Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ...

I'm a long-time lurker and reader of the forums here, and have always found a wealth of information here.

I'm moving to a new condo, and I'm considering making the switch from DirecTV/UTV to cable and Replay. The main reason is for broadband access .... I've been without broadband for too long, and DSL isn't available in my area. So a cable modem is the only choice. (No, I'm not going to pay for cable AND satellite.)

However, I dumped $399 into a UTV last year (the trials of being an early-adopter) and I've got to tell you I'm VERY spoiled on the service. Picture-perfect video quality for ALL recordings, dual tuners so that I get every single show that I want, and with the latest 3.5 upgrade, the interface is really quite nice and well-featured.

So, I'm left with a dilemma. Stick with what I've got, or flush the entire UTV/DirecTV combination down the toilet and go with an entirely new Replay/Digital Cable setup.

Anything I should consider before making this plunge? The replay is no small investment. Here's my thoughts:

Advantages of going Replay/Digital Cable:

- No monthly fee (is this true? I've read the FAQ and Replay's website, but I can't quite be sure what the deal is ... I know the units are expensive, is it true there is no fee after you've bought the box?)

- I can get a cable modem.

- All the 4000 series features about multi-room sharing and broadband sharing seem pretty cool to me.

- No hassles of getting the satellite remounted at the new place. Just call the cable guy.

- Replay continuing to create new products (UTV has basically been killed by MS)

- I'm a home networking freak, so some of this advanced functionality sounds pretty cool.

- MyReplayTV (Microsoft never got around to launching this feature)

Disadvantages of flushing the UTV/Satellite:

- Can't even eBay the rig ... it's just not worth it.

- Losing my dual tuners ... let me tell ya, there's nothing better than catching EVERY Thursday-night show!

- Losing the superior recording time/picture quality capabilities of directly recording the compressed satellite signal...

Any thoughts/insights? Anyone here go from UTV to Replay?? Should I go with a 4000, or a 4500? Is it true that the 4000 REQUIRES broadband access?

Hoping you all can help a brother out ...

-Doug

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You basically have the tradeoffs right.

There's no monthly fee with the 4000 series. There is for the still-mythical 4500 series, but presumably with a lower up-front cost to offset that, and hopefully with the choice of buying lifetime service at or near the price difference.

The 4000 doesn't really require broadband access; what it requires is an internet connection over its ethernet port whenever it goes and tries to use it -- that can be ethernet to a demand-dialed or always-connected modem if you really need it to be.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well the SB products are really cool and on the cutting edge of SA PVR evolution.

However, if you are happy now, it's difficult to justify ditching everything. Might be easier to just get a DSS Dish up somehow? I suppose it may depend on the quality of the analog cable. They may require basic cable service with your broadband (or charge more) so might as well be able to record it somehow (as in SA PVR). I got away from D* just because of PQ issues. It was a hard step to take but I don't regret it a bit and I find my analog cable often looks better than D* or E*, of course YMMV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.