then it might be easiest to simply have DTV take your UTV "out of service" and set it up from scratch. (Who knows DTV might have screwed up your account)

Not sure if having an "old" P3 (HU Card) will cause a problem, if so you might have to wait for the P4 to come along.

Have DTV take the UTV off your account and set it up again from scratch...

If your "My Shows" are still intact it should come back...

Make sure DTV Customer Service knows your just trying to get your receiver back up... have them make sure your billing doesn't get screwed up with deactivation fees and the like when your done...

It might also be best to unplug and pull your access card on the UTV for a while before calling so the UTV is in "fresh" condition...

Good Luck,

David T.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I experienced the same message a couple weeks ago - and I have the P4 card. DTV referred me to UTV who suggested I:

1. Remove / reinsert the access card. Didn't work.

2. Unplug the unit for 5 minutes, plug it back in. First the sound came up and eventually the rest of the system did.

Good luck, I hope this works for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for all your help and info!

I will try again to unplug the system for a while and see if that helps, otherwise I will wind up calling DTV again and see if they can take my system out of service and set it up again. I sure hope this helps.

Thanks again!!!

Barb G.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barbg23

I will try again to unplug the system for a while and see if that helps, otherwise I will wind up calling DTV again and see if they can take my system out of service and set it up again. I sure hope this helps.

Thanks again!!!

Barb G.

did your UTV work yet?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barbg23

Thanks again!!!

Barb G.

Is your UTV work?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lgodavid
Hi,

Put simply what Wumarkus said is what you need to do.

"Manually" setup your UTV!

I suspect Wumarkus ment it in a way that didn't involve DTV, but my method does...

If what you, DTV and RCA are saying is true (Your UTV's hardware is fine) then it might be easiest to simply have DTV take your UTV "out of service" and set it up from scratch. (Who knows DTV might have screwed up your account)

Not sure if having an "old" P3 (HU Card) will cause a problem, if so you might have to wait for the P4 to come along.

Have DTV take the UTV off your account and set it up again from scratch...

If your "My Shows" are still intact it should come back...

Make sure DTV Customer Service knows your just trying to get your receiver back up... have them make sure your billing doesn't get screwed up with deactivation fees and the like when your done...

It might also be best to unplug and pull your access card on the UTV for a while before calling so the UTV is in "fresh" condition...

Good Luck,

David T.

How do you manually setup UTV? Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

To "manually reset" your UTV... I ment that DTV would have to "remove" your UTV from service and then "reset" it up from scratch, as if it was new...

Since RCA/DTV seemed to think the UTV in question was OK... and the person seemed to want to retrieve the "MY SHOWS" content I suggested that DTV might have caused the problem...

There are various Codes you could try to "erase" and reload the UTV software... but that would cause lose of settings/shows...

The "Preview" UTV screen that was mentioned usually shows up when the UTV is "new" out of the box or after a software upgrade (?)... if for some reason the UTV's access card is expired or not updated, I suspect it could cause the same problem...

If the Hardware was OK, then it is either a UTV software issue which would require some Codes and the possible lose of settings OR DTV needs to update the access card...

Might I ask if your having the same problem, or are you just interested in how it turned out?

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just a quick "me too" -- this has happened to me twice. The first time it happened, I called DTV and they had me pull the access card and put it back in. That failed. Then they had me unplug power from the unit, plug it back in, and then they zapped it. That time it worked.

The second time it happened, DTV had me unplug the power, then plug it back in, and it worked with no zapping necessary. I only had it unplugged for about 15sec and it's working fine.

JS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.