Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents:

I hope you fine folks can give me some suggestions. I have two different UTV's with STRANGE problems.

First one I THOUGHT had a bad hard drive. I have others from other UTV's that I had replaced with larger drives. In each case, the UTV starts up, dials into get the 297 segments of the OS and then reboots. At that point it continuously just give me green light, yellow light and then red light.

Then reboots and cycyles again.

Any ideas??

On the second one, I don't even get a screeen that enables it to dial out. It's just a never ending light show.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Doc

(The original Doc which was the inventor of SOOT BEAM Technology)

I appriciate all the ideas and suggestions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I appreciate the response. Obviously I was hoping for something more technical from someone.

I probably only paid about $100.00 for each of these two. I certainly would NOT send them out for $130.00. In actuality, I have not had bad success with these units in the past. Most of the units in my home are Ultimates. Unfortunately, I may have to roll the dice and try buying another unit. These were originally bought on the CHEAP with EBAY.

So they lasted a while. I have no complaints. I love the damn ultimate. Too bad Microsoft abandoned the whole concept. It was revolutionary at the time.

Who is CCS Corporation?? And where are they located??

Thanks in advance

Doc

PS. Not a doc of the medical variety, though anyone that reads all.dss.hack knows me as Doc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just 'Doc' Not 'Doc Debug' nor anything else.

no its not a political newsgroup

more of a hackers group for Dish and Direct TV

Lots of useful info posted there way back in the day

Doc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the welcome. I gues that many times I've read the posts here without even realizing it. When one does a google search. many times we don't pay attention to where we are being sent.

There seems to be lots of good info here. I just hope that at some point I'll be able to get out the heart paddles and revive these babies. Otherwise, it's just back to EBAY and just get my hands on another one before they become too scarce. I think that $130.00 is too steep (at this point) for a repair although this certainly does NOT seem unfair at all.

Oh well....... back to the old drawing board

Doc

PS Oh all the political ******** and mudslinging. Wht a waste of bandwidth and space. Utter sheer ******** from both sides of the aisle. When history is being recalled 50 years ago, I wonder what they'll say about this election. I bert it will NOT be kind.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If I was in your situation, I would give the HD replacement another shot, especially on the unit that got 297 parts of the OS. Take out the drive that is stuck in the reboot loop and wipe it out with MHD3.exe. You can find the exe with google. After mhd3 is done zeroing out the drive, slap it back in the UTV and see what happens.

If the UTV still craps out after zeroing the HD, I'd head over to eBay. If you are patient, you can get a stock UTV for under $75. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have a feeling that you are probably right about the Ic being bad. I'm going to try the HD solution again, but with 3 different (potentially operational drives) being bad, I think it is more involved. I am pretty damn good at soldering, but I must admit I'd be apprehensive about soldering in a 14 pin unit without absolutely knowing it was the culprit.

Maybe just need to bite the bullet and get another unit on EBAY or get insurance on the unit and wait the required amount of time. Time will tell.

Thanks for the info

Doc

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It's been a while since I used it, but I know I added it to a win98 boot disk and ran it from there. I wasn't sure it was going to ask me which HD to wipe and I didn't want to kill my windows machine. I am pretty sure you can use any version of DOS. try bootdisk.com if you are using XP and don't have a win98 bootdisk available. Whatever machine you use to wipe the UTV disk, disconnect all other HD's before you connect the UTV drive, just to be safe.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 2104 chips are no 14 pinner's Doc... they have 48. You must be looking at the LNBP13... the 2104 (tuner chip) is under the "metal can".

For fun you could check that your LNBP is working by following the voltages in the schematic.... then the output pin should cycle between 13 and 18v while searching for the guide at start-up. I guess if you can't get the UTV to boot, the LNBP won't be cycling yet.

Once your fed up bounce them off the concrete.

If you can't find MHD3, you know where I am.

NLog did you get my PM?....haha, sorry for taking so long!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ya... I forgot about the "L" hahaha...

Hope we don't get booted now, if "he" knows what we are talking about.

Hmmmmm... my PM's are off?

I will have to fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.