AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud owner of an UTV with a puny 32 hrs. capabilities...so the plan is, if all goes well to upgrade to 120 Gig, real soon. So here is the question: I'm thinking of getting a DVD recorder and transferring my precious info on to DVD's before the upgrade...Any suggestions on DVD recorders? Any experience out there with this issue. ALL COMMENTS WELCOME!!!

Rudy

·
Registered
408 Posts
When Apex comes out with their DVD Recorder, we will see a price war on these units. Currently, a good DVD Recorder will be in the $450-800 range, but not for long.

Once Apex releases their model (most are thinking $299-350), we will see other manufacturers drop their prices significantly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Panasonic E-30 hooked up to my UTV and it works great. It is great for PPV movies $4.99 for a DVD ($3.99 for PPV and $1.00 for DVD).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenw
When Apex comes out with their DVD Recorder, we will see a price war on these units. Currently, a good DVD Recorder will be in the $450-800 range, but not for long.

Once Apex releases their model (most are thinking $299-350), we will see other manufacturers drop their prices significantly.
I'm looking forward to it. The choices are pretty slim right now. I was one of the early adopters and went with the Philllips 985. It worked well for six months, then stopped working. After getting it back from factory service, it's worked fine but I'm leery of it now. Several others on the DVDplusRW.org site had the same problem. I wouldn't recommend it. I'll just use it till it dies again then get something else. Hopefully, less expensive and better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the Panasonic HS2 (like an E30 but with an internal hard drive that allows you to store and edit out commercials, etc).

I transfer DTV shows all the time - in fact, I make money dubbing peoples tapes for them. HS2 has paid for itself.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Why use it for dvd? You probably don't get the dd5.1 and the PQ of Directv PPV is much lower then actual DVD... just buy the DVD of the movie for a few bucks more and get much better quality sound and video and extras!

·
Registered
17,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
Why use it for dvd? You probably don't get the dd5.1 and the PQ of Directv PPV is much lower then actual DVD... just buy the DVD of the movie for a few bucks more and get much better quality sound and video and extras!
Not everything you can record on UTV can be found on DVD. Some of my all-time favorite TV shows have yet to make it to disc. Also, store purchased DVDs cost quite a bit more than "a few bucks more" than recording your own.

As far as Special Features, some DVD distributers' idea of "Special Features" is Scene Access and film trailers. What's so "Special" about that? That should be standard fare on a DVD. That would be like calling "higher picture quality than VHS" a special feature. If it's not something produced just for the DVD release, it's not a special feature in my book. Say what you will about Disney, but they usually give you a whole extra disc of special features - for no more money than the folks who think being able to jump to a scene in the middle of the movie is some great thing.

Another thing, it's a good way to make a "travel" copy lof your favorite DVDs so there's less worry if you lose or damage it. I take my laptop (with DVD drive) with me whenever I travel. I prefer to choose my own in-flight movie and it's nice in the hotel room when nothing is worth watching on TV. I don't need a DD5 disc to use it in my computer.

What's more, DVD's take up less space than VHS tapes. If you use a CD binder, you can fit a whole season of a TV series in the space of one VHS tape - and they look better, too. The picture quality is better, they last longer and I can create custom menus (including my own Scene Access "Special Feature").

Finally, you can record DD5 - I don't know about the standalones, but some computer audio capture cards can capture 5.1 and with the right software you can generate a 5.1 DVD. It just takes up more space on the disc that could be used for better video quality.

Sure, the system isn't perfect yet, but neither were CD-R's when they first appeared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.