AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Says show was pre-empted by the broadcaster, when it was not, anyone else have this happen and know why?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just had this happen tonight. I was watching the playback of Law & Order while it was finishing the recording. A show that should have started recording during that same time on a different channel didn't record (fortunately it repeats on Sunday.) The History log shows 5 entries for the non-recorded show. 2 of the entries show Not Recorded while the other 3 show Disabled. All of the entries have the pre-empted message - which it wasn't.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I noticed that UPN changed the title of Enterprise to Star Trek: Enterprise, so that hosed a series record. Other than that, everything else recorded today as scheduled.

Did you click on any of the Not Recorded or Disabled messages? They usually tell you the name of the program that is replacing your pre-empted show. I'm curious what they said was being shown if your show wasn't really pre-empted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
FYI, TiVo was also hit by the Enterprise name change, but not for the obvious reason. I don't know how UTV handles it, but it turns out that the name itself is ignored by TiVo; it's a hidden show ID number that is used. Tribune, who provides the guide data, for some reason changed the ID when they changed the name.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, the name change will def do it i guess, but i have had it on the spiderman animated on mtv also. hopefully it is somthing that will clear up in the guide i suppose. must not be just the unit

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is very interesting about the "hidden show ID number."

I had an auto-record set up for Enterprise. With an auto-record I shouldn't have ANY trouble as far as I know. But I lost Wednesdays episode due to the name change. Then I deleted that auto-record and made a new one for Star Trek: Enterprise. That auto-record shows it will miss the Enterprise tonight but catch the same one on Sunday and then the one next Wednesday. Really strange.

This UTV has been so reliable it is frustrating to have to double check it to ensure I don't miss my favorites. Definitely a bug here.

·
Registered
17,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schorne
That is very interesting about the "hidden show ID number."

I had an auto-record set up for Enterprise. With an auto-record I shouldn't have ANY trouble as far as I know. But I lost Wednesdays episode due to the name change. Then I deleted that auto-record and made a new one for Star Trek: Enterprise. That auto-record shows it will miss the Enterprise tonight but catch the same one on Sunday and then the one next Wednesday. Really strange.

This UTV has been so reliable it is frustrating to have to double check it to ensure I don't miss my favorites. Definitely a bug here.
I did the same thing, but mine says it wants to record tonight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the 'pre-empted' thing happen to me lat week with ER - my wife nearly killed me (everything is my fault!) when she discovered it wasn't there. The message in history said it the show had been pre-empted by the broadcaster and that Coupling had been shown in it's place, which isn't true - Coupling was actually the show before. The only strange thing is tbat for some strange reason ER was scheduled to beging at 9:58 lat week (9:59 this week) I wonder if that could have haad something to do with it? Does anyone have a copy of last weeks show - or know where I can get one??????

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem with missing ER, but I firmly and squarely blame NBC for goofing around with the schedules. It's a miracle Friends gets recorded at all (until 8:36 or whatever)... which of courses makes me miss my 8:30 show (Jamie Kennedy Experiment).

NBCs complaint info is here: http://www.nbc.com/nbc/footer/Contact_Us.shtml

Somebody let me know if they replay that ER episode. I searched the guide and couldn't find it.

--Darren

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem. Setup to record Friends on NBC and Survivor on CBS... Wanted to record Jamie Kennedy but Friends was scheduled to end at 7:32 Central... Had to manually stop recording on Friends to make JKX record. Then ER didn't record at all while I was watching CSI. Didn't realize ER didn't record till the next day. Why is NBC doing this? Is it an attack on UTV and TIVO like devices, because we "skip" commercials? Or is it just general freakiness going on?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Its to prevent you from switchin from NBC to CBS. I had the ER bug happen to me too. I was recording CSI at 9, then Primetime Thursday at 10pm. I didnt even notice ER didn't record until Friday

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I got sick of dealing with all of this start time crap last year. I gave up on trying to record everything seperately. Now I just set a series record for friends and tack on 3 hours to the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.