AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My UTV unit had a tuner failure.

I have another RCA UTV unit that had old software on it. So I thought I would switch to this one.

I attempted a hdd upgrade on the unit. I wanted the new 3.7 software in any case.

I put a 100 GB seagate drive in it, it prompted to connect to msn and download it's new software. So far so good. Took a couple hours, finally declared it was finished.

It failed to boot or do anything else after this. The drive was clearly clicking after all this, and it could have had a problem, I don't know.

In any case, I put the original drive back, the one with the old UTV software, it now says on the screen that it needs repair, and I should call RCA/Thompson. All the lights on the front are blinking.

1. Why wouldn't the original drive work in this unit, it worked before?

2. I know there is some ATA security in use, is the PW the same on all units? Or is the pw randomly assigned and is that why this unit cannot recognize it's original drive?

3. If I plug it in with the original HDD connected all the lights blink, and it says nothing on the screen.

4. If I plug it in with the original HDD disconnected it prompts to call MSN to check for an upgrade and then declared it needs repair. The problem seems to be HDD related. But this is the original drive from this very unit.

5. Can I take the HDD from my other unit and put it in this one, hopefully without losing any of the shows? As you recall that unit has only one working tuner, whereas this one has two. That would be a good solution but I don't need three non working hdds here.

Any advice anyone can give will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
once the utv "married" to the new drive, the old one will no longer work. Yes, they use the security features of the hardware. Typically you cannot move hd's from one utv to another.

Sounds like your download may not have suceeded completely. At this point, you probably should try a download again. I forget how to force that, maybe someone else remembers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket /forum/post/0

once the utv "married" to the new drive, the old one will no longer work.

But the FAQ says:

Q: Can I reuse the old drive in a computer?

A: Yes, using the following steps:

* 1)After completing the hard drive upgrade procedure (found at one of the above links) turn off the UTV and unplug all the cables.

2)Remove the access card and open the case.

3)Reinstall the old drive and plug in the power and IDE cables.

4)Turn on the UTV.

5)About 5 minutes after the lights on the front of the unit start flashing, pull the IDE cable, but keep the power on and connected.

6)Allow at least an hour and a half for the drive to finish zeroing out. After this point, the drive will attempt to obtain a new password. However, the IDE cable is not connected, so the command will never be received by the UTV. No new password will be issued, the old drive remains unlocked and the new drive remains married to the UTV with all its settings intact.

7)FDISK and format the old drive in your computer to make it ready for use.
Which says to put the drive back in, and pull the IDE cable. I did that. Waited a couple hours.

It appears the old drive is not recognized by the UTV, maybe I should try that again.

After that procedure should the old drive then be "zeroed out" and recognized by the same UTV again, and able to download it's software?

Is the password used always the same? It is known?

Is there any way to unlock the drive, so I can redownload the UTV software?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Your original drive probably did work when you put it back in the unit. When "all the lights on the front are blinking" it is doing a reformat of the drive. After the reformat is done it will try to connect to MSN and get the software. But only if you have the IDE cable attached.

The FAQ you quote talks about unlocking a HDD for use in a PC. That would be step #2 in your process, using the 100GB Seagate. Not step #1 to reinstall and reuse the original HDD.

For step #1, install and connect (IDE cable) your orginal HDD. Let it do the reformat and get the software. If your box still won't function after that they there are other more serious hardware issues.

As Rocket said, when you "married" the new Seagate to the UTV you lost the connection to the original drive. And when you "remarry" the original HDD to the UTV you will divorce the Seagate. Only one drive can be "married" to the UTV at a time.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As for the "it now says on the screen that it needs repair, and I should call RCA/Thompson."

That usually indicates (when doing hard drive upgrades) that the Hard Drive's Jumper settings are wrong. (Master/Single mode is best) YET, you mention it is "blinking" so the reformat should be underway... I suppose there could be a "glitch" causing the "needs repair" error which means something other then change your jumper settings.

If you continue getting a "Repair" error... You might attempt to Unlock the drive and run some tests using a PC Hard Drive Test program...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/0

As for the "it now says on the screen that it needs repair, and I should call RCA/Thompson."

If you continue getting a "Repair" error... You might attempt to Unlock the drive and run some tests using a PC Hard Drive Test program...

What drive test program can unlock a password protected Seagate drive?

I didn't notice anyone answer my previous question. "Is the password always the same for all units? Is the password known? "

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJames /forum/post/0

Your original drive probably did work when you put it back in the unit. When "all the lights on the front are blinking" it is doing a reformat of the drive. After the reformat is done it will try to connect to MSN and get the software. But only if you have the IDE cable attached.

The FAQ you quote talks about unlocking a HDD for use in a PC. That would be step #2 in your process, using the 100GB Seagate. Not step #1 to reinstall and reuse the original HDD.

For step #1, install and connect (IDE cable) your orginal HDD. Let it do the reformat and get the software. If your box still won't function after that they there are other more serious hardware issues.

As Rocket said, when you "married" the new Seagate to the UTV you lost the connection to the original drive. And when you "remarry" the original HDD to the UTV you will divorce the Seagate. Only one drive can be "married" to the UTV at a time.

I put the locked drive that had failed upgrade back into an UTV unit, but unfortunately I don't know which unit I had originally tried to format this one on when it failed. I have several of them.

This morning, the lights all started blinking, and the unit tried to dial out to msn for it's upgrade.

I waited 5 minutes, noticed the front panel lights were no longer blinking. I pulled the hdd cable. It is sitting there, hopefully it is zeroing itself after which it will not be able to obtain a new password and I will be able to reformat it.

But what's with the lights no longer blinking? Is that normal?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 /forum/post/0

What drive test program can unlock a password protected Seagate drive?

This will zero and unlock the drive. It's not a drive test utility and you will lose everything on the drive.

h**p:// www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25827

Quote:
I didn't notice anyone answer my previous question. "Is the password always the same for all units? Is the password known? "

There are 2 passwords. The Master password is the same for all UTV drives and the User password is unique to each drive/receiver. The above utility knows the master password only.

BTW, a 120 gig drive takes about 2 hours to zero...

kazak

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak /forum/post/0

This will zero and unlock the drive. It's not a drive test utility and you will lose everything on the drive.

h**p:// www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25827

There are 2 passwords. The Master password is the same for all UTV drives and the User password is unique to each drive/receiver. The above utility knows the master password only.

BTW, a 120 gig drive takes about 2 hours to zero...

kazak

It worked, too.

Thanks. That was great.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 /forum/post/0

It worked, too.

Thanks. That was great.

kazak

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm unclear on if the flashing yellow/green/red means that the HD is being formatted or not after reading and re-reading this thread.

My scenario is similar....

I had a UTV, well call him Barney, that I'd upgraded to a 120Gig no problem. A tuner died, I put Barney's drive in another UTV, we'll call him Fred, that has two good tuners. It's been 30 minutes and Fred is still flashing and nothing is on the TV screen. Is the drive still locked to Barney? Will Fred finally format the drive? Do I need to do this "zeroing" process and then Fred will automatically see it as a new drive and download the OS? I realize I will lose everything, I'm ok with that. I don't want to try this cloning business--that looks too difficult to save a few programs that I'll likely never watch again.

I know I'm close, just don't have the answer fully.

BTW, this is a great forum! I've learned a ton just reading what's on here. This is excellent.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I don't exactly recall the flashing lights, but when you put a different drive into the new UTV, it will have to zero it out. It takes quite a while to zero 120 gigs.

For example, at 50megs/second, a very fast time, that's 20 seconds per gig. So, you are looking at minimum, 40 minutes to zero a 120 gig drive.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The flashing lights indicates formatting, let it sit for a couple of hours plus a little before aborting. Or you could pull the drive and use the unlocking tool. That takes a couple of hours too.

Let us know how it turns out...

kazak

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, that fixed it! Thanks guys!

I let it go until it stopped flashing, took it to the office (I only have VoIP at home) and hooked it to the fax line. It took almost a couple of hours to update and works great! It's wonderful having two tuners again. I'm going to cut a hole in the top and install an extra fan above the tuners tomorrow and add surge suppressors on both coax lines as well.

Oh, the best part--I used the 722 trick and it was working within 10 seconds after hooking it up. I like that a lot.

Hopefully this one will last a while. In the meantime, I've got an old unit and I'm considering having one of my buddies install the new chips. He works at a circuit board fab company and owes me a favor or two. I'm in no hurry, so it may be weeks to months before that's done, I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the 3" 12vdc fan installed directly over the tuners today. I'm exhausting out of the top as the other small fan draws air in so I have a push-pull through the receiver. The entire thing is staying room temperature now versus warm to the touch. I used a y adapter off the power for the HDD and went one to the HDD and one to the fan. It's only 0.075 amps and totally silent. This was a very easy mod and hopefully will keep the unit cool and from failing. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Nice. Best of luck with the mod.

I've been running a PC Slot Blower Fan suspended in the back UTV vent (no new holes) in my Sony UTV and it is staying significantly cooler then my other UTVs which are still "Stock" (not including the bottle caps increasing air flow below the UTVs).

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
I simply raised mine up an inch or so and removed the back of my media cabinet. It seems to be fine that way - and has been for several years now.

However, I would buy a small backup battery plug strip (UPS) to keep the unit from losing power. Power outages tend to be very harmful to these units. Even the smallest capacity strips will be fine for a UTV. You can find them at any office supply store or even Walmart for around $30 - $40.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That is a method of exchanging one utv to another without talking to a human by moving the access card between units and calling an extension. Since then, other techniques have been found to be easier:

It's essentially the same as refresh services on the internet under your dtv account (under update equipment, troubleshoot, refresh services).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.