Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Carbo:
The only thing I can add is that I have X-files episodes saved on the UTV. In the summer repeats, it recorded episodes I didn't have but didn't record episodes I did have.
Well this is promising. It appears that UTV can avoid recording repeats if it has the proper guide information ... much like Tivo I suppose. Unfortunately, this "proper guide information" is always hidden ... so it will always be a guess as to whether or not a particular show will be recorded as expected.

OAW

·
Registered
32 Posts
this is one of those "features" that bugs the crap outta me. pun intended. why can't it just record the show i asked it to record. why can't it give me the option to record others like it or in the series or not at all. i keep fighting with my UTV box when i want to record something cause it immeditaly tries to record the next airing, which i do not want. if i try to take it off the airing i do not want, it removes it from the one i just selected. god i hate it when software developers think they are doing you a favor by making choices for you instead of giving you the option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BrettStah mentioned that his Tivo records The O'Reilly Factor three times a day, even though it's the same show. I just wanted to mention that I happen to record that show every day with my UTV and it only record one airing per day. That show has one new episode per day which is aired three times. I used to record the 6:00 PM airing but later changed it to record the 1:00 AM airing so it would not interfere with other recordings. UTV happily records every episode without recording each airing of that episode.

As others have pointed out, the UTV is dependent on accurate guide data including the hidden fields with in the data. When the guide is correct, the UTV works like a champ. But it would be nice if the UTV could have a better way to deal with incorrect guide data. Maybe MS could write an AI to interpret the guide and figure out what it means rather than what it says. ;-)

-- James

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamescsmith:
BrettStah mentioned that his Tivo records The O'Reilly Factor three times a day, even though it's the same show. I just wanted to mention that I happen to record that show every day with my UTV and it only record one airing per day. That show has one new episode per day which is aired three times. I used to record the 6:00 PM airing but later changed it to record the 1:00 AM airing so it would not interfere with other recordings. UTV happily records every episode without recording each airing of that episode.

As others have pointed out, the UTV is dependent on accurate guide data including the hidden fields with in the data. When the guide is correct, the UTV works like a champ. But it would be nice if the UTV could have a better way to deal with incorrect guide data. Maybe MS could write an AI to interpret the guide and figure out what it means rather than what it says. ;-)

-- James
Well that is cool. Note I am using a stand-alone Tivo, so the data it receives is not identical to what the DirecTivo and UTV systems get.

Does UTV let you limit repeating shows by a defined time-frame, as well as record them whenever they air? That's one of the features I wish Tivo would implement.

When the regular prime-time shows start back up, the O'Reilly Factor will only wind up recording during the last airing, since I have it assigned a lower priority than my normal prime-time shows.

------------------

Brett

[This message has been edited by BrettStah (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah:

Does UTV let you limit repeating shows by a defined time-frame, as well as record them whenever they air? That's one of the features I wish Tivo would implement.
No, but they should. Any programmable VCR you have bought since 1987 can do this.

Quote:

When the regular prime-time shows start back up, the O'Reilly Factor will only wind up recording during the last airing, since I have it assigned a lower priority than my normal prime-time shows.
Ah-HA! TiVo allows you to assign priority levels to shows to record. UTV should too.

-Dylan.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just because UTV marks a show to record (weekly) doesn't absolutely mean it will be recorded.

In some cases it works great.. and not so in other cases. Again.. UTV is more dependent on APG key fields then perhaps TiVo which is text orientated (from what I have derived from threads posted in the TiVo forum on repeats, reruns, etc.)

Since the information screen doesn't display all the data in the APG .. it's impossible to make a determination.

With out the facts all we can do speculate.

Grem..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:
UTV's Record Each Time feature is based upon a particular show being broadcast on a particular channel in a particular time slot .. give or take an hour. Tivo's Season Pass is based upon a particular show being broadcast on any channel in any timeslot ... subject to a "new episodes only" flag. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approach. The issue with UTV is when a re-broadcast is shown on the same channel within an hour of the designated time slot. Apparently, if the guide data isn't correct ... UTV will record the re-broadcast.

OAW

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OAW:
Tivo's Season Pass is based upon a particular show being broadcast on any channel in any timeslot ... subject to a "new episodes only" flag.
Small correction... a Tivo Season Pass is limited to a particular channel. You are probably thinking of auto-record WishLists, which spans all channels. For a series on HBO, for instance, (like "Band of Brothers"), for instance, it could record one episode on one HBO, the next episode on another HBO channel, etc., based on when conflicting shows with different priorities are aired...

------------------

Brett

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:
Small correction... a Tivo Season Pass is limited to a particular channel. You are probably thinking of auto-record WishLists, which spans all channels. For a series on HBO, for instance, (like "Band of Brothers"), for instance, it could record one episode on one HBO, the next episode on another HBO channel, etc., based on when conflicting shows with different priorities are aired...

BrettStah,

Thanks for the heads up! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

OAW

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.