AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have used a Replay (Showstopper) for a little over a year, and I like the free service, but am interested in combining my pvr and DirectTv boxes into one. While the dual tuner is nice, it will be a pain to wire, but can be done. What else about the UTV would be of interest to a Replay user to warrant the investment? Looks like about $300 at RadioShack, and I saw something about a rebate for $100. All replies appreciated.

Regards,

Mike Tichon

·
Registered
327 Posts
I picked up a Sony a couple of weeks ago at Circuit City that was selling for $450 but there was a $100 mail-in Circuit City rebate, a $100 mail-in Sony rebate and MS has a $100 mail-in rebate if you buy a UTV and sign up for both UTV service ($9.95/mo) and DirecTV. The three rebates bring the grand total down to $150. Not bad I thought.

Again, this was a couple weeks ago so I am not sure if any of the rebates are still valid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The #1 feature I was after in going the UTV route vs. Replay (which I had for almost a year, and my wife loved) was to get pay-per-view listings again. We found we were making more and more trips to Blockbuster to rent movies beacuse we didn't really know what was on pay-per-view, and having to drop back to the DirectTV guide was just one more navigation hassle that neither of us wanted to deal with.

The #2 feature was a PVR with Dolby Digital capabilities so that I could take full advantage of #1 above.

The #3 feature was the dual-tuner.

After having played with my UTV for some time now, I must say that I'm quite happy and that it's only getting better ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the Replay guide does leave a lot to be desired.

That was what got me interested, aside from the dual tuners.

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
And how does it compare to the $99 Philips DirecTiVo at Circuit City? Both have PPV listings, Dolby sound, and dual tuners. I am comparing all models out there, the upcoming UTV features sound great but the current TiVo software seems to be #1. Would love feedback from a UTV user.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.