AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have to start a new thread because I can't find the one this was brought up in today.

A thread talking about light leaking out of a hole in the front of someone's DLP started a discussion about the lamp outputing UV light that is dangerous to the eyes. This UV light is apparantly "filtered" out before it hits the screen.

I want to learn more about this since my young kids will be watching Barney (and such) on my Samsung 467. How good is the filter? How would you know if the filter dislodged in shipment? Do any technical experts know if the optics themselves (glass lenses) do the filtering?

My concern is not about a small hole in the speaker grille of the TV (original thread's subject, and probably an anomaly). I'm thinking about watching the screen itself. Obviously Samsung is not going to design a dangerous product. I just want to be more knowledgeable about this because defects do happen.

Thanks,

Sooke

·
2,432 Posts
I don't think that Sammy would be able to get this set to market in the USA if there was a real concern about UV light. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first or last time.

I do recall reading some techs conversation about being careful of working on the light engine while it was on or looking into the back of the set due to strong UV light.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
HHHmmmmm.......so that's where the tan has been comming from:eek:

You got to love it when you get to watch HD and tan at the same time:D Crack open a cold one to top it off and life doesn't get much better than that:) ...pass the sunscreen please;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.