AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to use UTV Caller ID with one of those devices that allow you to use your A/C wiring as phone wiring?

My UTV isn't near a phone jack and I was curious to know before I went out and bought one of those devices.

(I saw that it doesn't work with the wireless devices.)

Thanks

mgarner

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Maybe unrelated, but when I have the UTV caller id enabled and plugged into a phone line, my house alarm beeps every 15 sec. until I stop the flashing on my caller id box. Apparently, there is no adverse effect from the caller id built into my cordless phone.

A probably unrelated issue, since I first activated the UTV caller id is my incoming phone calls became sporadic and I have yet to get my phone company voice mail back since Monday. But the phone company is supposedly still working on these issues.

On the other hand, I've seen a post or two that claims that the UTV caller id works even with their wireless jack, despite the disclaimer to the contrary.

I said all that to make the point that depending on your setup, there may be unexpected consequences. On the other hand, it may work well with no problems.

All I can say is try it and see. And from my personal experience, you might want to have a cell phone handy, just in case. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
What do you mean "until I stop the flashing" in your reply "Maybe unrelated, but when I have the UTV caller id enabled and plugged into a phone line, my house alarm beeps every 15 sec. until I stop the flashing on my caller id box. Apparently, there is no adverse effect from the caller id built into my cordless phone. " ?

I know that if you use a wireless phone jack that all incoming calls will ring once and then automatically hang up.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Just what I said. When I have a new call, my house alarm starts beeping. When I stop the new call light from flashing on the caller id box, the house alarm stops beeping.

One wouldn't think there was any connection between a house alarm and a caller id box, but it has occured repeatedly over the last few days.

As for wireless jacks, I don't have one so I can't testify.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by restart88
Just what I said. When I have a new call, my house alarm starts beeping. When I stop the new call light from flashing on the caller id box, the house alarm stops beeping.
Gee, now you'll know the phone is ringing, even when you're in the shower - or down the street, for that matter. :D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
Gee, now you'll know the phone is ringing, even when you're in the shower - or down the street, for that matter. :D
Yea, I know!

I keep normally the ringers off on the phones. If the flashing of the new message light doesn't attract my attention, I figure I'm too busy to answer anyway and let the call go to voice mail.

Of course, I can choose one of two cheap solutions to this. Just don't use the UTV caller id, or else use a caller id box without a flashing light. Since I normally have the ringers off, I was really looking forward to the UTV caller id in the bedroom.

I would use selective call acceptance instead, but most of my incoming calls are from out of town. So I would not know I had a call until I checked the voice mail.

I guess this is making up for not having other UTV problems in the past. Gee, I thought I'd paid my dues with my buggy Dishplayer! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
How can UltimateTV be responsible for your alarm beeping if you can stop the beeping by extinguishing the "new call" flashing light on your third party caller id box?

By the way, what brand/model of alarm do you have?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
Now you have a buggy offspring of the Dishplayer. ;)
I was going to plead guilty, but if I swap out the caller id box, or shut off the autodialer on the alarm, or just unplug the phone line to the UTV, the problem is corrected instantly. So "bug" might be too strong of a term. Perhaps an issue?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wonder if it could be an issue with the alarm since swapping out either the third party caller id device or the UltimateTV caller ID stops the weird alarm behavior.

Besides signaling a break-in why does the alarm auto dial? Does it have a firmware upgrade feature that automatically phones the manufacturer in response to an incoming call stimulus? The alarm manufacturer might require the box to phone home to upgrade firmware rather than accepting a firmware download from an incoming call to prevent a hacker from force feeding it "broken bits".

Does the problem go away when all three devices are connected and you just turn off UltimateTV caller id?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If I unplug the phone line to UTV, the alarm doesn't sound on incoming calls.

Actually, it's not the full blown siren but just the door chime/ code entry confirmation sound. But it's still a nuisance and plenty loud.

The alarm dials out every now and then to check the line, if I remember right. You are supposed to put it through a diagnostic every 2 weeks and it also phones home then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.