AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my UTV software. But I don't want to be stuck with a P4 card. Is there a way to upgrade and still use a HU card?:confused:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Glove,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your UTV. This forum is a great place for info. on keeping your UTV in great shape and get the most out of it.

If you're going to be keeping your UTV, you will someday need to be upgraded to a new access card. The HU cards will be phased out eventually AND UTV software will upgraded... (if only for "Service updating"). At the moment that means "Out with the old... In with the New".

DirecTV will send you a new Access Card to swap out when the time comes... If they forget about you then you'll want to call if your service is every disrupted...

Later,

·
Registered
148 Posts
It has been reported by many different sources that the new UTV software update, possibly due any day now, will absolutely require a P4 card. If past updates are any indication, the new software will be loaded automatically and will not be optional (if you plug your UTV in at all, you'll get it eventually). Therefore I think it's a good idea for you (and anyone else that doesn't yet have a P4) to call DTV and get one right away to avoid an interruption in your service.

Clip

·
Registered
148 Posts
OK, so I just called DTV and they told me something new: everyone will be upgraded to 3.7 by June. (Why would it take so long?) So you definitely want to get you P4 right now because your unit could get 3.7 at any time.

Clip

·
Registered
719 Posts
If I recall, wasn't there some sort of problem that surfaced after the 3.5 upgrade that caused a lot of trouble? Maybe they are just being very careful this time and are afraid of overwhelming the (reduced) support team in the event of a problem that did not get caught during beta test. So, sending it out over time, rather than all getting it at once is a way to avoid another such problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clip
OK, so I just called DTV and they told me something new: everyone will be upgraded to 3.7 by June. (Why would it take so long?) So you definitely want to get you P4 right now because your unit could get 3.7 at any time.

Clip
They are targeting specific P4 Conditional Access Modules to get the 3.7 software, currently. DTV will not alienate P3 (HU Card) owners. Please stop saying it like they will, Thank you. :cool: Once you receive your P4 card you can and will (eventually) get the update at any time forward.

If Clip's information is accurate, it seems this will be done within the next month (MAY). Happy UTV'ing and don't be afraid. Everyone will be taken care of. If not, You can expect some compensation from DirecTV, I assure you. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
As of today 3.7 is still not in the DTV data stream. Nobody has received it via satellite.

My info is that they will not update all UTV's at one time because they don't want to overload customer service with calls from people that don't understand what happened.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, the 3.7 update may cause problems with HU. But what about previous updates? I've had my UTV for well over a year and I'm not sure what software version I have but I'm sure it's in need of an update. Another important piece of info I forgot to mention is that I have never had a phone line contected to my unit. I don't have a jack close enough to reach my unit without running a 100ft of line, so I have never connected it. That's why I know I've never had an update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glove,

The phone line has nothing to do with the upgrades. All software upgrades for the the UTV is VIA the satellite stream. The phone is used for Pay Per View movies and if you use the Web feature of your UTV. You can force the UTV to phone in and download the software but thats not how you get the upgrades...

Imager

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by csgo
As of today 3.7 is still not in the DTV data stream. Nobody has received it via satellite.
At least one person on this forum has the update via satellite (number8), and according to DirecTV people have been getting the update since the beginning of the month.

Clip

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curly Shuffle
I just heard from DirecTV tech support that the new upgrade will be sent 4/22. You need to have a P4 card.
Sigh. It seems like every time someone calls DTV about the update, the techs give a different answer. 4/22 would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Clip

·
Registered
983 Posts
Come on people,

Use your brains. The upgrade will come out when the legal issues regarding the P4 are decided. In the mean time, DTV can't really legally send out cards that may prove to be ILLEGAL!

Yes, some folks have them and they still trickle out via DTV. But for widespread rollout, my bet is you'll see nothing until the courts have their way first.

-PGPfan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PGPFan
Come on people,

Use your brains. The upgrade will come out when the legal issues regarding the P4 are decided. In the mean time, DTV can't really legally send out cards that may prove to be ILLEGAL!

Yes, some folks have them and they still trickle out via DTV. But for widespread rollout, my bet is you'll see nothing until the courts have their way first.

-PGPfan
Thanks PGPFan. I should have added that in my post as well. I think it would be hilarious to find out that these P4 Cards are "illegal" LOL!! :D

It certainly makes sense as to why some of the UTV'ers still dont have their P4 Cards including me. :cool:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Come on people,

-PGPfan
What's this all about? It's the first I've heard of it.

Just a thought, maybe that's the delay with 3.7. They can't upgrade everyone to P4?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

While that's a possibility, I don't think that's the way it will work. Most people already have P4 cards. DTV has an inventory of P4 cards. DTV has a manufacturing contract for P4 cards. DTV has contracted for software to use the DTV cards. That software has been finalized. DTV has announced the imminent release of this software.

At this point, it probably makes more financial sense for DTV to continue with the P4 card and pay the ransom if they lose their court case.

Clip

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where do you look in UTV to find out what version of software it has?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi restart88,

I'll have to look back in my archives, but there has been this on going card legality issue for about 8 months or so.

Clip,

I understand where you are coming from, but the reality is a little different.

DTV 'does' have an inventory of P4 cards, but they can't release them until the legal issue is settled. Some 'do' trickle out, but they certainly aren't 'released'. There are some that shipped with newer systems, and these are largely the only ones that are out 'en-masse'.

DTV has NO contract for their manufacture. Infact herein is the crux of the lawsuit - DTV 'did' at one time have a contract with NDC for the security which has since lapsed. DTV tried to 'roll their own' and produce the P4 'in house'. NDC filed suit against DTV for using their (NDC's) intelectual property in the (DTV produced) P4 without the legal rights to do so.

This is the reason why so many people "in the know" have predicted release dates, and ALL of them are wrong.

-PGPfan

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.