AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum, but I couldn't find the information.

One of my UTVs suddenly started rebooting constantly. I vaguely remember (from reading this forum) that such symptom is indicative of some particular problem.

It boots, all three LEDs flash, and then it reboots, and then it all repeats. If I unplug it for several hours - it works normally for a little while and then the reboot cycle starts again.

I know I've read about this problem on this forum. Does anyone remember anything about it? Is it likely a mainboard problem, or a HDD problem? The hard drive is a WD 160gb and is about 8 months old.

The drive contains some content that I want to save, so I've decided to image the entire drive while this UTV is still able to unlock it. The UTV drive is connected to my computer right now while winhex is copying it off to another drive. The drive has been running for several hours while connected to my computer, and it seems to be holding up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A drive swap fixed that problem for me about a year ago. I see your drive is only 8 months old, but it still could be the culprit. If your like me, your UTV never gets shut off so the drive is constantly working 24/7 buffering video.

You can check your coax runs and make sure they have not been damaged. They carry 12 & 18 volts I believe. Make sure their not going to ground somehow and causing the UTV to pitch a fit about it. Try unplugging one tuner run, wait a bit and see what happens. Then try the other tuner run. Swap runs to tuners. Check again.

Is your UTV in a well ventilated area? Heat causes all sorts of troubles. Try setting the UTV up outside of an entertainment cabinet if possible.

By pass your multi-switch to be sure it's not on its way out. Is it powered? If so make sure a mouse or something hasn't chewed the ac power run to the switch.

Maybe pop the cover & check the power supply voltage with a meter to be sure it stays constant. I've never had a UTV power supply go bad, but when they fail in a computer they cause the same problem your having.

Just some ideas that come to mind. I'm sure others will add to the list. This forum has been a ghost town lately, but check back often and keep us posted.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the 160gb drive from the troubled UTV and put it in another UTV, and it works fine.

I also put a different drive in the troubled UTV and it still reboots. So, I think that I have ruled out the drive. I'm going to try another power supply, and also look over the entire motherboard under magnification - but I suspect that I won't be able to fix it.

I'm down to just 2 working UTVs now. I suspect that the ride is almost over.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Since you have "parts" to work with... replacement of the power supply might be a viable "fix". But first some questions/troubleshooting...

I was going to suggest you test the UTV without the Hard Drive installed... Others have had reboot/no video/green light of death issues which by pulling data/power cables seemed to narrow it to the drive,power,ide cable(s).

So if no drive "works" then you can narrow it to power/data cables (since a "good" drive is still giving issues).

If you can power your UTV Drive via external power (PC Power Supply) that might be the best way to verify a bad Molex power cable (or UTV Power Supply issue). If you have a spare IDE Cable swapping that out and/or checking the contacts would be good...

Keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts