AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having owned three RCA UTV's for the last couple of years or so, I have read a lot about people who have had a one of the tuners (either tuner1 or tuner2) go out on them. Not really sure I remember for what reasons, cuz I haven't had this problem (knock on wood). But I just purchased an active multiswitch by millinuim SAT-A98, I thought that it came with an adaptor so that the MS would not get it's power from the UTV's but now I've found out that it is powered by the recievers. Could this drain of power cause one of my UTV's tuners to burn out? The unit does have a plug for an adaptor but, I have heard different stories that the adaptor is only used for UHF/VHF reception, that it is used as an external power source for the MS and lastly that there really is not a plug in the MS its self for an adaptor!

Can the active MS without using an external power adaptor burn out one of my tuners?

Thanks in advance.

PS what is the major cause for one of the UTV's turners to go out?

·
Registered
354 Posts
It may be doubtful to some but experience indicates that active multiswitches have definitely hurt some UTV tuners.

Used an RCA 3x4 multiswitch uneventfully for several months. Worked perfectly just made loud click every time transponder changed.

Switched to 3x8 ird-powered switch. Lost a tuner in less than a week.

Switched to Spaun powered 3x8 switch-- no further problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finnally got the info on the adaptor requirments for the multiswitch that I ordered.

18v

300mA

Positive tip

The closest that I can find to this is one from RadioShack but it's rated at

18v/24v switchable

1000mA

Would this work with my Multiswitch. Or is the 1000mA too much,(I always thought that this is just the amount of current that the adaptor is capable of letting the unit draw)

·
Registered
17,807 Posts
If there are no further problems using the new switch, then the old one didn't hurt your tuners. It may simply be UTVs down't work well with IRD poered switches. No matter what type of receiver, if you can use a powered MS, you're usually better off. In addition to not relying on IRD power, they are often amplified, so you avoid tuner issues caused by poor signal quality.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
If there are no further problems using the new switch, then the old one didn't hurt your tuners.
This statement is illogical. Please explain your thinking.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Switched to 3x8 ird-powered switch. Lost a tuner in less than a week.

Switched to Spaun powered 3x8 switch-- no further problems. [/b]

Same thing happened to me. I switched to a Spaun powered 3x8 switch also. No problems since.

Scott.

·
Registered
17,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by watching
This statement is illogical. Please explain your thinking.
If your tuners had been hurt by the other multiswitch, they would still be malfunctioning with the new multiswitch. Whatever the problems you were having were with the multiswitch, not your tuners.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My tuner failure was not solved by the Spaun. I had to send it to Thomson for a replacement. Since installing the Spaun I have had 2 "tuners changed" and that was in a severe thunderstorm. Pixel problem is completely solved with the addition of my Spaun. Before I had lots of pixel problems.

Scott.

·
Registered
17,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 01-0800
My tuner failure was not solved by the Spaun. I had to send it to Thomson for a replacement. Since installing the Spaun I have had 2 "tuners changed" and that was in a severe thunderstorm. Pixel problem is completely solved with the addition of my Spaun. Before I had lots of pixel problems.

Scott.
Ah. you didn't say that. You only said that you haven't had any problems since switching to the new multiswitch.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
If your tuners had been hurt by the other multiswitch, they would still be malfunctioning with the new multiswitch. Whatever the problems you were having were with the multiswitch, not your tuners.
Oh my tuner was definitely hurt by the other multiswitch. Mortally wounded in fact! It has never come back.

By "no further problems" I meant no more tuners have been killed.:mad:

·
Registered
311 Posts
All though I can't prove it... I would say my two toasted tuners on two different UTV's were from my "IRD powered" multiswitch.

Since I have gone direct to the dual LNB I have had 0 problems.

My opinion.... DON'T USE THEM (ird powered)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like the title says, I'm now very skeptical of the multiswitch that I have purchased via internet. I bought it because although in the description of the unit it said nothing about it being powered by IRD or external adapter. I assumed by the fact that the picture of the thing clearly shows a DC input(obviously to plug an AC to DC adapter) thus making it powered by something besides the IRD. Also the same site showed that they also sold an adapter for a 3x8 mulitiswitch. I figured one reason that the MS was so much cheaper at this site was cause it didn't come with an adapter, but then again maybe it did. So figured that if it came with one I was ok, if not I'd make a trip to RadioShack. Well not only did the MS not come with an adapter it also did not come with any literature. I emailed the company that puts its' name on it "millennium" and this was my response.

"The SAT-A98 does not require an external power adapter. It uses receiver power. The factory where it is manufactured uses that particular metal case for other items which do use a power supply. If you have any cable runs that are longer than 150 feet, you can try plugging in a power supply. The specifications are 18V 300mA, Center tip is Positive on the male adapter.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Millennium Enterprises "

Kind of gave me mixed feelings. And really didn't answer me very well. See what you guys can make of it and what you all suggest.

I preach this everyday to my managers and other employees "Always remind the customer that the BEST price is not necessarily the LOWEST price" And here I've proved it to myself I would have been better off paying $150 for the 5x8 terk that they have at Circuit City. At least I would not have to worry about frying my UTV's or having to return this thing to the site I bought it on. And I would know what I was buying as well.

Please help guys, what to do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think IRD powered switches are a bad choice for any installation. The spec for a typical LNB is to draw 300-500ma, however more will be drawn over long cable runs to compensate for the loss. So, just the LNB alone can draw up to 700-800ma, if the cable run is over 100ft, which is often the case.

The few IRD schematics I have seen, often have 1a regulators, although I have seen 2a or 5a in some designs. When you add a IRD powered switch, the switch is designed to draw a fraction of the power from each connected IRD - so if the switch needs 800ma to operate, and four IRDs are connected, it will draw 200ma from each - supposedly within spec but defintely will cause more draw (AND HEAT) on the IRD regulator.

Now, if you use a self powered switch, the switch powers the LNB too! So, no more 700-800ma draw from the IRD to power the LNB, and no draw at all to power the switch. So, the draw on the IRD when using a self-powered switch can be as little as 100ma on the IRD, which means much less heat - which UTV particularly likes!

To sum up,

IRD powered = bad

self powered = good

buttplug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.