AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about upgrading the hard drive in my UTV unit, and the only brand that everyone seems to be using is the Western Digital. Well, I'd like to use the WD1200AB for heat reasons, but it is impossible to find around my way. I'd rather not use a 7200RPM drive, and was wondering if it were possible to use a different brand 120Gig drive, as I have read that the original UTV drive is supposedly a Seagate Drive. Would it be possible to use a 120Gig 5400RPM Seagate Drive, or maybe some other brand of 120Gig 5400RPM Drive? Also, is there a Gigabyte limit on what the UTV will recognize? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
ironballs,

IBM Deskstar (model?) is the only other one I recall seeing mentioned to work. Do a search here and you can find the details. I don't think there are any others that support the ATA security feature. I found a 5400 at my local CC, but it was the last one.

The OS recognizes up to 137gb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks OnnieCay. Yes, I did a search and saw that an IBM Deskstar Drive was used in a few instances. Has anyone tested other makes and models of drives in their UTV? Any more feedback would be appreciated. Also, If I do end up using a WD Drive, and I decide to switch to Tivo, is it possible to take that drive out of the UTV, and then put it into the Tivo? Or are there any other drives that seem to work with Both? Sorry so many ??????? but I just want to do this right, and also know what my options are. Thanx:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D Well, I guess I just could'nt wait! I went to a couple of Circuit Citys, and one of them had Six WD1200ABRTL hard drives for $129 and a $30 rebate! That'll make it a $99 120Gig hard drive when I send in the rebate. I just could'nt pass up that good of a deal! I'd still like to know if I could put it in a Tivo, or Dtivo if I decided to do a switch. Any more info appreciated. Thanx all for info on where to do the hard drive shopping. :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Have you checked yet to see if you got a "bonus upgrade" to the WD BB model (7200)? Many people have. And for the record, I have a 80GB Seagate in one of my UTV's -- the 7200 Baraccuda model.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TexasJames
Have you checked yet to see if you got a "bonus upgrade" to the WD BB model (7200)? Many people have. And for the record, I have a 80GB Seagate in one of my UTV's -- the 7200 Baraccuda model.
I had tried the 60G Barracuda in a Dishplayer, but couldn't get it to work out. But even with the receiver cover off, it seemed pretty hot.

I now use it in my PC and feel much better with a fan on it. Seems to respond quicker with a fan too. But I'm glad your 80G is working out.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ironballs

[B I'd still like to know if I could put it in a Tivo, or Dtivo if I decided to do a switch. Any more info appreciated. Thanx all for info on where to do the hard drive shopping. :D [/b]
You'd have to unlock and zero out the drive before preparing it to use in a TiVo, if it had first been used in a UTV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, right after I posted my excitement about finding the "Drive of all Drives" for the UTV, I opened the box and Lo & Behold, I see the piece of paper in the top telling me that, as an "Added Bonus", I have just received a higher performance hard drive at no extra cost! Wow! Thanks alot! The one time in life that I DON'T want something that is higher performance:( and what happens! Oh well, I guess I can't complain about a 120Gig 7200RPM drive for $99 :) I'll just have to figure out the best way to cool this thing off. Thanx all for helping me out with all of the info. It is much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.