AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I was given John's DVR repair as another option to repair one of failing tuners in my UTV. I contacted John and was quoted a fair price but held tight due my wife's frustration with the unit. Things have quieted down and am ready to have it repaired. I sent a follow up email to John and haven't heard back. Anyone on the forum in contact with John? I did notice in his return email he had both a Yahoo and a BlueMarble ISP account. I only sent a follow up to the Yahoo.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems I have Yahoo, BlueMarble and "johnsdvrrepair.com". I sent a follow up to all three. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you hear back... let us know the current rate is for tuner repair. For One and Two Tuners.

Sony still offers a $84 Flat Rate to repair a SATW60 UTV. (Just one or both tuners? Not sure.)

CCS still has $130 for both tuners on Sony or RCA UTVs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is John's email he sent back to me on Oct 13,2008 regarding cost:

I do not stock drives. First I make sure I can repair the tuner (almost always), then I upgrade the drive. Repair $50 plus parts (less then $5 per tuner) and shipping both ways (you pay for all shipping). Drives are $125 for a 80G (aprox. 70 hours) or $150 for a 160G (aprox. 110 hours). Turn around time is aprox. 2 weeks.

Thanks,

John

Sounds promising, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds about right. My work has a UPS shipping station, so I can ship at cost. I was guessing it at $15, but the return trip home might be more (hmm, maybe I pre-pay pre-print the return trip too "?"). I still have the original UTV box and foam inserts for shipping.

Having not heard back yet from John, this might be moot.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. John contacted me:
Sorry for the delay.

As I stated before I do this in my spare time.

I'll have to get back with you on when I can do it.

It maybe a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

John

I think for a backup unit that might need a tuner replaced and time isn't a crunch, John looks like a possible option.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Has John been in contact with you again?

Based on the original e-mail you posted on 2-11-09 John's turn around is about 2 weeks... So if you had contacted him and sent him your UTV for repairs and he'd been able to get to it, you'd probably get it back around now or a week or so.

Just be sure to get your UTV insured/tracked/verified received, etc. and some "firm" repair date when John is able to get to it. $100 isn't bad round trip, if he does good work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts