AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a UTV receiver but have some concerns about the longevity of this service being provided by Microsoft. I don't want to invest the money in a receiver only to have the service no longer available in the next year. If that happens, can I still use the UTV receiver as a standard DirectTV receiver? I realize all the PVR functions go sway, but can it at least serve as a receiver so I do not have to buy another one?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, you can use your UTV receiver just like any other regular DTV set top box. You could do so now if you wanted. You don't have to pay the extra 9.95 per month for the UTV service. Your system would then work pretty much like a standard DTV receiver. You could still pause Live TV for a few minutes but thats about it.

foghorn

·
Registered
151 Posts
The UltimateTV service will be provided for many years to come. They have "officially" said so many times. After investing so much in developing UltimateTV why would they stop the subscription service? It is the only way for them to recoup their investment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would hope that if they ever stop the service, the only thing we would lose is the 12 day guide. I'd hope they'd leave all of our features on and we would still be able to search through the standard 2 days worth of guide.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Hate to break this to the masses but it is not possible to (legitimately) activate a UTV without also activating the UTV service. I tried activating my UTV on-line and it worked for about two minutes before I got an "Insert valid access card" message. The correct tiers on the access card must be activated for the UTV receivers and PVR features to work. The only other option would be to hack the access card (you didn't hear this from me) but that is a discussion for the DSS hackers forums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.