AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding which PVR to put in my bedroom where I do most of my television watching.

Right now I have a UTV set up in there with dual tuner setup.

I have a TIVO setup which has dual tuner capability in another room which I don't use as often.

I'm thinking of switching and putting the TIVO in my bedroom.

What I don't like about UTV is the bug that doesn't let you setup a favorite channel list and 'surf' live tv only using these channels.

UTV does have some good points though.

Any feedback on what I should do?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, it is really up to you. I do not think I can help you much. Put the machine you like most in the room you watch TV the most.

"What I don't like about UTV is the bug that doesn't let you setup a favorite channel list and 'surf' live tv only using these channels."

I did not know Tivo had this feature. My cable TV has it, and I really miss it with UTV. Makes me lean a little more towards Tivo when I decide to upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UltimateTV supports channel lists. You go to settings an channels and down another level that I can't remember off the top of my head. Then you hit the guide button more that once to bring up the list that you want to see. I have my programable remote setup with a different button for each list. It hits the clear button first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
true,

however as soon as you go back to full screen it defaults back to the default guide.

makes absolutely no sense.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scrim67
true,

however as soon as you go back to full screen it defaults back to the default guide.

makes absolutely no sense.
Just hit the Back button once and it will take you back to the last guide you used.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My cable box lets me create a "temporary" channel list. I can add to the list, or delete the list at will.

For example, I can set the channel list to be CNN, MSNBC, and FNC so that I can quickly jump between these channels when a must see news event occurs.

There is a unique button on the remote that allows me to jump between the three channels.

Creating a custom guide, with these three channels, is not as good as the cable feature. Creating a custom guide is not the way to go. We need a new feature for a "favorites" list that does not change or rely on the guide settings.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevepvr
"What I don't like about UTV is the bug that doesn't let you setup a favorite channel list and 'surf' live tv only using these channels."

I did not know Tivo had this feature. My cable TV has it, and I really miss it with UTV. Makes me lean a little more towards Tivo when I decide to upgrade.
Hughes has it using their favorites list. I don't recall TiVo having it either. I think UTV intended to do something similar as Hughes but they screwed up and it's remained as is.. nothing will change now...

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you set Tivos live guide filter to list only favorite channels Tivo will also limit it's channel surfing to those channels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.