AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start ranting, let me say that I am a computer programmer by profession, and I think that the whole UTV OS could have been better delivered by a bunch of high school interns.

This software is so bug ridden that it's not even funny. The scope of functionality is not that complicated, the number of bugs is completely unacceptable. It makes me wonder if any of the development team actually has a unit at home that they use even casually. If they do, how come they don't see these problems and fix them? How many times have you had something not record that should have? How many times have you had the same show recording inexplicably on both tuners? How many times have you had recordings deleted early? How many times have you tried to pause only to get the message "No pause time left" (Still don't know what the heck that means or how it is possible). I've had more bizzare things happen than I can even recall. On occasion I go to play a recording and the system freezes up on the last frame from the last recording I viewed. I could go on for hours describing all the weird stuff, but I'll spare you since I'm sure you've seen if for yourself.

The speed of the UI is a complete joke. The processor that is in the thing is more than adequate for the task. Maybe if I was recording on both tuners, I would expect to see some degradation in the UI performance. But it is always unacceptably slow. I press the guide button, and it take 4 friggin seconds to pull up the guide. It shouldn't be hard to keep 7 channels, 2hours cached and ready to display at all times. There isn't that much information. And I know that one of you is going to claim that the delay is a feature and that you like it, Give it a rest.

I've had problems recording "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for weeks. This week was no exception. This time, I specifically checked 15 minutes before the program start time, looked at the guide saw the little red dot and was happy expecting it to record. 15 minutes into the show, I go to "My Shows" to start watching it. It isn't recording, and the dot is now gone from the guide. WTF?

I'm paying an extra $10 a month for this BS?

If they don't improve their system, they are going to get squashed like a bug by Tivo, and we're all going to be stuck with the PVR equivalent of a Betamax VCR. Get your act together Microsoft.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
While some of your concerns regarding the unit may be valid, you attitude is not.

I figure you've got two options: Return the unit you bought for a refund within the 30 day period, or deliver a PVR that works better.

This forum is for constructive comments and for helping people who ask questions. There's no room for people who use the phrase "should be lined up and shot".

·
Registered
342 Posts
"UTV programmers and testers should be lined up and shot." Ya... uh... I'm gonna disagree here... and I'm thinking this was not the best way to lead off your thread

"How many times have you had something not record that should have?" Maybe one time, I cannot remember why... s*** happens

"How many times have you had the same show recording inexplicably on both tuners?" Never, nor have I ever heard of this happening by anyone else on this board

"How many times have you had recordings deleted early?" A few, I would imagine that is a network start/stop time problem... UTV records, for example 9-10, it can't sense the network is early or late... blame the networks

"How many times have you tried to pause only to get the message "No pause time left"" Never, but you are aware that if your hard drive is filled up, your pause time will be limited to 20 or 30 minutes and if you got the free space, UTV will use it (unlike our emmy winner lil friend which is always 30 min)

"I've had more bizzare things happen than I can even recall. On occasion I go to play a recording and the system freezes up on the last frame from the last recording I viewed. I could go on for hours describing all the weird stuff, but I'll spare you since I'm sure you've seen if for yourself." Sounds like you got a bad unit, mine has worked nearly flawlessy since March and have been more than satisfied. I'd say return yours for a Tivo

"The speed of the UI is a complete joke." Well, you have a point here... UTV ain't the speediest little sucker I've seen but is more than doable IMO

"If they don't improve their system, they are going to get squashed like a bug by Tivo, and we're all going to be stuck with the PVR equivalent of a Betamax VCR. " Tivo's feature set is way ahead of UTVS, granted... but they have been far from bug free over the past three years and have had a 2 year head start... smells a little like a Tivo fan speading a lil UTV FUD

"Get your act together Microsoft." You tell em! ;)

just my 2 cents,

riz

·
Registered
292 Posts
"UTV programmers and testers should be lined up and shot." TOTALLY REPREHENSIBLE AND INAPPROPRIATE

How many times have you had something not record that should have? NEVER

How many times have you had the same show recording inexplicably on both tuners? NEVER

How many times have you had recordings deleted early? NEVER

How many times have you tried to pause only to get the message "No pause time left". NEVER

On occasion I go to play a recording and the system freezes up on the last frame from the last recording I viewed. NEVER

The speed of the UI is a complete joke. Agree it should be faster (mine is 5-6 seconds)

Agree with previous reply - you must have a bad unit - we absolutely LOVE this product!!!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Don't feed the troll, guys... and the thread should really be closed/renamed due to its subject alone...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, sorry about the original thread subject, I meant it jokingly, but clearly it didn't come across that way. My profuse apologies. I enjoy the freedom that UTV gives me and it has definitely changed my viewing habits. I generally rave about UTV, and have been responsible for several friends buying units. I am just getting increasingly frustrated by what I perceive to be software bugs.

Maybe I have higher expectations than the rest of you, or maybe I use the unit more and am seeing stuff you aren't. I don't know. 99% of the time it works the way it is supposed to and I guess that's good enough for most of you. But let's face it, if my car or toaster only worked correctly 99% of the time, I wouldn't be happy with them either. I've never even seen Tivo, so I don't know if it is any better.

I spend most of my days fixing other programmers poorly written code, and I don't suffer it well. I get really upset when people in my industry do sub-standard (IMHO) work. If surgeons, pilots, or engineers screwed up as often as my colleagues . . . well, it would be bad. There really ought to be some sort of licensing. And now that I am totally off the subject, I'll give it up.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kws

There really ought to be some sort of licensing. And now that I am totally off the subject, I'll give it up.
Yes off the subject, but right down into the gutter.

There ought to be a law!!! DON'T anybody know what that would do to the technology?

Consider this. The FCC licensed broadcasters and controled TV for, what 30-50 years, and all we got was ONE update!! HDTV, and it ain't even hardly out yet!

The idea was that BIG BROTHER decided that it was more important to every human in this country that their TV would NOT become obsolete. So, what did they do? They prohibited any inovation that was not completely compatible.

Now look at computers. Every 2 years they get twice as fast, and the price drops. NO license, no FEDRAL SOFTWARE ADMINISTRATION.

If we had a FSA, then windows, or mac or whatever would never be allowed to inovate, it would be illegal to create shareware, all software would have to prove efficacy and be compatible with all trs-80 computers. Like the FDA, you'd have to hire a ton of lawyers and bookkeepers to sell a $10 piece of software.

After all, computers control everything don't they. If they make an error, they might cause death (in a hospital for example). If y2k had surfaced, the feds would have gone nuts on us.

Think I'm joking? I'll bet you that within 3 years the ADA law will require software to please blind and deaf people. MS has some of this technology in their code. If you let the feds get involved, it will be considered discrimination if you don't have brail on your mouse. (like the brail requirements at drive-in automatic teller machines)

I for one, say if you don't like the new systems, then just say NO to the salesdummy.

Please, don't let those mafia protection racket guys (the feds) stick their nose into this new technology. AND UTV is really just a computer, hard drive and some O.S. Tivo is Linux.

I for one think that a box like this for, what, under $200 now? is worth it no matter how many bugs it has. I have seen a few, yes, but I have seen almost no commercials and even less fed propoganda because of the 30 sec skip feature. I am betting that the advertisers will go to the feds next to get that feature made illegal.

See what you could start!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kws
I generally rave about UTV, and have been responsible for several friends buying units. I am just getting increasingly frustrated by what I perceive to be software bugs.

I just bought a UTV, and agonized for some time over the Tivo/UTV choice. Finally bought a UTV for no real good reason, other than the perhaps flawed logic that the Tivo dual tuner release was brand new and probably buggier than UTV's.

That being said, threads like this and others here have me angsting that I've made a mistake. In the final analysis, would you still recommend the UTV? What made you choose the UTV over Tivo in the first place?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's like anything else. If what you bought (UTV in this case) does what you expect it to do (record TV programs) to your satisfaction then you got a good product. If you get upset because of minor falws/annoyances (like have to reselect MY SHOWS after erasing a show from MY SHOWS) then you are probably the type that moans and groans everytime the wind blows from the wrong direction. There is no perfect PVR. There is no perfect operating system. There is no perfect home theater. Everything is subjective and if you've already committed to UTV then enjoy it. I refuse to have TIVO envy, I enjoy my UTV.

I wonder, do you agonize over which satellite service you bought? Isn't Dish a little tempting right now with their $9.99 promotion?

Keith

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KeithS
I wonder, do you agonize over which satellite service you bought? Isn't Dish a little tempting right now with their $9.99 promotion?

Keith

? What's your problem? If you are getting annoyed at folks complaining about bugs, shouldn't you direct your acerbic comments at those people? I wouldn't guess anyone is forcing you to read these threads...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KeithS
Isn't Dish a little tempting right now with their $9.99 promotion?

Keith
Tempting, yes. But remember...you get what you pay for. I tryed a 501 and Dish out...and all I can say is....arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! avoid it like anthrax!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
? What's your problem? If you are getting annoyed at folks complaining about bugs, shouldn't you direct your acerbic comments at those people? I wouldn't guess anyone is forcing you to read these threads...
And I guess someone is forcing you to read my opinion and respond to it?

Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.