AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a number of posts for the past couple of weeks and I have gone out and bought a WD120BB HD from Circuit City ( $179.99 - $20.00 store discount - $60.00 mail-in rebate = $99.99 ). I also bought a 80 mm fan from MicroCenter. I plan to install it in the left front corner . While I was there I saw a dual fan that mounts to and below the HD. My question is I don't think that you can have too much cooling but I am concerned that I may overload the power supply. Total additional draw should be less than 1/2 amp. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is going in to an RCA DWD490RE.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a difference between too much cooling and too many fans. You can create a situation when installing fans where the air doesn't circulate and thus you have accomplished nothing. Be sure to put the fans somewhere where they will accomplish something - the same is true for computers. When I first started building computers I thought it would be good to put 5 or 6 fans in, but all I got was a hot box that sounded like an airplane - so just don't go overboard, the UTV box doesn't have much space, so be careful.

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by be18driver
I have been reading a number of posts for the past couple of weeks and I have gone out and bought a WD120BB HD from Circuit City ( $179.99 - $20.00 store discount - $60.00 mail-in rebate = $99.99 ). I also bought a 80 mm fan from MicroCenter. I plan to install it in the left front corner . While I was there I saw a dual fan that mounts to and below the HD. My question is I don't think that you can have too much cooling but I am concerned that I may overload the power supply. Total additional draw should be less than 1/2 amp. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is going in to an RCA DWD490RE.

Thanks
Like mentioned above, you can have too many fans. In the case of a small box like the UTV, too many fans actually create turbulance that causes the air to swirl around, but not actually cool anything. Fans need a certain amount of "Real Estate" to cool properly. A couple of small fans (one for the hard drive and one for the tuners) probably would be okay, but the dual fan would probaly be too much (especially for one drive and the fact the tuners are really what need the most cooling).

In the opposite extreme, I have 6 fans in my computer. But, it's a full tower P4 system with 3 very large and fast AV Hard Drives, a CD-rom, CD-RW and DVD+R/RW drives. Each fan has a specific function:

2 case fans - one in front one in back. The back vacates air from the case, while the front draws in air and also blows air past the hard drives.

1 processor fan w/ heat sink

1 fan w/ heat sink for the processor on the graphics card

2 Fans in the 600W power supply.

In this case (no pun intended) the fans work well together and are proportional to the space and the equipment they are cooling. Also, because the case is a heavy-duty model, the sound is minimal from the fans.

The point is, look at what you are cooling, what needs cooling and don't overdo it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Read the keep tuners cool mod. post. in this forum.

Your box will always be warm no matter how many fans you put in!

The trick is to find whats really hot, and thats more then likely it's the tuners.

Follow that mod. install and maybe raise the box up an extra 1/2 inch or so

to circulate more air.

Good Luck with your Mod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.