AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been loyal UTV customer for over 6 years now. Everyone in the family is thoroughly addicted to it.

I bit the HD bullet over 5 years ago and have lived with a non-DVR HD receiver in my family room along with a UTV. Since both of these receivers are MPEG2, the HD offerings are limited and most times the family prefers watching/using the UTV.

Well, I have a new HD-DVR coming from D* along with a 5-LNB dish. The HD-DVR, for now, will be in addition my current UTVs in the family room and master bedroom.

If I decide to replace the UTVs in the next month or two (to eliminate paying the monthly UTV fee AND the D* DVR fee), does anyone know if D* will "swap out" each of the UTVs for an HR21?? (Assuming of course that the HR21 is functionally comparable to the UTV).

I'm getting the HD-DVR for free (along with the new LNB, installation, and programming credits) as a retention incentive.

So I am curious if anyone knows if they will do the 'swap out' of old MPEG2 equipment (the UTVs) for comparable MPEG4 equipment (HR21). I know they are swapping non-DVR MPEG2 equipment for comparable MPEG4 equipment.

Anyone know?

TIA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Steve,

I may have had a similar experience to yours a few years ago when my old DRD303RA RCA box dropped out during the "football" card upgrade. I think DirecTV "popped" the old cards if they weren't out by a certain date. Anyway, first tier said they could send me a replacement box but couldn't guarantee what model. I had been a customer for 5 plus years and asked to speak to a supervisor. Since I had found a vendor selling the box I wanted, they ended up crediting the cost of tuner to my account.

I recently inquired about an upgrade last week when I swapped out my UTV back to a standard tuner. The first tier operator response was that they didn't have any specials on the HR16, $99 was the quoted cost. I didn't press, but I think if you ask for a manager, they'll likely work out a deal. They may want a service contract.

Ed

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after trialing the HR21-100 for about a week, we are generally satisfied with its capabilities compared to the UTV. Note that I say "generally" since the lack of PIP is definately gonna be something that is missed. But I can't say that it is worth an additional $10/month to keep the UTVs active. The plethora of HD content and ability to record it outweighs the loss of PIP. And there are some nice features that the UTVs don't have -- live buffering of current channel even though box is 'off', VOD, Mediashare/networking, external SATA drives for storage expansion, etc.

So, I got back to D* (actually customer retention) and told them that I wanted to "swap out" my 2 UTV's for 2 HD-DVR's without charge. They agreed -- I think it may have helped that I called CR very angry that the 2 receivers that had been ordered two weeks earlier on the "swap out" had not arrived and that the orders somehow got lost (no record whatsoever) in their system.

We are starting to wean ourselves off the UTVs -- switching some recurring program recordings to the HD-DVRs and dumping off old recordings to DVD. Once the recordings have been dumped, the UTVS will be de-activated.

Overall, though, I cannot complain with what I've received. In addition to some time, energy, and aggravation, D* has provided the following free of charge: 1 new 5-LNB slimline dish (installed), 1 new 6x8 multi-switch (installed), 3 (yes, three) HD-DVRs, and 2 HD receivers (non-DVR), 1 year of HD service ($10 credit applied each month), 3 months of HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime/TMC movie packages.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SteveK2 ... please keep us UTV'ers informed as to your satisfaction with the HR-21 and any D* problems. I, for one, am looking at a changeover in the months to come.

Of special interest … let us know, other than PIP, what we will like/dislike about the HD-DVR.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts