AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only seen one post of people north of the us border upgrade their UTV. And I know the whole discussion of people in Canada getting tv for free. But there are many people who have an address in the US and pay for tv & UTV every month but live up here. As Bell&Sheilla are trying to make even that illegal I won't say if I'm one of those people :)

Anywho, has anyone in the Great white north tried to upgrade their utv units? And if so did you have any problems dialing out for the upgrade? (Specifically in the Toronto area, but even outside)?

Cheers,

IammenotyoU

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wasn't a problem for me (Ottawa area) or a buddy of mine (Montreal). I would assume that it would work from the Toronto but I would also assume that the Leafs would be kicking our buts, so I could be wrong.;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info....will give it a try shortly...

As for the leafs, they're back on their feet again.....but whoever wins, if they play like they did last Saturday, its worth watchin'! :cool:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Guys... I, too am a Canadian. I pay for the UTV service and I subscribe directly to Direct TV. I tried the upgrade with an 80G Maxtor.

When it dials out to WEB TV, it says that from Canada, you must have WEB TV Plus and that I am trying to dial out with a WEB TV classic model. The orange light stays connected but nothing happens.

Any ideas? Perhaps I am doing something wrong. However, I followed directions to a T.

Thanks.

Wayne

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey TivoGuy,

I haven't done the upgrade, but this is just a thought, those of you who did do the upgrade, when did you do it (ruffly), before the 3.5 was sent out or after and what is your closest major city.

Another thought, is could it be the drive, since a lot of people reported problems with the maxtor, could it be recognizing that utv contract WD to supply all drives for utv, and your using a maxtor so....no go. (this is a bit of a far shot)

If all else fails, might have to take the unit south of the border for a couple hours, and visit friends, or rent a cheap motel for an hour or two just to use the phone line to do the upgrade. But lets hope it doesn't come to that, if it does, I hope your close to the border.

Cheers,

IammenotyoU

·
Registered
440 Posts
IammenotyoU:

Just did the upgrade today.... May 9th...

Closest city... Montreal

Will go to USA if necessary... However don't want to take the UTV or TIVO across for obvious reasons... This government sucks... We should just merge with the states and be done with it....

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Wayne, interesting thought, but as bad as our government is, i don't want the US health care system. No offence to anyone in the US, but canada's health care is better :)

Anywho, I brought a tivo and utv across the border in feb./02 with no problems....but with the current laws, i would suggest doing it ASAP before the laws change. Just stick it in your trunk (its an old vcr if they ask you anything)

Cheers,

IammenotyoU

·
Registered
233 Posts
Funny - I was just thinking about hockey and UTV when I stumbled across this thread.

If it wasn't for UTV, I'd have missed the 5-0 beating the Sens put on the Leafs last weeks. Which I enjoying watching over and over and over.

sc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone has a bad night, Toronto rocked last saturday in third period of overtime, and they'll do it again! :D (Especially since I haven't placed any bets on them)

IammenotyoU

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone been able to upgrade their hard drive in Canada - I had heard of it being done in the past, but has antone done it with UTV ver 3.5. Any idea if it is region specific in Canada, maybe the 1-800 is available in some areas but not in others. Has anyone tried the upgrade in British Columbia?

On a similar topic, does anyone know if you try to do the upgrade and you can't connect to MSN, is your hard drive locked with UTV? From what I've read, UTV encrypts the hard drive, is this done before or after it connects with MSN. I'd venture to guess it formats / encrypts before connecting to MSN, but can anyone confirm this.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.