AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the video part in the manual.. But I'm still not sure. I know the receiver will take component & will scale through HDMI to 720p/1080i/1080p.. I have the reciever connected through my TV via the HDMI output.. So, would all I need to do is connect a component cable to the receiver & my PS3? Setting the PS3 to 480p, (no 480i that I can see) will the reciever scale to my TV's native resolution? I know the PS3 has no internal scaler, & want to see if theres a PQ difference.. I noticed my games look sharper,(placebo maybe?) but my PS3 was only connected to HDMI & not analog, so I don't think scaling took place..

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My PS3 will upscale to 1080p.

You should be able to output 480p over component, so that you can upscale it. Just realize that you are forcing a digital to analog back to digital conversion to accomplish your goal of using the receiver's scaler. I would think any benefits of using the receiver's scaler (if any) would be countered by having to convert to and from analog (assuming you have an addressable pixel display e.g. plasma, LCD)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/14278198

My PS3 will upscale to 1080p.

You should be able to output 480p over component, so that you can upscale it. Just realize that you are forcing a digital to analog back to digital conversion to accomplish your goal of using the receiver's scaler. I would think any benefits of using the receiver's scaler (if any) would be countered by having to convert to and from analog (assuming you have an addressable pixel display e.g. plasma, LCD)

ah.. Thank you.. I'm using a 1080i CRT..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts